Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,949,004 times

Advertisements

I read this article a few days ago, and the more I think about it, the more I see it is true:
Matt J. Rossano: Sacred Brands: Consumerism as Modern Religion

People often say America and the West are becoming less religious. Well, I disagree. The thing is, a different religion is taking root: the religion of consumerism.

No longer is salvation gained from absolution from sin (Nicene Christianity) submission before God (Islam) achieving inner peace (Buddhism) or understanding one's self and the nature of reality (Gnosticism) Instead, salvation is gained by having the newest and best product, the newest and best clothes and being all together "fabulous". Consumerism doesn't save us from hell or ignorance or the pain of existence, it saves us from obscurity (so we stick out in a good way) and "lameness".

Ones upon a time people would sacrifice food and gold on an alter of the old gods (some still do) That changed into sacrificing certain worldly pleasures for spiritual development ( like fasting at Ramadan or Lent) and now it is sacrificing time (at work) for the capitol to buy more things we don't really need, but the prophet (advertisements) say we do need.

One of the worst things religions did in the past was practice human sacrifice. Christopher Hitchens said that it was awful that Abraham would have sacrificed his son Isaac if G-d hadn't stopped him. Well, I work in a fine dining restaurant and see men and women all the time who sacrifice their children. They sacrifice actually being parents and spending time with them for working long hours at "the office" and meeting "clients" instead of spending time with their kids. Why? So they can make more money and buy a new boat or new BMW or some other stuff they don't need. Kids growing up with parents who are there but aren't there, and all because the God of consumerism commanded them to be sacrificed before him.

And human sacrifice on a mass scale happens in the name of Consumerism too, in a way that would make the Aztecs, with their bloody sacrifices, wince. We don't need diamond rings, we all know this. And yet so many people, innocent children even, are killed in harvesting "blood diamonds" to be sold to faithful consumers in the West. Blood diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just as traditional religion usually has ideas that fly in the face of logic and reason, so does the new religion of consumerism. Just as we all know that Genesis couldn't have literally happened, science shows us that money beyond that needed for basic comfort will not make one happy:
"Take wealth, for instance, and all the delightful things that money can buy. Research by Diener, among others, has shown that once your basic needs are met, additional income does little to raise your sense of satisfaction with life."
Science of Happiness: New Research on Mood, Satisfaction - TIME

And yet, just as fundamentalists of traditional religion insist that Genesis is literally true, so too do the followers of the religion of consumerism insist that a new pair of Gucci sunglasses, an Ipad Mini or a Bentley will make them happy.

And then there is the phenomenon of the "mega churches" who market religion like a consumer product. It just hit me today why they do that: Just as the Christians of old co-opted pagan celebrations like Christmas and pagan practices like painting eggs and made them Christian, they are now trying to co-opt the religion of consumerism and Christianize it.

Will it work? I doubt it. They could never have the money Walt Disney, McDondald's and Apple have to market their religions.

That, and what good does it do to have another form of consumerism? Why not do the exact opposite and create something for people who see the false idol of consumerism for what it is?

And worst of all, with all the "blood diamonds" and "conflict minerals" and so many of those consumer goods made in sweat shops, plus the environmental damage that happens when one buys that new SUV or something similar, consumerism is the most destructive religion on Earth.

Think about it: a dumb thug steals from someone to buy a new pair of $200 sneakers he doesn't need. He just committed a crime in the name of his religion of consumerism, just as a Muslim blowing himself up for Allah or a Christian shooting an abortion clinic. Think of all the pimps pimping women for money they don't need or all the drug dealers selling dope to buy a better car. All crimes committed in a Crusade for The Almighty (dollar)

One can always practice religion at home, in the quiet alone. I like to be alone at night and light a candle and pray without saying anything ("prayer is to mindfully abide in the presence of God"-Thomas Merton) My religious practice doesn't hurt anyone. How can one practice consumerism in a way that is not harmful to the environment, the workers of the world or their family?

Ultimately it is your choice. Do you take this:

Music and Life - Alan Watts - YouTube

Or this...

Kay Jewelers - Storm Commercial - "Every Kiss Begins with... STAB!" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,288,547 times
The more you own the more you groan, The more you crave the more you become a slave. Live simply so others can simply live.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,884,328 times
Consumerism has run rampant... but I am not sure it holds up to the definition of a "religion."

Consumerism is motivated mostly on greed. Greed of things and status. It has little to nothing to do with offering an explanation to things unexplained (meaning of life, purpose, existence, creation, etc etc).

Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Consumerism has run rampant... but I am not sure it holds up to the definition of a "religion."

Consumerism is motivated mostly on greed. Greed of things and status. It has little to nothing to do with offering an explanation to things unexplained (meaning of life, purpose, existence, creation, etc etc).

Consumerism offers a meaning of life: to be wealthy and fabulous. That is the message the prophets of consumerism (the media, advertisements etc) bombard us with constantly.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,023,239 times
Consumerism is a panacea for an otherwise meaningless life. When a person can accumulate more toys, then a person can have more "things" ... objects...trinkets..jewelry....cars...electronics. ..to boost one's sense of value. Many people I work with drive Lexus or BMWs because they believe those cars to be more impressive and symbolic of their financial success. Sadly, those very people have their identity and self value defined for them by others. They are overly concerned with how others see them.
I think consumerism gives people who have lower self esteem a vehicle by which they can focus their identity outward into something tangible and material. While this does not work for me, and while I could not care less, The majority of Americans who espouse the religion of consumerism (more like a cult of consumerism) certainly would be more miserable and unhappy than they would be without their new toys.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,408,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
People often say America and the West are becoming less religious. Well, I disagree. The thing is, a different religion is taking root: the religion of consumerism.
Good point, though it's not just the religion of consumerism, there are actually a whole bunch of other "modern religions" taking hold along with it.... like Scientism, Ufology, Celebrity worship, and my own fav, Politics as Religion!

Politics as religion in America, and how Conservatism has been converted into a religious belief

Old 01-26-2013, 10:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,884,328 times
Quote:
Consumerism offers a meaning of life: to be wealthy and fabulous. That is the message the prophets of consumerism (the media, advertisements etc) bombard us with constantly.
Does that really make it a new religion, or just the negative side of life which the existing religions tend to show is not the path people should pursue.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,231,126 times
Quote:
I read this article a few days ago, and the more I think about it, the more I see it is true:

No longer is salvation gained from absolution from sin (Nicene Christianity) submission before God (Islam) achieving inner peace (Buddhism) or understanding one's self and the nature of reality (Gnosticism) Instead, salvation is gained by having the newest and best product, the newest and best clothes and being all together "fabulous". Consumerism doesn't save us from hell or ignorance or the pain of existence, it saves us from obscurity (so we stick out in a good way) and "lameness".

Ones upon a time people would sacrifice food and gold on an alter of the old gods (some still do) That changed into sacrificing certain worldly pleasures for spiritual development ( like fasting at Ramadan or Lent) and now it is sacrificing time (at work) for the capitol to buy more things we don't really need, but the prophet (advertisements) say we do need.

One of the worst things religions did in the past was practice human sacrifice. Christopher Hitchens said that it was awful that Abraham would have sacrificed his son Isaac if G-d hadn't stopped him. Well, I work in a fine dining restaurant and see men and women all the time who sacrifice their children. They sacrifice actually being parents and spending time with them for working long hours at "the office" and meeting "clients" instead of spending time with their kids. Why? So they can make more money and buy a new boat or new BMW or some other stuff they don't need. Kids growing up with parents who are there but aren't there, and all because the God of consumerism commanded them to be sacrificed before him.

And human sacrifice on a mass scale happens in the name of Consumerism too, in a way that would make the Aztecs, with their bloody sacrifices, wince. We don't need diamond rings, we all know this. And yet so many people, innocent children even, are killed in harvesting "blood diamonds" to be sold to faithful consumers in the West. Blood diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just as traditional religion usually has ideas that fly in the face of logic and reason, so does the new religion of consumerism. Just as we all know that Genesis couldn't have literally happened, science shows us that money beyond that needed for basic comfort will not make one happy:
"Take wealth, for instance, and all the delightful things that money can buy. Research by Diener, among others, has shown that once your basic needs are met, additional income does little to raise your sense of satisfaction with life."

And yet, just as fundamentalists of traditional religion insist that Genesis is literally true, so too do the followers of the religion of consumerism insist that a new pair of Gucci sunglasses, an Ipad Mini or a Bentley will make them happy.

And then there is the phenomenon of the "mega churches" who market religion like a consumer product. It just hit me today why they do that: Just as the Christians of old co-opted pagan celebrations like Christmas and pagan practices like painting eggs and made them Christian, they are now trying to co-opt the religion of consumerism and Christianize it.

Will it work? I doubt it. They could never have the money Walt Disney, McDondald's and Apple have to market their religions.

That, and what good does it do to have another form of consumerism? Why not do the exact opposite and create something for people who see the false idol of consumerism for what it is?

And worst of all, with all the "blood diamonds" and "conflict minerals" and so many of those consumer goods made in sweat shops, plus the environmental damage that happens when one buys that new SUV or something similar, consumerism is the most destructive religion on Earth.

Think about it: a dumb thug steals from someone to buy a new pair of $200 sneakers he doesn't need. He just committed a crime in the name of his religion of consumerism, just as a Muslim blowing himself up for Allah or a Christian shooting an abortion clinic. Think of all the pimps pimping women for money they don't need or all the drug dealers selling dope to buy a better car. All crimes committed in a Crusade for The Almighty (dollar)

One can always practice religion at home, in the quiet alone. I like to be alone at night and light a candle and pray without saying anything ("prayer is to mindfully abide in the presence of God"-Thomas Merton) My religious practice doesn't hurt anyone. How can one practice consumerism in a way that is not harmful to the environment, the workers of the world or their family?

Or this...

GOOD POST

BUT>>THEY STILL SACRIFICE ONTO THE ALTAR INNOCENT CHILDREN...THEY JUST PAINT EM AS BAD..AND GO SLAUGHTER THEM...SOME IN AGREEMENT OF THE WHOLE IN SUPPORT>>SOMETIMES IN SECRET>>>Killing people....does not matter who...or how...or why...as long as blood flows...

In which Direction that Death is made to go...in one direction it is for the greator Good?...or The Greator Bad....it is dependant on certain cryteria....True?...If the one who made us said He gives freely all we need...then something has setup shop doing the opposite of that Principle....True?...We now pay for life....Difference being?...IT IS NOT FREE!..and this causes poverty and destitution..and destitute people will do despret things to get what they cannot for LIFE......And if that Maker of US..GOD...SUPPOSE TO BE GOD OF THE GOOD AND LIFE AND HEALTH AND HAPPINESS...Said Not to use an engraven IDOL...TOLD NOT TO MAKE MORE IMPORTANT THAN HE...FOR HE IS A JELIOUS GOD>...THEN DO WE SPARK ANGER WHEN WE DO... IN THAT GOD FACE THAT VERY THING?....Surely!...SO what was Knocked DOWN as a MONUMENT OF DEATH OF LIFE THAT PASSES THROUGH IT>>HOLDING ALL SORTS OF CORRUPTION>>FOUND THERE AFTER ...(in likeness to Jesus KICKING AT IT) and (GOD BURNING IT) (USING THINGS THAT POLLUTE HIS CREATION TO SPARK IT ON FIRE) ...in SYMBOLIC FORM...to wake us UP?...NO TO SLAUGHTER MORE< TO REBUILD THAT WHICH SHOULD NOT BE>...AND THEY TOLD US TO CONTINUE DOING THE SAME THINGS!...SIN!.

SIN IS THE DISOBEDIANCE OF GOD...Now..GOD KNOWS WE NEED FOOD< WATER< AND SUCH....BUT TO POLLUTE IT>>>IS IN VIOLATION OF LIFE!...AGAIN BLINDED BY THE ADVERT TO BUY AND SELL> WITH NO MIND OF WHAT IT CREATES ON ALL SIDES>AND SOMEONE TELLING YOU IN DIFFERENT FORMATS THAT>>OUR STUDIES SHOW IT IS OK TO DO CONTINUALLY>>>AND I SEE THE SUFFERING>>MORE HOSPITALS AND INSTUTIONS>>MORE REASON SAYING SOMETHING AIN"T RIGHT IF THEY PUT PEOPLE INTO PRISON>>YET SAY FREEDOM AND LIBERTY FOR ALL..AND FREE TRADE?>>>IF THEY OPPRESS OTHERS FROM DOING JUST THAT.....IT IS JUST ANOTHER LIE or LIES...RIGHT?....SO SOME CAN LIVE WITH LIES>>>AND THEY DO!
SOME WILL KILL FOR LIES...AND THEY HAVE!....SO WHAT SITS ON LIES?...ERROR!...AND IF WE ERROR GOD...?>>>HIS ANGER COMES TO BARE WITNESS ON ALL WHO DO THE OPPOSING!..AND THOSE IN SUPPORT!.

SO JESUS CAME TO HELP US SEE....AND HE KICKED AT IT THEN...AND HE RECENTLY DID IT AGAIN!....AND WHAT DID THEY DO?...WAR!= "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICES"= THE CHILDREN SENT INTO IT>>AND SLAUGHTERED ON THE OTHER SIDE OF IT< AND OUR SIDE>...Cause that is what they do.

SO YOU CAN BE IN SIN...WITH LIES AND LIARS ON YOUR HEAD..AND ENSLAVED IN A UNFREE UNSAFE AND UNSOUND ESTATE OF BEING....

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:

Or this...

Oh yes, yes...is is most definitely a "Religion"...within the broad definition of "religion".

With the greedy person assigning themselves as "God" in their own life. They consume as a way to "give gifts" to their "God" (themselves)...and must continue, so as not to displease their "God".

You can add the indulgence in constant and varied sexual pleasure to satisfy "God" with physical "gifts"...to go along with satisfying the materialistic headtrips "God" has that requires constant consuming to satisfy that required "offering".

Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Does that really make it a new religion, or just the negative side of life which the existing religions tend to show is not the path people should pursue.
No, it is a religion. It has its own Mythology, (the "rags to riches tales" and "money for nothing" stories) its own heroes (big dollar celebrities) its own holidays (Christmas,Black Friday) its own temples (malls) its own holy places (Beverly Hills, Fifth Avenue) its own clergy (ads men)

That negative side of life has become the focus of life. Joseph Campbell once said you could tell what matters to a society based on what the biggest building in town is. In classical societies it was temples and cathedrals, representing religion, in the USSR it was the Kremlin, representing the state...in America, today, it is the financial centers that have the largest buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality