Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
So if you can't prove that Satan does not exist, stop presenting your claims as FACT! Here was the full comment:

"Can't we all go ahead and just state that fact that The Devil is a mythical, literary figure"

He is stating it is a fact. Plain and simple. It is a not a fact.
Can you state as fact that Santa Clause is mythical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Can you state as fact that Santa Clause is mythical?

Not without having supreme knowledge of the universe. I can't stay that there may not be another planet out there with a Santa Claus type figure. And on the same token, you can't claim as fact that there is no Satan which is what was done here.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Not without having supreme knowledge of the universe. I can't stay that there may not be another planet out there with a Santa Claus type figure. And on the same token, you can't claim as fact that there is no Satan which is what was done here.
I agree with you then. The evidence for Satan is no more present or valid then the evidence for Santa Claus. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, we CAN say that, examination of all the evidence and all we currently know suggests or even concludes that neither exists.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I agree with you then. The evidence for Satan is no more present or valid then the evidence for Santa Claus. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, we CAN say that, examination of all the evidence and all we currently know suggests or even concludes that neither exists.

No, the comparison doesn't work because there is no evidence that Santa Claus is real and you have counter-evidence showing the origins of many elements to the myth. OTOH, there is evidence demonstrating that Satan is real and influences our lives.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
No, the comparison doesn't work because there is no evidence that Santa Claus is real and you have counter-evidence showing the origins of many elements to the myth. OTOH, there is evidence demonstrating that Satan is real and influences our lives.
Oh, really? If you have evidence that satan is real, then why not present it....It would be a first!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, really? If you have evidence that satan is real, then why not present it....It would be a first!

Lol, only to have you reject it immediately? I won't bother.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Just observing our grandkids and their friends, more than moving away, they are moving away from organized religion..This does not mean they are not believers, it simply means they are not tied to one belief or one religion...

Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMusing View Post
People are more knowledgable and we're able to obtain facts and research at the drop of a dime.
A child growing up in a religious household before the Internet would grow up believing what their parents told them. Nowadays young people can research for themselves while on their smartphone sitting on a bus if they wanted. Knowledge is at the tip of our fingers!

People can now weigh the facts eaiser then ever before and can make up their own minds on religion without their family or church brainwashing and sheltering them.
Oh come on, do you really think we didn't research and think for ourselves 50 years ago? of course we did. Do you really thing everything on the net is taken seriously and believed by the younger generation? Do you think the facts prove anything? I was never brainwashed, nor was my husband and we didn't brain wash our kids, they do not brain wash theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on, do you really think we didn't research and think for ourselves 50 years ago? of course we did. Do you really thing everything on the net is taken seriously and believed by the younger generation? Do you think the facts prove anything? I was never brainwashed, nor was my husband and we didn't brain wash our kids, they do not brain wash theirs...
People are more knowledgeable because science has progressed so much in the past 50 years, and has disproved many of the reasons people looked toward a god for answers. Not knowing your personally, but knowing the demands and means of worship by Christians, I suspect that, if you were raised by Christian parents, not only were you and your husband unconsciously brainwashed, but you've done the same to your children, and so on.
Today's youth are becoming more aware of nature, have more access to different cultures and religions, and have more access to science. They will ultimately reject religion for reason.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Lol, only to have you reject it immediately? I won't bother.
So you really don't have evidence then...I was sure you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality