Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,078 times

Advertisements

Heaven is likely home to murderers, rapists and many a child molester.
According to almost all interpretations of christian ideology, if you are sincere in your repentance, you'll make it into heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
According to almost all interpretations of christian ideology, if you are sincere in your repentance, you'll make it into heaven.
That's correct. Good post.

Heaven is full of ex-sinners. The key to what you posted satanoid, is the 'sincere' portion.

Salvation has always been and will always be a condition of the heart and its relation to a Holy God.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 PM

174 posts, read 504,906 times
Quote:
This is true, and it is to the glory of God that it is so.

Polycarp had a young man as an acolyte. This young man fell into a bad group and sinned, even to the point of becoming a murderer. He eventually fell into a deep remorse for his sin and came back to his old teacher. He was led into repentance, being remorseful for his egregious sins against a Holy God and went on to greater things.

But, it is not always so. A man's heart can become hardened against the Lord to where he no longer is capable of feeling remorse or heeding the direction of the Holy Spirit.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM

So then, if a child is molested, or a woman is raped: it is possible they will meet their attacker in paradise? Seems like a terrible way to spend eternity.

I'm an atheist, but I still think their are some stains that won't wash out...people who are truly beyond recovery or redemption.

By chrisitan ideological rules, Osama Bin Laden could end up in heaven, and victims of the 9/11 attacks could have been sent to hell.

That just seems terribly backwards and wrong to me, and is part of the reason I reject christianity on doctrinal reasons.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
So then, if a child is molested, or a woman is raped: it is possible they will meet their attacker in paradise? Seems like a terrible way to spend eternity.

I'm an atheist, but I still think their are some stains that won't wash out...people who are truly beyond recovery or redemption.

By chrisitan ideological rules, Osama Bin Laden could end up in heaven, and victims of the 9/11 attacks could have been sent to hell.

That just seems terribly backwards and wrong to me, and is part of the reason I reject christianity on doctrinal reasons.
I can see how that would be an issue with you. I truly can.

But if those people you mention above were Christians, then they would forgive their attacker.

It is a difficult concept, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not the Judge.

But I will say, in all honestly, I understand your difficulty with this idea.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I can see how that would be an issue with you. I truly can.

But if those people you mention above were Christians, then they would forgive their attacker.

It is a difficult concept, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not the Judge.

But I will say, in all honestly, I understand your difficulty with this idea.
....and let us not forget that our mind is only in part that which it shall be on the other side.

Now, we struggle with the flesh and hurts from the wrongs which have been done us. There we will have all the wisdom which has escaped us in this life. We will have the mind of God. If the Lord can forgive them, can we not then?

We are continually admonished in the Scriptures to seek the renewal of our minds, so that our mind can be conformed to that of Jesus. Our attainment of that ultimate goal, however far or near, is only a shadow of what will be bestowed upon us when we no longer see dimly into His light. I'd hate to think that I've come as far as I am going to go.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:02 AM

... so then out of curiosity, if all satan had to do was repent... couldn't he just do so, and be slurped straight up into heaven from hell?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
... so then out of curiosity, if all satan had to do was repent... couldn't he just do so, and be slurped straight up into heaven from hell?
No, nor can his angels that fell with him. He sinned directly against God under the full revelation of His being and Holiness. His fall was permanent. Satan set himself in direct opposition to the Lord and tried his best to corrupt His creation into uselessness. He thought he had found the weakness of His creation and had perpetrated a corruption against it and God. He was mistakenly under the assumption that this would show a flaw in God Himself, if he could pull this off. He was incorrect. God found a way to turn his corruption around for His greater glory.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by satanoid
Quote:
True, but Satan wants to be God.
You could compare Satan with Prince Charles who is born to be the king of England. But Charley will never be king unless his mum the Queen dies or gives up the throne. At the rate the Queen is going Charles might never be king. But Charles has it easier than Satan, because he has the hope and / or knowledge that his mother will someday die.
Satan will only become God if he kills Him, but since God is all-knowing and all powerful and immortal Satan is doomed to hell unless he gives up his desire to be like his father.
Zeus like Satan coveted to rule Olympus but he had it easier than Satan, cause he just killed his father in order to rule Olympus (=creation).
The Christians solved this pattern of divine patricide by claiming that Jesus and God are one and the same. Therefore Christ, unlike Satan, has no desire to kill his father because he is his father.
I personally believe that this is the reason for the belief in the holy trinity.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 AM

The Lord poured out His Spirit out upon all flesh, not the eternally damned spirits in hell. Christ died for he sins of mankind, not that of an earlier creation which had already made its choice.

The mythology of Greece and Rome parallel each other closely due to their coming from a common source, that of the fallen angels and their offspring which man mistook for gods.

The belief in the Trinity is through divine revelation throughout the Biblical record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality