Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Actually, we believe we come to earth for several reasons, but to answer your question, you can't learn to be god-like in Heaven. It takes a mortal experience.
Odd. Being in the presence of God means you can't learn to be god-like. Being on earth, separated from Him, means you can. Interesting theory.

Oh wait.....that's right, Mormons believe God was once a man.

On what planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Odd. Being in the presence of God means you can't learn to be god-like. Being on earth, separated from Him, means you can. Interesting theory.
It's easy to behave when in the presence of deity; it is a true test of one’s character and potential to learn to be god-like without remembering and surrounded by distractions. It’s called separating the wheat from the chaff.

Quote:
Oh wait.....that's right, Mormons believe God was once a man.

On what planet?
I don’t know; I’ll ask Him when I see Him again.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Quote:
It's easy to behave when in the presence of deity; it is a true test of one’s character and potential to learn to be god-like without remembering and surrounded by distractions. It’s called separating the wheat from the chaff.
Perhaps we could substitute "being filled with God's spirit" for the term 'god-like.' I think that it's more of being one with God, rather than being god-like.

The test would be the behavior when Man supposes that his behavior doesn't matter. Most children behave better when daddy is in the room. The adult child is no different.

There would be some doubt that Satan and his other demons were filled with His spirit no matter how they may act.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
That's why Satan and all the demons were cast out of Heaven, huh? Because they were behaving in God's presence, right?
No, and as you note, apparently Satan and a third part of Heaven's host did not learn to be god-like in the presence of God; therefore, it appears some other lessons and experiences are necessary beyond being near Him.

Quote:
So you're saying God is powerless to know who would truly obey Him in Heaven, and somehow needs to send them to earth to give them free reign? Kinda limits God, don't you think? Calls into question the whole "omniscience" part of God's nature, doesn't it?
I wrote nothing of the kind. I am sure God knows precisely who and who will not obey, but being a fair and just God, He is obligated to give everyone a chance to prove themselves. Unfortunately, Rob, you do not understand enough LDS doctrine, so any further explanation would be too laborious. Suffice it to say, we believe God must obey His own rules; free agency is one of those rules, and He must allow us to make choices.

Quote:
Why don't you ask him who created him.
Thanks for reminding me; that’s another question I will be sure to ask Him when I see Him again.

Quote:
Let's say for example that God....or more to the point, god (lower-case "g" there, because I don't accept your god as the supreme being)..... as you claim him to be is labeled "god Barney". Since you believe god Barney was once a man, just like us (isn't that what Mormons believe?), that implies he was a created being. Sooooooo.......who created god Barney? Wasn't there a different god that created him? I mean, it stands to reason, doesn't it? So let's call that creator "god Walter.”
Men of much greater intelligence than I have asked this question from the beginning of time and as of yet we have no answer. Perhaps you could inquire of the source in which you do believe or have faith for an answer as to where God or all the matter in the universe comes from. I know science is still working on the problem.

Quote:
it throws Jesus' words right out the window when He stated there was only ONE god. Unless the trinity isn't really a trinity, but is instead a quadruplicity. Or maybe god Walter just got bored, and decided he'd had enough and experienced all he wanted to experience, so he allowed himself to die. (That's a disheartening thought, isn't it?)
God the Father is your God, just as your father is your father; however, it does not mean you don’t have a grandfather. I don’t know what those who live in Heaven actually do. I suspect they continue to create and expand the universe. I’m not sure if you have an interest in such things, but I watch the Learning Channel quite a bit. All of the science programs indicate the universe is expanding and new planets, suns, solar systems, and galaxies are formed on a constant basis. Is this growth the work of one god or a number of gods? I know what I believe; you are free to choose what you believe.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Yeah, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality