Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sorry. I probably did not read it with the proper attitude.

People tend not to be bothered by another's religion unless that religion imposes itself on the outside population and attempts to make changes, based on their religious beliefs, on other people's lives.

You can see this in the anti-abortion movement, stem cell research, Zionism. These are all issues heavily influenced by religion. In such cases I believe it is a duty to comment and not allow others to hide behind a cloak of protection because they are religious.

When I make comments about Christians, I cannot mean all Christians, because I don't know all of them, but a creed or belief that a segment of them take as truth.

Also, both Christians and Moslems are supposed to be converting others. This is built into the framework of these religions in the minds of many adherents. Don't you think that people in the outside world should have the right to object?
I do. Look, I'm all for spreading the Word, but when it becomes imposive and forceful, then it will not do any good, and actually disrespectful of other people's space. Christ did not force himself and his thinking on anyone, people came to see Him voluntarily. Christians are required to spread the Gospels and the Word, and as far as I know no other religion is so specific about that requirement. Unfortunately people tend to overdo it.
On the other note - back to my thread, here is another misconception that all Christians are imposing with their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Yes. I make the mistake of thinking that whatever is in the bible is literally what all Christians follow.
I suppose that is another myth.
Moderated here and there, it can be a great religion.
I think my mind was corrupted too early by fundamentalism.
I knew a pastor who was a fundie and very sincere.
He was also a professor.
He started looking at the historical origins of his religion
and reached the conclusion that he had been duped into lying to
his congregation all those years.
He quit and became an ardent atheist.
It is really the pain talking, but I don't
believe he will ever get over it.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM

15 posts, read 36,421 times
I know that I should keep this to one myth, but I hope that I can be forgiven for giving a few.

As a Catholic I see the following myths about Catholicism most often:

1) That we worship Mary, Saints, Angels, pictures, statues etc., etc. The truth is that Catholics only worship God.

2) That Catholicism is rooted in paganism. A lot of this is due to the poor scholarship of Hislop.

3) That we are not Christians.

There are lots more, but I'll keep it to three.

Eric

Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEric View Post
I know that I should keep this to one myth, but I hope that I can be forgiven for giving a few.

1) That we worship Mary, Saints, Angels, pictures, statues etc., etc. The truth is that Catholics only worship God.

2) That Catholicism is rooted in paganism. A lot of this is due to the poor scholarship of Hislop.

3) That we are not Christians.

There are lots more, but I'll keep it to three.

Eric
You are not limited to just one myth! Actually I heard all of the above before. I'm sure some people might want you to elaborate, since I know more then one person who thinks what you say is myth (not me though)

Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. I make the mistake of thinking that whatever is in the bible is literally what all Christians follow.
I suppose that is another myth.
Moderated here and there, it can be a great religion.
I think my mind was corrupted too early by fundamentalism.
I knew a pastor who was a fundie and very sincere.
He was also a professor.
He started looking at the historical origins of his religion
and reached the conclusion that he had been duped into lying to
his congregation all those years.
He quit and became an ardent atheist.
It is really the pain talking, but I don't
believe he will ever get over it.
On the other side of a token, I know of drug addicts, alcoholics and etc...who after turning to Christ, were able to get rid of their addictions and even become Pastors. There are always two sides to the story. Some people turn away from God because something in their brain "doesn't add up" when it comes to history and their faith, and some people come to it because that what makes sense to them. By the way, I can argue with you on your point Christ and how He is in fact is a direct descendant of Abraham and David, but it deserves a separate thread.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEric View Post

Eric

Hindus have the same problem. Most of them see all of the smaller deities as different aspects of the one god, and they often have to keep explaining this aspect of their religion to people when they meet them.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
I believe the following to be myths;

Moses parting the Red Sea.

The children of Israel lost in the desert for 40 years. Have you seen that desert? If you wandered in it for a month you'd be walking in circles and you'd catch up on the stragglers.

Mary never died but was taken to heaven.

There's just three to be going on with.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
I believe the following to be myths;

Moses parting the Red Sea.

The children of Israel lost in the desert for 40 years. Have you seen that desert? If you wandered in it for a month you'd be walking in circles and you'd catch up on the stragglers.

Mary never died but was taken to heaven.

There's just three to be going on with.
Chidren of Israel were not lost for 40 years. Where did you get that idea? Israelites were "wondering" around the desert for 40 years, because God would not allow them to enter the Promised Land.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Guys, please note what I would like to add to my original post if I was allowed to edit:

Please only talk about your own faith or religion, because you might find a lot of "myths" about religions/faith that's not yours. Duh, that's why it's not your religion!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Guys, please note what I would like to add to my original post if I was allowed to edit:

Please only talk about your own faith or religion, because you might find a lot of "myths" about religions/faith that's not yours. Duh, that's why it's not your religion!
Many of us were many religions and are now a combination of all of them.
Do you mean to say that if you do not attend a particular house of worship regularly, you should not consider yourself a member of that religion?

I think we are all all of the religions that we have seriously studied - searchers.

Do I have to believe all of the tenants of my chosen religion to be a member of it, or just attend services?

How do you define what a 'member' is, as pertains to the individual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality