Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You need to learn some history of your own religion and country there genius.

First, the puritans (the christians who founded this country), outlawed christmas trees as PAGAN. As a matter of fact they would not give gifts, allow caroling, and generally ignored the entire day. As a matter of fact, there is NOTHING in the bible about christmas trees, they are purely a SECULAR addition used in an attempt to lure non-christians into christianity.
I'm not a Puritan. Honestly...I don't really care what they did.
Quote:
Second, yes, many non-christian people celebrate winter by bringing in holly, trees, and mistletoe as symbols of eternal life. Decorating them even. Oh and as buddism is not a religion, and a decorated tree really has NOTHING to do with the birth of christ, they have no problem with holiday trees, and in fact put them up as well.
I've never met anyone that decorates trees in December that wasn't celebrating Christmas. Be they Christian or not.
Quote:
Finally, nothing you have shown, shows that calling a public tree a "holiday tree" is not acceptable. Other holidays exist, acknowledging them is not only fair, it is the CHRISTIAN thing to do.
As I've said....we've just gotten tired of the political correctness of people whining about public displays of religion. If you want to celebrate the solstice by celebrating a tree...knock yourself out. Call it whatever you want. But if someone wants to put up a Christmas tree in mid-December....they should be allowed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Maybe because we're sick of being bullied by politically-correct leftists.
Where the heck is all this bullying?

I'm a Christian. I have never, EVER been bullied for my beliefs. In fact half the time the non-believers are quietly pulling me aside to say something like, "I don't believe but I know you do. My brother-in-law has cancer. Will you please pray for him?"

I've also had people cuss a blue streak in front of me then turn and say, "Sorry. I know your a Christian and I didn't mean to offend you." (I usually say, "No problem. I can see you're frustrated/angry/upset.")

So where is all this bullying and disrespect? If someone feels bullied I suggest they take a look at how they treat other people. Especially the Christians among us who tend to get holier-than-thou, judgmental, and disrespectful of other beliefs. Because I've never quite figured out why so many Christians are so tremendously intolerant of anyone who doesn't share their to-the-letter beliefs about Christ and the Bible.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not a Puritan. Honestly...I don't really care what they did.
Obviously you do not care, but it is still a fact that christmas, and chrsitianity have no always been sympatico.

Quote:
I've never met anyone that decorates trees in December that wasn't celebrating Christmas. Be they Christian or not.
Who cares who you have or have not met? You are not the deciding factor for anything, regarding the government of the fine nation. That is what we have the constitution for, and separation means you either include all religions, or exclude all of them. The holiday tree is the inclusive one.

Quote:
As I've said....we've just gotten tired of the political correctness of people whining about public displays of religion. If you want to celebrate the solstice by celebrating a tree...knock yourself out. Call it whatever you want. But if someone wants to put up a Christmas tree in mid-December....they should be allowed to.
Yes, in their HOME. If my tax dollars are paying for it, and we are in the US of A where separation of church and state is the law of the land, than call the thing a holiday tree when it on public property.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Obviously you do not care, but it is still a fact that christmas, and chrsitianity have no always been sympatico.

Who cares who you have or have not met? You are not the deciding factor for anything, regarding the government of the fine nation. That is what we have the constitution for, and separation means you either include all religions, or exclude all of them. The holiday tree is the inclusive one.

Yes, in their HOME. If my tax dollars are paying for it, and we are in the US of A where separation of church and state is the law of the land, than call the thing a holiday tree when it on public property.
Good job. I don't understand why this is so difficult of a concept to grasp. It seems the theists have become so accustomed to being catered to, they've become a bit spoiled.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Christmas tree is a celebration of Christmas and to Christians who are not of the legalism group see this tree as the three angled symbol for the Trinity of God .... And the coniferous tree and an evergreen , everlasting life , and the cedar type tree as the hope , as Hope chests are made of cedar , as they keeps the bugs away .... Were in the bible from 1 Kings 9: 11 King Solomon used cedar and fir trees to build a Tabernacle of God , which would be a dwelling place for God Spirit ..And God used the Tabernacle for His great Power for couple Hundred years , then with some lesser power the years which followed......

Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Christmas tree is a celebration of Christmas and to Christians who are not of the legalism group see this tree as the three angled symbol for the Trinity of God .... And the coniferous tree and an evergreen , everlasting life , and the cedar type tree as the hope , as Hope chests are made of cedar , as they keeps the bugs away .... Were in the bible from 1 Kings 9: 11 King Solomon used cedar and fir trees to build a Tabernacle of God , which would be a dwelling place for God Spirit ..And God used the Tabernacle for His great Power for couple Hundred years , then with some lesser power the years which followed......
Now, THAT's a stretch. After all of my years attending church, approx. 30, I've never heard this.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
It's a "Christ-Mass-Tree"

cause The Saint Nick of The Catholics say so.

It's his Tree. "Oh,Oh,Oh, Mary-Christ-Mass.

Catholics please claim your Santa Clause Tree.

I gave up The Catholic Christ-Mass years ago.

No Tree No Santa Clause gifts 'under the tree'.

Talk about True Peace?
No shopping for a bunch of stuff no one really needs or most the time even wants anyway.

Yes, my family didn't like it the first few years. But now their use to it.
And glad they don't have to buy me stuff either.

As far as decorating the house goes?

I ajust it to the seasons and not reasons of others.

There is one thing Jesus said to do "In Remembrance Of Me".
It wasn't give out gifts for His birth.

But eating Bread & Wine for His death.
Gee, I know that's not as much fun for everyone.
But, it wasn't much fun for Him either.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The thing is, in its inception, it was objectively a 'holiday' tree. Christmas is not the only holiday that has been celebrated around a decorated indoor tree. The Christmas connection is modern. For Christian to adopt a secular tradition and then claim ownership of it baffles me.

So if a Christian sets up a specifically Christian holiday tree, I will admire the pretty baubles, say, "Good job on the Christmas tree.", and move on to a real problem.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
True.

"The customs of the people are false:
One cuts a tree from the forest
the work of the hands of a workman with an Ax.

They decorate it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with nails and a hammer
so that it will not topple..." - Jer.10:3

And Catholics gave it this name "Christ-Mass-Tree".

But can one really call it Holiday Tree?
When Holiday means Holy-Day-Tree?

How about a Customary-Tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality