Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times

Advertisements

A theist here. But I don't think everyone who has been near death has had an NDE. There were several occasion I had the pleasure of being pronounced dead. Twice from traumatic injuries and once from a heart Attack. No real memories of either.

However, One time I spent over a month in a coma. During that time, although I could not move, speak or respond I was very much aware of my surroundings. Yes, I did feel pain, but could not respond to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A theist here. But I don't think everyone who has been near death has had an NDE. There were several occasion I had the pleasure of being pronounced dead. Twice from traumatic injuries and once from a heart Attack. No real memories of either.

However, One time I spent over a month in a coma. During that time, although I could not move, speak or respond I was very much aware of my surroundings. Yes, I did feel pain, but could not respond to it.
Most NDE's do not have visions of the afterlife--only about 15% have them. But with roughly 15 million experiences in the US alone 15% works out to about 300,000. Eliminate 90% as not being up to stringent standards of researchers and that still leaves 40,000 or so that researchers say are veridical.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
I really really want to belive in life after death...my heart believes, but my brain fights it.
my question is...what do folks think of NDE? also, I've been knocked out for procedures and do not have any recollection of the experience which makes me worry that if I cant remember being knocked out for an endoscopy then I really will be toast during the big KO.
Is being KO'd for a procedure any indication to what will happen during death???
hope not!!
The topic of NDE's never dies does it? I had a NDE during cardiac arrest. I've also had two surgeries, quintuple bypass and lumbar. During neither of those did I have a NDE.

I've never been able to quite figure out my NDE. I've participated in a couple of studies and surveys by NDE researcher Dr. Bruce Greyson. The NDE had an impact on me for I went on to become a Baptist pastor. What amuses me is how those who've never had a NDE think they know all about them because they've read about them. For example, someone once told me I couldn't have had a NDE because I am a Baptist. I guess my denomination choice determines my ability to have a NDE in his brain.

I have no idea why NDE's happen to some and not others. If anyone tells me they do know I'd run the other direction. Whether they are spiritual in origin or as one cardiologist told me, "the brain's nerve transmitters firing erratically," is truly unknown.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
The topic of NDE's never dies does it? I had a NDE during cardiac arrest. I've also had two surgeries, quintuple bypass and lumbar. During neither of those did I have a NDE.

I've never been able to quite figure out my NDE. I've participated in a couple of studies and surveys by NDE researcher Dr. Bruce Greyson. The NDE had an impact on me for I went on to become a Baptist pastor. What amuses me is how those who've never had a NDE think they know all about them because they've read about them. For example, someone once told me I couldn't have had a NDE because I am a Baptist. I guess my denomination choice determines my ability to have a NDE in his brain.

I have no idea why NDE's happen to some and not others. If anyone tells me they do know I'd run the other direction. Whether they are spiritual in origin or as one cardiologist told me, "the brain's nerve transmitters firing erratically," is truly unknown.
You're right in that we can't say definitively that nothing other than the brain's erratic activity can cause NDE's, but we do know that the brain's erratic activity can cause NDE's. Without evidence that anything else does, we can say with high confidence that erratic brain activity causes NDE's.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You're right in that we can't say definitively that nothing other than the brain's erratic activity can cause NDE's, but we do know that the brain's erratic activity can cause NDE's. Without evidence that anything else does, we can say with high confidence that erratic brain activity causes NDE's.
There is indeed lots of talk about NDE's around here, but the ONE aspect that I have raised repeatedly that NO ONE will dare venture an explanation is the fact that brain-dead people know EXACTLY what's going on in the OR while they are clinically dead. People will talk about the brain releasing chemicals all day long but they WILL NOT try to explain the other because frankly they have to logical way to explain it.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There is indeed lots of talk about NDE's around here, but the ONE aspect that I have raised repeatedly that NO ONE will dare venture an explanation is the fact that brain-dead people know EXACTLY what's going on in the OR while they are clinically dead. People will talk about the brain releasing chemicals all day long but they WILL NOT try to explain the other because frankly they have to logical way to explain it.
Clinically dead is defined as the loss of blood circulation and breathing. The brain can still function for a period of time afterward, though being deprived of new oxygen. It is this deprevation that spurs erratic brain activity and can cause the sensation of NDE's. I'm not sure why this hasn't been explained previously.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
I have not heard of any person diagnosed as brain dead, being revived. I am not implying there never have been, just saying I never read of any verified case.

If you have a link regarding this happening please post it.

There probably are unlimited Possible explanations for NDEs.

But the problem is most of them can not be replicated, measured nor verified.

So far there does not seem to be any physical means of analyzing most of them.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have not heard of any person diagnosed as brain dead, being revived. I am not implying there never have been, just saying I never read of any verified case.

If you have a link regarding this happening please post it.

There probably are unlimited Possible explanations for NDEs.

But the problem is most of them can not be replicated, measured nor verified.

So far there does not seem to be any physical means of analyzing most of them.
I posted the link previously but I'll do it again for brevity. Scroll past the mp3 for the transcript below it:

94. Dr. Jeffrey Long’s Near-Death Experience Research a “Game Changer” for Science | Skeptiko - Science at the Tipping Point

The argument about no respiration and the brain still having oxygen is a non sequitur. It has no basis in fact and was disproved years ago.

Quote:
When you have a cardiac arrest, which means your heart stops, immediately blood stops flowing to the brain. Unconsciousness occurs within seconds and within about 10 to 20 seconds of people that have a cardiac arrest, the EEG electroencephalogram or measurement of brain electrical activity, goes absolutely flat. During that period in time, it is impossible to have an organized, conscious experience.
Quote:
Well, let’s talk about some of the best evidence the way I see it that indicates that near-death experiences are not REM intrusion. REM intrusion is rapid eye movement and that involves having visual stimuli. I think the class of near-death experiences that single-handedly refutes REM intrusion as being the cause of all near-death experiences are those that occur in the blind, including the blind from birth.
Quote:
Every single one of these over 60 near-death experiencers that reported checking or verifying their own observations found that they were absolutely correct in every detail. There’s no question about that. If there was any cause of brain dysfunction, hypoxia chemicals, REM intrusion, anything that could possibly cause brain dysfunction and create hallucinatory, illusionary experiences, none of that is happening.
Really I could provide twenty meaningful lines of proof like the above but space won't permit. Jeffrey Long is one of the foremost researchers into NDE's and he's absolutely convinced after years of research that they are real. So are dozens of other physicians who have researched them. These physicians have made hundreds of videos that are available on YouTube for anyone who wants to invest the time to study them. For the skeptics who have already made up their minds, despite any evidence to the contrary, it would be pointless.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
1. are you a licensed physician?
Personal questions about me are irrelevant and off topic. Address the post not the poster. Address what I said in the post, not who you think is saying it.

Quote:
If you're an MD I will give more thought to your replies because you're obviously an expert of some sort.
That is called "Appeal to Authority". My qualifications, which are none of your business, do not lend weight to what I say. What I am saying stands in and of itself. What I say is either true, or not. Accurate, or not. The letters after my name are irrelevant. Again: Address the post content, not the poster.

Quote:
2. if all this is simply the product of the brain, then why are so many prominent physicians such as Pim van Lommel, Sam Parnia, Kenneth Ring, Melvin Morse, Michael Sabom, Jeffrey Long and a dozen other prominent physicians studying these experiences so intensely.
Because they should do so. I have NOTHING against studying these things. It is a good thing.

The REASON why we study some of these things in our field is very clear. We want to learn about the brain and how and why it works.

And one thing we know better than anything else is that if you want to understand how something works, then the BEST way to do this is study version of it that are not working as normal and understand why.

When it comes to the brain this is _exactly_ why we study NDE, brain damage, unusual personality traits or delusions and much more.

Take for example the work of VS Ramachandran. He actively seeks out people with damaged or unusual brains. And by comparing them to "normal" brains he has pushed forward the frontier of knowledge in neuroscience in leaps and bounds. He is often described as the Napoleon of Neuroscience.

Quote:
They are trying to get studies funded but powerful atheistic interests want these experiences squelched
Nonsense. You are making up conspiracy theories now. The science community actively wants such experiences studied. They have much to tell us about the nature of the brain and consciousness.

Again take the work of VS Ramachandran with "Blind Sight".

"Blind sight" is where entirely blind people can see. It sounds magical doesnt it? Their visual cortex was totally destroyed but in some ways they can still "see". No one could explain this. So of course people like you rushed in to make up all kinds of meta and supernatural explanations for it.

But Ramachandran found a guy who was blind but if you MOVED an object in front of him he could tell you which direction it moved. How was this possible? Ramachandran found out. He discovered a previously ENTIRELY unknown visual pathway that was evolutionarily "older" than our main one. All this pathway can "see" is motion. Nothing else. It is similar to the visual brain structure in lizards who can not "see" the flies they catch so expertly with their long tongues.... but they simply "see" motion.

My studying the unusual experience therefore Ramachandran learned about a whole visual pathway in the brain that no one knew about before. We LEARN from studying unusual experience.

So when you present uncontrolled second and third hand anecdotes about people who have experiences during periods you believe they should not have been able to then there are several explanations possible:

1) Your fantasy might be right that they somehow leave their body. So far NOTHING substantiates this view however.

2) The experiences they claim did not actually happen during the period you claim it does, but before or after.

3) The experiences were modified or invented due to poor interviewing techniques, which alas happens a LOT more often than you think.

4) Similar to "blind sight" there may be other pathways of sight, sound, touch, smell and so forth we simply do not know of yet.

5) Someone somewhere might simply be lying with an agenda.

My expectation is that it is all a combination of 2, 3, and 5. My hope is that all these studies help us find out more about 4 however. And thus far nothing.... not just very little but NOTHING...... lends even a modicum of credence or expectation to 1.

Quote:
The questions you pose I cannot answer. I'm upfront about that. I can just say that we wouldn't see a predominantly atheist group of physicians wasting their time and efforts studying these NDE's if there was absolutely nothing to them.
But again, as I described above, no one is claiming "there is nothing to them". There is LOTS "to them" which is why these physicians study them.

What there is "nothing to" is YOUR interpretation and explanation of them. That is a separate thing entirely and you are conflating the two which is leading to you being confused as to why atheist physicians want to study them.... and your wholesale invention of an atheist agenda and conspiracy theory to maintain some kind of imagined "status quo" in science. You are in fantasy la la land with that too.

In summary: We want to study these things, AT LENGTH, because there is something going on there and we want to understand how and what. We simply do not subscribe to YOUR interpretation and explanations of what is going on here. Because yours are entirely unsubstantiated nonsense based on nothing but open questions that you want your answers to be correct for.

Quote:
Nozz, you were inquiring about why there are no studies.
Erm I never said such a thing anywhere ever. I never said there were no studies. I said there were no studies showing a particular given RESULT.

If I said the bakery had no pink cakes would you go around claiming I said the bakery had no cakes?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM

You put forth a powerfully persuasive argument, nozz. I can't refute it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality