Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM

476 posts, read 466,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Many of us understand "Gospelspeak," Vizio. We know the terms, the concepts, the interpretations and what they mean. Do we believe they make sense in the overall scheme of things and grounded in reality? No. Do we know how it "makes sense" in the Christian realm of understanding? Yes.

I was a Christian for some 17 or so years, probably of the same mold as you (judging by the things I see you type around here). I can pretty much tell you how you will respond to a particular subject before you even type a word. I've been there, done that, have the t-shirt and the mental scars. As early as 1998-1999 (way back on Windows 95), I was on the internet defending Christianity with every ounce of Christian apologetics I knew and trust me, I knew them all. I read the bible cover to cover FOUR times. I SINCERELY dedicated my life to the Christian faith (the fundamentalist/literalist flavor) for years. There are MANY like me and there are a few who on this site. Not all of us mock out of ignorance. We KNOW what we are mocking (if that is what some are doing) and we know quite well what we have discarded.

Don't get me wrong at least. I know MANY fine people who are Christians, not necessarily Christians who are fine people. My mom is one of them and there are some here who I suspect are great people too. Christianity works for them. They can compartmentalize their brains to mix faith and reality. Others are not biblists in the sense you are and they still consider themselves just as much Christian as you are or I was. I guess it is whatever floats their boat, but conversely, many of us former Christians are good people too without having to believe in the Christian god and NO, we on't think of our good deeds as "filthy rags" either.

17 years as a Christian and you never once experience God's direction, or witness God moving in a church or someone's life? I find that hard to believe if you were truly a devout Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
If they can't understand the role and purpose of Mosaic law then they are ignorant. Plain and Simple.
Which version of it? The Jewish version or the Christian version where the Jesus character is bled into them (no pun intended)?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I'm not an atheist and I think your views on Christianity are extremely flawed. But keep pretending anyone that doesn't believe as you do must be an atheist.
Well if you truly have any foundation for your bold statement then point out exactly where my view is flawed, and back it up with scripture. Otherwise, it is just your ignorant opinion.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Which version of it? The Jewish version or the Christian version where the Jesus character is bled into them (no pun intended)?
If you are going to put the Bible on trial then we are talking about Christianity.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If you are going to put the Bible on trial then we are talking about Christianity.
Oh, I just had to ask because I know the Jews held their interpretations and then the Christians came along and painted Jesus into the sacrificial picture. Of course, the Christians look also upon the Jews as blind, lost souls who just could not get it.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, I just had to ask because I know the Jews held their interpretations and then the Christians came along and painted Jesus into the sacrificial picture. Of course, the Christians look also upon the Jews as blind, lost souls who just could not get it.
The amazing thing is the battle between Christ and Satan was mentioned all the way back in Genesis 3:15:

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The amazing thing is the battle between Christ and Satan was mentioned all the way back in Genesis 3:15:

"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."
Actually it doesn't. That interpretation is a forced application of Jesus into the narrative as is common with other places of the Old Testament amongst some Christians. Yes, I know about the argument that "seed" often refers to a man (sperm) and the fact that here it refers to the "seed" being of a woman must indicate some "miraculous" bringing about of the seed mentioned here. As a result, the Christian concludes that this MUST be referring to Jesus' Virgin birth. Actually, the language here is not as unique as some Christians believe or would have others to believe as evidenced by these passages concerning females:

Genesis 16:10 - And the angel of the Lord said to her [Hagar], “I will greatly
increase your seed [Íעֵרְזַ] and they will not be counted for abundance.”

Genesis 24:60 - And they blessed Rebecca and said to her, “May you come to
be thousands of myriads, and may your seed [Íעֵ רְזַ] inherit the gate of his
foes.”

Leviticus 22:13 - But if the priest’s daughter is a widow, or divorced, and has
no offspring [רעַזֶ] and has returned to her father’s house, as in her youth, she
shall eat of her father’s bread; but no stranger shall eat of it.

1Samuel 2:20-21 – (20) And Eli blessed Elkanah and his wife, and said: "The
Lord give you seed [רעַזֶ] of this woman for the loan which is lent to the Lord."
And they went to their own home. (21) So the Lord visited Hannah, so that she
conceived, and bore three sons and two daughters. And the child Samuel grew
before the Lord.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Almost daily I see Christians on this board mocked by atheists and agnostics. It is usually in regards to homosexuality, at which point it is stated that a Christian that doesn't live by every command of the OT is a hypocrite. Honestly? I haven't seen anything to believe that you guys understand the idea that there is an Old Covenant, and a New Covenant. We are not a part of the Old Covenant.
I guess this invalidates the Ten Commandments as well. Thank god.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
17 years as a Christian and you never once experience God's direction, or witness God moving in a church or someone's life? I find that hard to believe if you were truly a devout Christian.
If you mean inclination/gut feeling/intuition that I called "God," yes. If you mean I saw or heard something amazing that I attributed to something I called "God," yes. If you have doubts, I certainly can't help you believe otherwise.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
If they can't understand the role and purpose of Mosaic law then they are ignorant. Plain and Simple.
There is a difference between not following something wholeheartedly and being ignorant of it.

But from what I can tell from your posts, your thinking isn't nearly nuanced enough to grasp that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality