Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM

344 posts, read 396,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
I can speak from personal experience that Satan is very real. He constantly works in Christian's lives to destroy our faith and relationship with Christ.

Have you ever had a self-depreciating thought where you just cut yourself down in your thoughts? Many people have, and it makes no logical sense when you would become your own worst enemy. The reality is these thoughts come from Satan. He wants you to feel rejected, unwelcomed, ugly and worthless. This is why a lot of people commit suicide.
It sounds way too much like you are describing clinical depression. Hopefully no one with undiagnosed depression will read what you have written and buys into that crap about devils. I suffer from a mild anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders are sort of the twin brother of clinical depression. Of course neither anxiety disorders or clinical depression involves a devil or Satan. That is utterly preposterous. These illnesses are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. There are cognitive therapies and medications for these conditions. Exorcism will not work because there is no devil to exorcise. This is the 21st Century, not the 16th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
It sounds way too much like you are describing clinical depression. Hopefully no one with undiagnosed depression will read what you have written and buys into that crap about devils. I suffer from a mild anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders are sort of the twin brother of clinical depression. Of course neither anxiety disorders or clinical depression involves a devil or Satan. That is utterly preposterous. These illnesses are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. There are cognitive therapies and medications for these conditions. Exorcism will not work because there is no devil to exorcise. This is the 21st Century, not the 16th.

Depression is merely the product of the negative thoughts that the devil gives a person, and I'm confident that everyone has experienced this before. You missed a goal in a game and suddenly the thought happens, "gee, way to go, dummy". Why would my own mind seek to put myself down? There ya go. A self-depreciating thought in a person who is not suffering from mental illness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but at the end of the day, you have no proof to claim that Satan is not real.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMusing View Post
Besides the bible or any holy book, can you prove god or satan are real? Of course not because they are fictional beings and stories ment to influence people, written by men. Just like Gandalf and Suran aren't real.
Many people at one time believed in Ra or Hades or Loki, do I need to prove they too are fictional or are those gods as real to you as yahweh and lucifer?
I merely have to look at the thousands of changed lives through faith in Christ as my proof. It's not my problem if you refuse to acknowledge anything unless it is proven through scientific studies.

Here's one for ya:

Brian Head Welch (former KoRn Guitarist) giving testimony at Christ Temple Church - YouTube

Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMusing View Post
Many people at one time believed in Ra or Hades or Loki, do I need to prove they too are fictional or are those gods as real to you as yahweh and lucifer?
Precisely. There is no more reason to claim Satan or Yahweh are real and actually exist than there is to claim the same for these gods you mention, or Vishnu or Zeus or Odin. No more reason whatsoever.

In fact, I can't believe that in the 21st century we have people who are (ostensibly) adults discussing Satan and Yahweh and Noah's ark and Adam and Eve as if these were verified historical figures and events.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I tend to believe in a 'somewhat' symbolic explanation that Satan is the personification of evil - which is merely the lack of the life consciousness/life itself. I say 'somewhat' because we don't quite know just WHAT that is, and to what sense it even has autonomous conscious. Just because a force is a force doesn't mean it's dumbly unconscious. If God is an impersonal 'force', it doesn't mean he or it may still not experience some level of consciousness. I don't believe in some demi-god or arch-demon who goes around doing his mischief like a character in one of those old myths, but I believe Satan is the darkness in the Universe that works through our own 'dark side.' Perhaps when they talk about mental patients having 'demons' it's more literal than you think. Maybe mental illness and 'possession' is actually one and the same thing.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
TWD39 has touched on what for me seems to be the root cause for our spiritual beliefs..... be it a supernatural Satan, God, etc. And that is fear, which all humans experience in varying degrees. We fear many things in life besides the greatest fear of all which is the fear of death. And we cope with our fears in different ways. Some say that the problems and fears they perceive can be explained with logic and analysis while others say, "It is not something of my doing. Don't blame me. It is due to circumstances out there beyond my control that are driving me mad."

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Precisely. There is no more reason to claim Satan or Yahweh are real and actually exist than there is to claim the same for these gods you mention, or Vishnu or Zeus or Odin. No more reason whatsoever.

In fact, I can't believe that in the 21st century we have people who are (ostensibly) adults discussing Satan and Yahweh and Noah's ark and Adam and Eve as if these were verified historical figures and events.
LOL, as a matter of fact we had a president in the 21st century talking about the axis of evil. Amazing to me as well, hard to swallow. Makes you wonder doesn't it. Just when you think we've come a long way you realize, not so much.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM

344 posts, read 396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Depression is merely the product of the negative thoughts that the devil gives a person, and I'm confident that everyone has experienced this before. You missed a goal in a game and suddenly the thought happens, "gee, way to go, dummy". Why would my own mind seek to put myself down? There ya go. A self-depreciating thought in a person who is not suffering from mental illness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but at the end of the day, you have no proof to claim that Satan is not real.
I wonder why you would propose that a devil brings on clinical depression. It is so idiotic a notion that I wonder if it is done as a lark simply to get responses. I suppose in the end I have to accept the possibility that you actually believe what you have posted, that it is written in earnestness, and is simply an example of profound ignorance.

I have also thought that claiming the devil is involved in depression is in fact a potentially dangerous allegation in that it is in a sense an example of incorrect medical advice, albeit a bizarre example. I am certainly glad that when I was diagnosed with my anxiety disorder that I was not told it was the work of the devil. Anyway, I think that whatever danger your post constitutes as a misguided medical concept, it is outweighed in a positive way by how it demonstrates in textbook form the harm that can be done by unenlightened thinking in the form of religious beliefs.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I wonder why you would propose that a devil brings on clinical depression. It is so idiotic a notion that I wonder if it is done as a lark simply to get responses. I suppose in the end I have to accept the possibility that you actually believe what you have posted, that it is written in earnestness, and is simply an example of profound ignorance.

I have also thought that claiming the devil is involved in depression is in fact a potentially dangerous allegation in that it is in a sense an example of incorrect medical advice, albeit a bizarre example. I am certainly glad that when I was diagnosed with my anxiety disorder that I was not told it was the work of the devil. Anyway, I think that whatever danger your post constitutes as a misguided medical concept, it is outweighed in a positive way by how it demonstrates in textbook form the harm that can be done by unenlightened thinking in the form of religious beliefs.

Your comments only prove 1 Corinthians 2:14.

"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
satan's greatest accomplishment of this age is to get people to disbelieve in the devil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality