Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times

Advertisements

I see a new type of Christian that is fast gaining numbers, a new type of Christian that is leaving the old ways behind, the old ways of the fire and brimstone and the belief in hell and turning more towards loving your neighbor no matter what their belief or sexual orientation may be, becoming more tolerant and understanding. We live in a very tumultuous time, this is not new, what is new is the acceptance of one another as human beings and realizing that deep down inside we're all the same, we all have the same desires and the same goals in life. We need to put aside our animosities and hatred just because someone has a different color skin or believe in a different deity does not make them any less human. I see these new young Christians throwing off the yoke of the organized religion and claiming their freedom from the old antiquated ways of thinking and of treating one another with disrespect. I would welcome that Christian in my home and as my brother or sister. It's time for us as a species of human beings to come together and treat one another with respect and understanding, it's time for us to treat one another as brothers and sisters.osay

Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I see a new type of Christian that is fast gaining numbers, a new type of Christian that is leaving the old ways behind, the old ways of the fire and brimstone and the belief in hell and turning more towards loving your neighbor no matter what their belief or sexual orientation may be, becoming more tolerant and understanding. We live in a very tumultuous time, this is not new, what is new is the acceptance of one another as human beings and realizing that deep down inside we're all the same, we all have the same desires and the same goals in life. We need to put aside our animosities and hatred just because someone has a different color skin or believe in a different deity does not make them any less human. I see these new young Christians throwing off the yoke of the organized religion and claiming their freedom from the old antiquated ways of thinking and of treating one another with disrespect. I would welcome that Christian in my home and as my brother or sister. It's time for us as a species of human beings to come together and treat one another with respect and understanding, it's time for us to treat one another as brothers and sisters.osay
I hope for which you see. Be easy, friend.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I'm sure that many religious people simply ignore their specific religious tenets if they feel those tenets simply unjust. But many who are devout in their religion do not ignore the tenets no matter how absurd they may be. Many of those people who violate their religious doctrines go on to feel tremendous guilt.

I'm sure that there are religiously devout gays who find it impossible to resist their natural urges, so they partake in gay sexual activities, but often at the price of pointless faith-based guilt.
Being a life-long Atheist, I don't know anything about religious guilt. Does it really exist for a lot of people?

Instead of carrying around guilt and feeling bad, I would guess that most people find ways to rationalize their behavior, as you mentioned in your first sentence.

Can religious people really go through life believing they are disobeying the commandmants of their god? I think that would be a very tough cross to bear.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
So as long as he doesn't stand for anything you're ok with him? That's not very tolerant. Tolerance isn't ignoring our differences -- it's choosing to love one another in spite of them. Are you willing to do that? I'm ok with you telling me I'm wrong. Can you handle the same?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So as long as he doesn't stand for anything you're ok with him? That's not very tolerant. Tolerance isn't ignoring our differences -- it's choosing to love one another in spite of them. Are you willing to do that? I'm ok with you telling me I'm wrong. Can you handle the same?

Tolerance is accepting individuals for what they are and what they believe, whether it be a particular belief or a lifestyle and whether you agree or not, and not trying to force your beliefs on them. My Spiritual belief is for me and not for everybody and I know that. I do not try to convert anybody to my belief nor do I tell anybody that their belief is wrong for them, How a person believes in their particular deity is entirely up to them, it is their choice and a choice that I cannot make for them, nor should I have to.

As far as somebody who doesn't stand for anything, I'm okay with that, that's their choice, not mine and it's not up to me to tell them if the way they believe is right or not. That's tolerance but it's also acceptance.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
AMEN!!!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Tolerance is accepting individuals for what they are and what they believe, whether it be a particular belief or a lifestyle and whether you agree or not, and not trying to force your beliefs on them. My Spiritual belief is for me and not for everybody and I know that.

I couldn't force my beliefs on you if I tried. It's not up to me. But on the same token, I should be able to live my faith out. Our country guarantees us that right. You have a right to practice your spirituality, and I have a right to practice mine.
Quote:

I do not try to convert anybody to my belief nor do I tell anybody that their belief is wrong for them, How a person believes in their particular deity is entirely up to them, it is their choice and a choice that I cannot make for them, nor should I have to.
Quote:
I'm fine with that. Honest question though...aren't your religious beliefs worth sharing with others? Aren't you a spiritual elder of some sort? (Honest question, I'm not sure what exactly your religion is...just that it's Native American). Aren't you an authority figure within your religion?
Quote:

As far as somebody who doesn't stand for anything, I'm okay with that, that's their choice, not mine and it's not up to me to tell them if the way they believe is right or not. That's tolerance but it's also acceptance.
You've been pretty vocal to me in a few posts about how you think I'm wrong. I assume you'll be stopping that now?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM

[quote=Vizio;27443850]I couldn't force my beliefs on you if I tried. It's not up to me. But on the same token, I should be able to live my faith out. Our country guarantees us that right. You have a right to practice your spirituality, and I have a right to practice mine.

I have never said that you or anyone else could never practice your belief or non belief, that's not up to me to decide, that decision is yours to make and only yours and you should never let anyone else tell you how to believe or what to believe.

[I'm fine with that. Honest question though...aren't your religious beliefs worth sharing with others? Aren't you a spiritual elder of some sort? (Honest question, I'm not sure what exactly your religion is...just that it's Native American). Aren't you an authority figure within your religion?]

Fair enough for the honest question, here's an honest answer.

My Spiritual beliefs are the teachings that were handed down to me by my ancestors and that I in turn will be hand down to my students (family) and only if they come to me and ask. I have taught three generations of my family about the ancient ways of our ancestors. It is not a religion, it is a way of life, it is a culture that is over 25,000 years old. No, I am not an authority figure within my religion. I am a Spiritual Elder. Which means I am a keeper of the ancient spiritual ways and rituals of our people.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:58 PM

344 posts, read 396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Being a life-long Atheist, I don't know anything about religious guilt. Does it really exist for a lot of people?

Instead of carrying around guilt and feeling bad, I would guess that most people find ways to rationalize their behavior, as you mentioned in your first sentence.

Can religious people really go through life believing they are disobeying the commandmants of their god? I think that would be a very tough cross to bear.
I am no sociologist but I think the numbers carrying faith-based guilt are probably significant, especially if looking globally. I'm speaking of guilt for what are really moral acts that are deemed immoral only by religious doctrines. I am referring to such things as homosexuality, out-of-wedlock sex, even masturbation. I would guess that the level of guilt a person feels is probably equivalent to his level of religious obedience.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
From time to time, I see posts that claim organized religions have rules against homosexual acts.

How do homosexuals deal with this? Do they avoid organized religions, or do they simply ignore the rules of their religion, as many people do on other issues?

Still, it must be tough for them. I'm glad homosexuality is more accepted these days.
There are three ways you can deal with it.

1. Re-interpret the Bible so the scriptures dealing with homosexuality don't really mean what they say

2. Ignore them: We are all sinners so inherently homosexuality is no different than any other sin

3. Remain celibate: The Bible condemns same-sex sex not homosexual orientation itself so same-sex attracted people who hold to the traditional view are required to remain celibate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality