Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,207,649 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Scamp
Quote:
.....and yes, our existence is one of humble servitude to a supremely holy and benevolent God. If you feel this beneath you, you do so in ignorance of what that means. I don't feel you are as hardened as you like to pretend, otherwise I wouldn't waste my time on you.
So a slave's reason for existence is to serve his master?
In other words if I could create intelligent life it's sole reason is to serve me their creator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM

174 posts, read 504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So a slave's reason for existence is to serve his master?
In other words if I could create intelligent life it's sole reason is to serve me their creator?
Do you think you would have the wisdom? As best I know, you aren't omniscient, omnipotent or omnipresent. That would leave you being out of the know, unable to correct and things would quickly get away from you. It is not by His position of creator, it is by His position of magnificence. He, and He alone is worthy.

I realize your question was facetious, but it deserves an answer. Those who fight against their position in servitude, do so because of an incorrect perception of God. They look at Christians as Luddites who hold onto an antiquated crutch and fail to view the machinations of the world out of fear, and an inability to cope. Well, God is there for the weak as well as the wise. At one point or another, many that come to God do so at a low point in their lives. Adversity tends to diminish pride. It is from this point they begin to seek.

The Scriptures are replete with admonishments to quell the flesh. The reason is that we are to meet God with our spirit. Pride fills a man to where there is no more room for God. Indeed, there is little room for man, much less God in the body of a prideful man.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It is not by His position of creator, it is by His position of magnificence.
But what if my intelligent creations find me magnificant, omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.
Don't all children in their earliest childhood believe that their father is the strongest father in the world and their mother the most caring mother in the world in order to feel safe?
I guess these feelings depend on how safe they feel. If the children don't feel safe they won't idealize their parents as much as when they do feel safe.

Quote:
Pride fills a man to where there is no more room for God. Indeed, there is little room for man, much less God in the body of a prideful man.
Is God jealous of pride?

Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
But what if my intelligent creations find me magnificant, omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.
Don't all children in their earliest childhood believe that their father is the strongest father in the world and their mother the most caring mother in the world in order to feel safe?
I guess these feelings depend on how safe they feel. If the children don't feel safe they won't idealize their parents as much as when they do feel safe.
But you, in reality, possess none of those attributes.

If a child can perform a single act that it was forbade out of view of the parent and go unpunished, then he has proven the parent not omniscient, omnipotent or omnipresent.

Quote:
Is God jealous of pride?
Deuteronomy 5:9 ....for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God....

Let us be clear in our understanding of pride. There is a pride such as one gets from the satisfaction of building a birdhouse, then there is pride which hungers for applause and recognition to feed itself. The latter being a sin. Such vanity supplants any recognition of God. The Lord is jealous for what is rightfully His.

So that we are clear on the meaning of jealousy as used here, it is not that which originates from suspicion or fear, but of an intolerance of unfaithfulness.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
If a child can perform a single act that it was forbade out of view of the parent and go unpunished, then he has proven the parent not omniscient, omnipotent or omnipresent.
Exactly. How can you prove that God is not omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent if you keep dismissing everything but the bible?
Because you have faith that God is magnificent.
Why is God magnificent?
So you feel safe.

Quote:
The Lord is jealous for what is rightfully His.
No you believe that God is jealous, because you believe that God created everything.
If you believe that God created everything than He also must have created pride, right?
So how can God be jealous of pride?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Exactly. How can you prove that God is not omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent if you keep dismissing everything but the bible?
Because you have faith that God is magnificent.
Why is God magnificent?
So you feel safe.
What you are really asking me is why I believe without proof. I do not believe based on any decision of my own, although I did make a decision upon revelation to accept Him. I do not base my belief on proof, although I find much fulfilled prophecy. But, any answer I give you, you will find insufficient. You will never be given proof to satisfy intellectual curiosity. God is spirit and we can only understand and communicate with Him in spirit.

As it is written, "But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness"

Is my devotion due to my feeling safe? Well, you assume wrongly why I came to Christ.

Quote:
No you believe that God is jealous, because you believe that God created everything.
If you believe that God created everything than He also must have created pride, right?
So how can God be jealous of pride?
Then you may as well move ahead with the argument that He is the originator of Sin.

What He did was give us freewill. Love is worthless from a programmed robot. We choose to love Him once we are given revelation of Him by the work of the Holy Spirit. With free will there exists polar opposites. When the opposite potentials cease to exist, then free will ceases. Hate does not have to be in existence for love to exist, but the potential does.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
What you are really asking me is why I believe without proof.
I wasn't realy asking, it was more a conclusion.
I know that safety is an illusion.

Quote:
What He did was give us freewill. Love is worthless from a programmed robot.
True but as a programmed robot I would be happier because then I would never have any doubts.
I don't see why God had to tempt us with free will?
Now that I have had a taste of it I don't want anything else.

Maybe God is jealous when I do not choose to love him out of my own free will?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 PM

204 posts, read 1,011,085 times
Default There's your purpose-filled life

That is the purpose for life, is it not? To serve God (by voting Republican, giving all you have to the church, bombing countries in the Middle East that aren't Israel, pay lip service to the poor but don't actually help them, blame gays for causing the 60% divorce rate among heterosexuals...and have lots of babies that you can brainwash into thinking life's purpose is to continue this cycle ad nauseam.)

2 billion Christians can't be wrong. Just ask them...they'll tell you!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
2 billion Christians can't be wrong. Just ask them...they'll tell you!
There are lot of popular ideas that are not necessarily right.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:49 PM

264 posts, read 693,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
The Lord poured out His Spirit out upon all flesh, not the eternally damned spirits in hell. Christ died for he sins of mankind, not that of an earlier creation which had already made its choice.

The mythology of Greece and Rome parallel each other closely due to their coming from a common source, that of the fallen angels and their offspring which man mistook for gods.

The belief in the Trinity is through divine revelation throughout the Biblical record.
That's certainly a novel intepretation of Greco-Roman mythology. There isn't one one line of biblical text that identifies the Olympians with the "fallen angels and their offspring."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality