Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times

Advertisements

So let me understand this: You think it's okay to go ahead and suppress the rights of homosexuals just so you can protect your OWN right to express your opposition to it? Where is the balance?

And FWIW, I am gay and I am a Christian. I also happen to think it's wrong to suppress the rights of Christians to express their opposition to homosexuality. So your whole "We never hear about gays speaking out against the official censorship of religious opposition to homosexuality" argument just flew out the window. But at the same time, I think it's wrong for Christians to say that gay marriage is somehow worse than straight marriage. I think it's wrong for Christians to try to suppress the rights of gays to determine who should inherit their property, or who should take care of their kids, or who should be allowed to visit them in the hospital, if something happens to them. Do I really have to tell you that divorce among heterosexuals is just as damaging and "bad" as you say gay marriage is? Christians have a high divorce rate in this country, so don't forget the whole "people who live in glass houses" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 AM

264 posts, read 694,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
So let me understand this: You think it's okay to go ahead and suppress the rights of homosexuals just so you can protect your OWN right to express your opposition to it? Where is the balance?
I have not offered my own opinion about gay marriage here, but I think I understand the evangelical point of view regarding it and regarding gay rights in general. I've paraphrased these views in order to explain the likely background of Mitt Romney's position switch on the issue.

Regarding your comment about suppressing "the rights of homosexuals," to what exactly are you referring? If you mean same-sex marriage, there is no such right in most states, and a right that doesn't exist can't be suppressed. Did you perhaps mean something else?

Quote:
And FWIW, I am gay and I am a Christian. I also happen to think it's wrong to suppress the rights of Christians to express their opposition to homosexuality. So your whole "We never hear about gays speaking out against the official censorship of religious opposition to homosexuality" argument just flew out the window.
Well, one exception to a general rule certainly wouldn't throw an argument out the window even if I were making an argument, which I wasn't; it was a simple observation. You're the first gay person I've heard of who opposes suppression of the evangelical point of view on this issue--and that says something. Undoubtedly there are some others--perhaps Christians like yourself--but again, I don't hear them objecting when such censorship is being attempted. Usually it's homosexuals who are spearheading the censorship effort, and with strong support from the gay community.

Quote:
But at the same time, I think it's wrong for Christians to say that gay marriage is somehow worse than straight marriage. I think it's wrong for Christians to try to suppress the rights of gays to determine who should inherit their property, or who should take care of their kids, or who should be allowed to visit them in the hospital, if something happens to them. Do I really have to tell you that divorce among heterosexuals is just as damaging and "bad" as you say gay marriage is? Christians have a high divorce rate in this country, so don't forget the whole "people who live in glass houses" thing.
When did I say gay marriage was bad? I said that many of those who oppose it believe it is bad. If I understand correctly the position that evangelical Christians take on this issue, they believe that both gay marriage and divorce are damaging. And incidentally, I'm not a Christian, so I don't live in a glass house.

On another note, the title of this thread doesn't seem to have a lot to do with either the OP or the responses that have been made to it here. I was drawn to it because I question if it's possible to judge who among the GOP candidates is most conservative. Conservatism has come to mean so many different things to different people that there is no "conservative yardstick" by which all the candidates can be measured.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 10-23-2007 at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality