Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,207,649 times

Advertisements

So is a child not as worthy as an adult?
Is a heathen, or heretic or whatever not equally important as a Christian?
Are men more important than women?
If a house is on fire should we rescue the 1st born first or the 2nd born or the 3rd, 4th or 5th?

Why am I asking myself these ridiculous questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,313,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So is a child not as worthy as an adult?
Is a heathen, or heretic or whatever not equally important as a Christian?
Are men more important than women?
If a house is on fire should we rescue the 1st born first or the 2nd born or the 3rd, 4th or 5th?

Why am I asking myself these ridiculous questions?
To use your metaphor, the difference, I think, between a heathen and a Christian might look like this;
If the house was on fire, the Christian would give thanks to the fireman.
The heathen would refuse the help.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Of course the christian is always the good person and the non-christian is always the evil one.

I forgot.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Default S.O.P are probably not religious, or they shouldn't be!

Originally Posted by Oakback
Quote:
To use your metaphor, the difference, I think, between a heathen and a Christian might look like this;
If the house was on fire, the Christian would give thanks to the fireman.
The heathen would refuse the help.
I don't think that anyone who has been saved from death would be ungrateful (unless the person wanted to die).
I think that the difference is that the rescue of the infants are better handled by a heathen or atheist fireman than a Christian fireman. An atheist fireman would not be distracted by his faith (or lack of it) in order to save people in need. An atheist faith (or lack of it) would not conflict with a rescue procedure.
A Christian fireman, depending on his denomination, might even inquire first if those in need are Christian or not, because he might feel compelled to rescue Christians first or heathens last.
I mean if it already is such a dilemma for Christians whether babies or children of a certain age do or do not get into heaven I do not find it hard to believe that Christian firemen have a greater chance to be distracted by their faith instead of following (atheist) standard operating procedure.
I don't think that you can switch of your faith and/or religion whenever your faith clashes with s.o.p.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think that anyone who has been saved from death would be ungrateful (unless the person wanted to die).
I think that the difference is that the rescue of the infants are better handled by a heathen or atheist fireman than a Christian fireman. An atheist fireman would not be distracted by his faith (or lack of it) in order to save people in need. An atheist faith (or lack of it) would not conflict with a rescue procedure.
A Christian fireman, depending on his denomination, might even inquire first if those in need are Christian or not, because he might feel compelled to rescue Christians first or heathens last.
I mean if it already is such a dilemma for Christians whether babies or children of a certain age do or do not get into heaven I do not find it hard to believe that Christian firemen have a greater chance to be distracted by their faith instead of following (atheist) standard operating procedure.
I don't think that you can switch of your faith and/or religion whenever your faith clashes with s.o.p.

I don't think the metaphor is working

Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I don't think the metaphor is working
Why not?
Here in Holland abortion is completely legal and a standard procedure. Every Christian doctor no matter what his beliefs has to inform every patient objectively about it if she asks any information about abortion. It is medically unethical for a doctor to advice a patient against it, just because he believes abortion is wrong. A doctor should leave his religion at home when a patient is asking for medical advice. If the doctor stills wants to tell her that she shouldn't do an abortion he picked the wrong profession and should become a priest.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback Why not?
Here in Holland abortion is completely legal and a standard procedure. Every Christian doctor no matter what his beliefs has to inform every patient objectively about it if she asks any information about abortion. It is medically unethical for a doctor to advice a patient against it, just because he believes abortion is wrong. A doctor should leave his religion at home when a patient is asking for medical advice. If the doctor stills wants to tell her that she shouldn't do an abortion he picked the wrong profession and should become a priest.

I'm lost. I think I made the mistake of responding to a post before reading the whole thread. Sorry

Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,707 times
OK OK!!!! I agree that the kids aren't going to hell. My point of all of this is that the Bilble is pretty specific about how one is saved. Jesus himself says that no man shall pass to the father except through him. I've sat in a church service where this issue was discussed and was supprised to here someone could think that a child would be lost without asking Jesus into his/her life. While I believe that the Bible is the word of God preserved for us, I also believe there's alot we dont know, and wont know...until we do!

Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,866,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thedog View Post
OK OK!!!! I agree that the kids aren't going to hell. My point of all of this is that the Bilble is pretty specific about how one is saved. Jesus himself says that no man shall pass to the father except through him. I've sat in a church service where this issue was discussed and was supprised to here someone could think that a child would be lost without asking Jesus into his/her life. While I believe that the Bible is the word of God preserved for us, I also believe there's alot we dont know, and wont know...until we do!
I don't know if this helps and it may have already been said but, if you look at the story of David. He had a child conceived out of wedlock that passed away and I think God told him something like 'You will go to where he is' meaning the child was where David would spend eternity and David was known as a 'man after God's own heart', clearly a saved sinner.

Just saying.....

I think, if you're interested, the story can be found in 1st or 2nd Samuel.

I don't have access to a bible right now but when I get a chance I will edit this post with the scripture. If someone doesn't post it here first.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 PM

14,753 posts, read 17,075,052 times
Hi, I believe that God loves our children with a perfect love, much greater than the love that we have for them. And He sees beginning to end. If a child dies unexpectedly, God knew that this would happen in His omniscience. Why would he send them to an eternal hell knowing that they would never have the chance to respond to the good news of Jesus Christ? Why would He even allow them to be born into the world? God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality