Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
They should just go find a religion that condones their behavior instead of twisting the religions of other people. ITS RUDE.
I think most of the time they do. They gravitate toward groups like the Metropolitan Community Church, Presbyterian Church (USA), or the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Many of these denominations are well established mainstream denominations. It is certainly not rude to differ in interpretation of scripture or in doctrine. I certainly did not feel that those Methodists were "twisting" my Baptist flavor of Christianity, with their Weslyan doctrine and their infant baptism, even though I believed they were un-Biblical and wrong. Why would I be any more offended at specific branches of Lutherans or Presbyterians for their distinctive beliefs?

-NoCapo

Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
They should just go find a religion that condones their behavior instead of twisting the religions of other people. ITS RUDE.
And people who condemn and discriminate against loving gay and lesbian couples should go find a religion that condones their behavior instead of twisting Christ's teachings. Oh wait, they have. It's called Fundamentalism, not Christianity.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
A homosexual who believes in God is no different from any other sinner who believes in God. We all have sinned. We all must admit and repent of our sins and try to stop sinning. It is not in man's nature not to sin, and it is difficult to give up favorite sins such as lust, drunkeness, gluttony, etc. We will not succeed in not sinning, but we must try to keep heading in that direction. Perfection is a direction, not a destination.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Really, when it comes down to it, it depends on who's definition of tolerance we use. Tolerance is not shouting down anyone that dares to say someone is wrong. True tolerance is agreeing to have differing opinions. The left isn't very tolerant of anyone else with a differing opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Perhaps we should use the definition that is backed up by facts and reality, instead of ignorant men speaking for their man made god (i.e. themselves)...

I'd say you really don't know what intolerance means. Or tolerance for that matter.

Being tolerant of ignorance, bigotry and hate is not a virtue. And ridiculing those who regard those as virtues is not intolerance.

Having an opinion is one thing. Using those opinions to denigrate a group of people and deny them equality and civil rights is quite another. Sorry but those types of opinions should never be tolerated in a rational, thinking society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
So you want everyone to only have opinions that you think are acceptable. You must be a liberal.

As for myself, I would rather live with ignorant bigots than with people who are self-righteous.
From dictionary.reference.com:

Tolerance, noun
1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.

4. the act or capacity of enduring; endurance: My tolerance of noise is limited.

Medicine/Medical, Immunology . 5 a. the power of enduring or resisting the action of a drug, poison, etc.: a tolerance to antibiotics.
5 b. the lack of or low levels of immune response to transplanted tissue or other foreign substance that is normally immunogenic.

It seems to me that definitions 1 and 2 are appropriate here.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Most religion only adopted a homophobia view in the early 1900's. People usually don't go back far enough to actually understand how their religion has been manipulated by people over time.

I hope you realize that burning or drowning people with mental disabilities for being possessed or being witches was just a manipulation of your religion. Same with homophobia. These ideals are just manipulations of what your religious books mean by people. You can change your ideals anytime you want to. You could accept gay people without guilt if you felt like it. Overtime people would forget the crappy things you did to others because they were gay. Just like they did with people you burned for being witches. It will just be a story of how you messed up for a period of time. It happens.

The Puritans really messed things up for the American religious, they were a bit freaky. You should finish correcting it and live in peace. It's ok to stop burning gays now. The gays aren't the ones who twisted your religion. That would be you.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:

As for myself, I would rather live with ignorant bigots than with people who are self-righteous.
Anti-gay religious conservatives always embody both in my experience. The most condemned people in the Bible by Jesus were self-righteous religious conservatives. Those who cling to the law and judge other's sins, while ignoring their own and pretending they are right with God.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
There are 38,000 denominations of Christianity. Many if not most Christians do not oppose gays, only the ultra conservative/Fundie versions do, and they don't follow Jesus' teachings anyway. And what's rude is you all using the Bible and God to justify hating people you don't understand.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
So you want everyone to only have opinions that you think are acceptable.
LOL! That would make me a Christian and/or a conservative, which I am most definitely NOT, thanks.

No, unlike you I want people to have opinions that are based on intelligence and reason.

Quote:
You must be a liberal.

Yes, I am a "liberal" as you call it and damn proud of it - as it is WE who have been responsible for every victory and advancement in liberty, equality, justice and freedom in history. While YOU and your ilk have ever been a willing wrench in the cogs of progress and (thankfully) ever on the losing side of that war.

Ignorant bigots by definition are self righteous. And you definitely belong in both of those camps.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
A homosexual who believes in God is no different from any other sinner who believes in God. We all have sinned. We all must admit and repent of our sins and try to stop sinning. It is not in man's nature not to sin, and it is difficult to give up favorite sins such as lust, drunkeness, gluttony, etc. We will not succeed in not sinning, but we must try to keep heading in that direction. Perfection is a direction, not a destination.
This presumes that God holds the view that homosexuality is a sin, or believes in the concept of sin at all.

Belief in God does not default to the Biblical deity and his creators' prejudices. The Biblical god is certainly not a very rational god to believe in.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Yes, I am a "liberal" as you call it and damn proud of it - as it is WE who have been responsible for every victory and advancement in liberty, equality, justice and freedom in history. While YOU and your ilk have ever been a willing wrench in the cogs of progress and (thankfully) ever on the losing side of that war.

Ignorant bigots by definition are self righteous. And you definitely belong in both of those camps.
The attitude liberals are known for. Beware of them if you like to think for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality