Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
I have written many posts about religion but after watching this I rest my case:

Crazy Christian Mom Steals Christmas From Son - YouTube

I usually write more in my posts but after watching this the only thing I have to say is that "I rest my case on religion". I feel so sad about this kid for having such a horrible mother......The dad just sits there and is doing nothing. The young son probably made a rational and reasonable decision in which he didn't believe the fairy tales which the parents should of course respect. I'm a non-believer but if my kids want to be religious then it is their choice....This is just terrible....I rest my case...

You know the unfortunate thing about this is that this young man's mother is pushing him further away from her and as he gets older he will resent her for this. He looks like a teenager who is rebelling against everything that she believes in and as we all know teenagers have a tendency to do that, but I commend him for thinking on his own and you would think his parents would encourage that rather than belittle him. It's a tragedy that the parents will regret in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
It turns out that atheist parents don't attempt to raise their children in an "atheist tradition" the way religious parents do with religious traditions. Rice University sociologist Elaine Ecklund surveyed over 2,000 scientists and found that half expressed "no religious identity." She pulled 275 of these atheists, and found that at least 17% had brought their children to a religious service in the past year.
Yes. I've never tried to indoctrrinate my children into or out of any religious tradition. When they were younger they would ask me if there was a god and I always said "I don't know. Nobody truly knows."

They have asked to go to different churches (and synagogue and a Buddhist temple as well) and my wife and I endorse that. We let them go to church functions with friends and we have attended services in different churches and places of worship of other religions. They are still somewhat fascinated by it all (they are 13 and 14.)

Whenever they have asked me about the religions of other cultures I tell them that around the world and throughout history different peoples have had different views of god or gods and different ideas about how to approach god(s) or connect with or experience god(s) and that there is really no cause for anyone to claim there is one 'right" way and all other religions are false. I have a background in comparative religion so at least I can usually tell them the basic core beliefs and customs of the different religions they ask about.

I want them to be completely open to find and choose their own paths, be tolerant of and interested in the customs of others, and realize that there is a good deal of diversity in the world and that they have all kinds of opportunities and choices and possibilities in front of them.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I think this mother would be just as verbally sickening, and threatening about anything she doesn't agree with, and like another poster said, she should not be seen as representative of all christians.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,552 times
I find people like this lady very insecure about their life and what they believe. I feel that she is lashing out like that at her son, because she herself is not sure what she believes and finds it uncomforting that her son would not believe in the same thing as her.

A real Christian would follow the religion for their own sake and not be so disturbed by another persons choice.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think this mother would be just as verbally sickening, and threatening about anything she doesn't agree with, and like another poster said, she should not be seen as representative of all christians.
I agree she probly would be but the problem with religion is that it's such an easy tool for judging people.
no she's not representative of all Christians but she is for a lot of them.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
A real Christian would follow the religion for their own sake and not be so disturbed by another persons choice.
^ Exactly. If I ever become a father (not in the near future, I'm too young ), honestly I'd let my children believe what they believe as long as it isn't outright offensive. I personally think that God will find ways to reach back to them. If they reject it, hey - it's their choice.

People like this woman disgust me with their amoral actions.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, John, you say, "I rest my case" but you and I both know that you don't. You'll be on your anti-religion soapbox until the day you die. The problem is that you focus only on the worst examples of what religion can do, and that's if it's misused. I don't think you could find one positive thing to say about religion, and that's unfortunate, because there truly are good things about it.
The trouble is that all sorts or religions,cults, political movements and even outside the law groups can cherry -pick the good stuff and make a case for how misunderstood they are.

That said, of course, you have a point. Most Christians are not like that and this is picked out as a pretty extreme example of what religious faith can do to people. At least it could serve to believers as a warning that in religious convictions, less is more. And to others, it may make them thankful for being atheist and lessening the risks of such behaviour or make them wonder if it would be a good idea if they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality