Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
2006 government study by Johns Hopkins on Spiritual experiences under psilocybin.
Is this the publication you wrote as a result of having participated in the John Hopkins study?

http://ecimages.kobobooks.com/Image....WbBg&Type=Full

Last edited by june 7th; 03-05-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Was retrieved by my good wife today via her willing completion .....
Glad she took you back, Mr. Rifleman. It's good to see you feeling well enough to make a posting here. Although June is offering you some insightful advice, I would recommend that you use that fine mind that you've got and take your medical advice from someone who actually graduated from some accredited institution, preferably with a medical degree or two.

On the other hand, Steve Jobs did seem to turn out OK. LSD? Hmmm.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
I've often wondered about those inversion tables that GldnRule mentioned. A while back they were advertised on tv all the time. It gives you that reverse stretch to counteract the effects of gravity.

This is a good video.

Teeter Inversion Table - YouTube

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Teeters Inversion Therapy

Bought one. Own one. It works, esp. with about 5 - 7 minutes at about 20˚ down angle, It then provides about 20 min of real pain relief if you then go lay down. A worthwhile investment!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Bought one. Own one. It works, esp. with about 5 - 7 minutes at about 20˚ down angle, It then provides about 20 min of real pain relief if you then go lay down. A worthwhile investment!
Well...so much for a "new" idea to try to give you some relief.
OTOH...that's a good testimony for that gadget! If it can make your back feel better...imagine what it would do for just ordinary run-of-the-mill issues.

Anyway...so glad you made the trip there and back okay...and they gave you what I hope is effective treatment.
Being in heavy pain all the time ruins your quality of life experience. You have my sympathy Man!
Lay low, take it easy...and rest up. And don't forget the whiskey...great all-natural analgesic.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Yup. Just don't go into the full inversion (as in: upside down!) position, in the opinion of my doc. Esp[. if you are >> 50 yrs old with age-related arterial stiffening. Imagine the results of a pressure point breakdown within your head? The blood surging out of your ear- and eye-holes would be quite upsetting, one would imagine, for the little woman upon her return home!

[It also speaks to not setting this one up over expensive but hard to clean white carpet! ]

But a slight inversion, just to unload those scrunched vertebrae, seems to be quite beneficial, if carried out for only about, let's say.... 5 - 7 minutes. Max of 10 minutes, I'd say. If you are 20 yrs old, 1) you probably on't need this, or 2) your doc has proclaimed you to be in outstanding condition, nd you simply want to stay that way, then go for it. At first the pressure feeling is a bit odd, and I only did it for less than 30 - 40 sec., but over time, I was able to increase it. As well, I have normal BP when I go on this device. If my BP was, let's say, more than 145/95 I'd be v. hesitant.

Say, mod; has this thread been detailed by me, the OP? Ooops. Well, heck: I'm going to check on the story of the persecuted man in Iran.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Was retrieved by my good wife today via her willing completion of a 250 mi trip. As well, I had a heart to heart with my docs about the realities of one's physical limitations including the results of aging and the lack of a fully effective evolutionary process.
Rifleman, I hope you looked attentive. After my fourth spine surgery, the second and fourth being revisions of the first and third, the surgeon sat down the next day, and said words to the effect of: I know you have heard this before, but I would like to believe you might actually listen this time....

Quote:
Consequently we humans place entirely too much loading on each vertebral facet for them to take it beyond about 50 years of wear and tear. Especially if we end up a tad bit overweight.... They disintegrate in many cases such as mine, and thereby generate nerve damage and pain.
Now, after the ninth operation at age seventy-four, my very own personal Intelligent Designer has installed 64 cm of titanium rods and thirty-six screws in addition to the plate and four screws already in the cervical spine, and carved out a custom-made lumbar lordosis to replace the one obliterated in 1978.

I walk without crutches again, I walk upright and I have no pain. This is Intelligent Design I can believe in.

Have a good recovery, Rifleman. It's a great life, if we don't weaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality