Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,880,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
If they don't have any personal connection to the school, then they really have no business being there.
I bet a lot of schoold have pictures of famous people like Martin Luther King who have no personal connection to the school.

I'm an Atheist but a picture of Jesus or Muhammad would not offend me.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,651,992 times
Quote:
I did not read the article yet, does it mention if those in this 'freedom' group have children in attendance at the school.
If they don't have any personal connection to the school, then they really have no business being there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I bet a lot of schoold have pictures of famous people like Martin Luther King who have no personal connection to the school.

I'm an Atheist but a picture of Jesus or Muhammad would not offend me.
Sorry- Maybe I did not make myself clear enough. I was not speaking of 'they' as in the pictures. The 'they' I was referring to are the people of the freedom group, do they have a child attending this school? If no, then they need to leave it alone.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,651,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't display religious iconography in government buildings. It is unconstitutional.
So the Washington Monument needs to be destroyed?
It's a religious symbol.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,134,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So the Washington Monument needs to be destroyed?
It's a religious symbol.
In the closed-minded world of the new atheists....that would probably be seen as logical.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Establishing and acknowledging a religion are two separate thing.
Not when you acknowledge only one religion.

Quote:
Furthermore, cases such as the Hobby Lobby one show the other side of the coin were public money is being spent on things that go against Christian principles. If atheists can demand their money not be spent on anything remotely religious, why can't Christians refuse to pay taxes for things like the morning after pill?
I support Hobby Lobby's case, so I'm not inconsistent at all. So, why would you support Hobby Lobby, not wanting their money to go toward issues that aren't consistent with their beliefs, but want to take money from non-Christians to support your religion?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Not when you acknowledge only one religion.
Why? If the only religion in the area is Christianity, why do you care? It's still not an act of Congress to do it.
Quote:

I support Hobby Lobby's case, so I'm not inconsistent at all. So, why would you support Hobby Lobby, not wanting their money to go toward issues that aren't consistent with their beliefs, but want to take money from non-Christians to support your religion?
The religion isn't being supported by a picture being hung.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why? If the only religion in the area is Christianity, why do you care? It's still not an act of Congress to do it.

The religion isn't being supported by a picture being hung.
What the government wants Hobby Lobby to do has even LESS to do with religion, but is about birth control. Why are you being inconsistent?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
What the government wants Hobby Lobby to do has even LESS to do with religion, but is about birth control. Why are you being inconsistent?
I'm sorry...perhaps I misunderstood what you were referring to. I agree---the Hobby Lobby thing is more about government control and birth control/abortion. But they're stepping on their religious freedom.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry...perhaps I misunderstood what you were referring to. I agree---the Hobby Lobby thing is more about government control and birth control/abortion. But they're stepping on their religious freedom.
And... Jesus is a religious figure. This is government controlling what religious figures are promoted. As one shouldn't be required to pay for services that are contrary to one's religious beliefs, one shouldn't be required to pay toward the promotion of a figure contrary to one's beliefs. In both cases this is the government forcing individuals to fund items to which they are religiously opposed.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM

344 posts, read 395,210 times
Th portrait probably should be taken down. It is a government building and unless you want various other religious figures displayed in the school, the portrait probably should be removed. I think the only loophole might be if the actual portrait, and not the subject, has some sort of historic significance to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.