Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry. I don't believe that.
It's your choice to ignore the evidence.

But if you have to ignore evidence to maintain your prejudice, what does that say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I don't know what scientific material you have been reading, but the one's I read state it is a defect; it is NOT normal to be born gay. If ANY scientist claims that, I question their credentials.
Oh please, please give us a list of the 'scientific material' you have read.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
All people already have the same exact rights. To create a form of marriage explicitly for gay people would be to create a new right based on a sexual preference or choice. That is discrimination against the rest of us that don't like to be with people of the same gender.
It's called same-sex marriage, not 'gay' marriage. So you too could marry someone of the same gender.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
How do you know this? What makes your opinion any more valid than anyone else's?
Not all opinions are valid or equal. Those based on evidence are more valid than those based on ignorance and prejudice.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I know from 28 years in the industry that people are REEEEEEEALLY into their sexual fetishes...whatever those fetishes may be.
It gets to the point where they almost can't get aroused enough to perform without the mental stimulation of the fetish.

From a physical standpoint..."sex" is all just friction centered on a couple square inches of the body: Blindfold people and it's pretty much all the same thing physically.
The rest...which is the major "human" part of it...is the "headtrips" people have about what "trips their trigger" to "get them turned on".
Once you get outside of "mainstream" sex...it's all "fetish".
"Homosex" is just another fetish.

Saying that newborn babies have some innate "built in" idea of what will turn them on sexually later in life is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
The religious dogma that rallies against it...that proclaims some theologically based "objective morality" that deems it to be "sin", is just as ridiculous...but so prevalent, that it gets many to deny their fetish for homosex so as to avoid the criticism.

That dude from the link just needs to go with what turns him on...and as long as it all between consenting adults...unload the guilt-trip that is keeping him from enjoying his life to the fullest extent. Have a blast Dude!
Sexual orientation is not "sexual fetishes", not is it just about sex. Sounds like you've been too long in the sex industry.

Sexual hormones and the brain: an essential alliance for sexual identity and sexual orientation (2010)
Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35. Epub 2009 Nov 24. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF.
The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb.

There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I can choose whom I have sex with. I was born with a skin color.

I don't care. We are not animals, are we? Do we lack the ability to control whom we have sex with? Are you suggesting they are animals?

Isn't that kind of a bigoted, insulting statement? Can't believe you'd say that.
Are you being purposefully dense or do you truly not know what sexual orientation is?
Sexual orientation is a term used to refer to a person's emotional, romantic, and sexual attraction to individuals of a particular gender (male or female).
Sexual orientation involves a person's feelings and sense of identity; it may or may not be evident in the person's appearance or behavior.
Sexual Orientation

Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Anything beyond basic mammalian procreative sexual instinct...it's all just a matter of what we think "turns us on" and "trips our trigger".
Some people are incredibly turned on by things that others not only don't find to be a turn-on...but are grossed-out and repulsed by it.
But regardless of others revulsion...those people really are mentally stimulated in such a way that it manifests as being sexually aroused. Of course that is all just "in their head".

Now...because of the prejudice, bias, and resulting persecution some fetishes (such as same-gender sex) get based on some arbitrary religious dogma that claims those fetishes to be "sin"...that has stimulated a "movement" so-to-speak, to try to say that people are "born that way", and have an innate proclivity for certain fetishes.
Of course, they claim other fetishes are chosen...especially those that are not so heavily judged with a prejudicial view. This is demonstrative of the error of their claims.
If there was no prejudice and bias against those who are turned on by homosex and/or into homoaffection & homolove...no one would have ever said, or tried to purport that, people are "born that way".

MOF, it was listed in the DSM (erroneously...but then, that's "science" for ya) to be a "mental disorder" up until not very long ago.
Well, only half erroneous...it IS mental...but it's NOT a "disorder".
No fetish that is done between consenting adults...that doesn't cause any permanent physical harm...is anything more than just the sexual activity choices those people make. And if anyone has a problem with it...that's their headtrip issue.
You are confusing sexual 'preferences' and fetishes with sexual orientation.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
There is no conclusive proof that people are born gay. If so, then prove it. A large number of gay people have some history of sexual abuse in their past. Studies have shown that the lifestyle is damaging, both physically and mentally.

In particular, this quote is pretty shocking:

“A strong case can be made that the male homosexual lifestyle itself, in its most extreme form, is mentally disturbed,” Dr. Whitehead asserts.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | Poor mental health among homosexuals caused by “lifestyle itself” or “discrimination”?

Now (unlike certain atheists who think mockery is a great thing) I don't think it's right to insult anyone personally, but I'm certainly not a bigot for being against the act of homosexuality.
Oh please. Paul Cameron? Are you serious?

Are you not aware that Paul Cameron is a long time anti-gay crusader who has long been deregistered as a psychologist for his repeated misrepresentation of research, ethics violations, and vilification of homosexuals?

Paul Cameron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the religious based whacky fringe group NARTH as well? Good grief.

That's the equivalent of posting quotes by Hitler or Goebbels about Jews and saying those views are facts.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
A large number of gay people have some history of sexual abuse in their past.
False.

There is no reliable evidence to support your opinion and quite a lot of evidence to disprove it.

Eg: From the 2009 Wilson and Widom longitudinal study of over 900 people who were sexually abused as children:
"We also found no connections between childhood physical abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect and romantic cohabitation with a same-sex partner.

These results were consistent for men and women and support the conclusions of Bell et al. (1981) that early parenting experiences, positive or negative, play little direct role in the development of sexual orientation"
(Wilson & Widom, 2009)

American Academy of Pediatricians
"there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation."
Quote:
Now (unlike certain atheists who think mockery is a great thing) I don't think it's right to insult anyone personally, but I'm certainly not a bigot for being against the act of homosexuality.
You claim not to be a bigot yet you posts links to bigoted anti-gay propaganda based on deliberate misrepresentation by conservative religious anti-gay crusaders with a long history of spreading misinformation to vilify gay people.

You claim not to be a bigot, yet you choose get your 'information' from anti-gay propaganda sources rather than reputable health/science sources.

That's like someone claiming they are are not a bigot or anti-semitic then posting Hitler's views on Jews as if they were facts. Or a racist posting links from a KKK website about blacks.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I see you are grasping at straws again desperate to build an argument based on a single terminology. Did you even read the article? The studies were done in the most gay friendly countries in the world. Of course, you resort to the atheist fallacy of "if you can't prove it otherwise then the opposite is automatically true". Nothing you present here proves that people are born gay. You merely brag about your sexual offers which doesn't impress me in the least.
And those studies have been completeley misrepresented by the anti-gay religious conservatives quoted in that article. Which shows you have never read the actual studies or bothered to check if what those anti-gay crusaders were saying was true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality