U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 3,055,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Yeah, I'm not impressed.

God writes the rules, and changes them on a whim... so his 'sacrifice' was completely meaningless.
It is fortunate for all of us, that we are not here to impress you.

Quote:
He 'gave his only begotten son'... oh really? It seems he sent him off for a short while, and what is that time to a being who is supposedly eternal?

The hours jesus spent (or who knows, maybe didn't spend) on the cross are a mere SHADOW of the pain going on all over the earth. A burn victim, a machete amputee, a molested child - may suffer a lifetime of anguish, and yet we're supposed to be impressed by a few days of torture?
I feel fortunate that Christ's death means that my time on this earth is only a short while compared to my eternal life in His kingdom and that any pain and anguish I must bare, will seem like a moment in time when I experience the joys that Christ has prepared for me.

May God bless us all...
Weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,314,329 times
Originally Posted by satanoid
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not impressed.
Jesus did not sacrifice himself to impress YOU.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 AM

443 posts, read 1,092,065 times
Explain it to me then.

I fail to see how a malevolent god using a meaningless sacrifice as an excuse to change the rules should be at all impressive to me.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,562,043 times
Quote:
Explain it to me then.

I fail to see how a malevolent god using a meaningless sacrifice as an excuse to change the rules should be at all impressive to me.
I tried.....I would suggest reading the Bible..

Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 AM

3,086 posts, read 3,969,875 times
Quote:
I agree.. that isn't impressive to me either.

I believe in a loving God who gave His only Son to fulfill the redemption story as impressive and meaningful.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 PM

3,581 posts, read 6,792,545 times
You don't want it explained to you, satanoid. You want to argue.

There is about 2000 years worth of Christian writings on this very subject, which is at the core of the Christian belief system. You've been given a brief summary of at least some of the points that have been considered, but you're just repeating your initial point over and over without any evidence that you're paying attention to what anyone is saying.

Even if you look at it as pure, fictional literature there is still a lot that you can glean about motivation and purpose if you just open your eyes to what the story is telling you.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,908,137 times
Great going for Satanoid! I've thought of very similar questions for years and wanted to give a rep, but had to spread it around first.
Jesus was dead for about 72 hours. Surely, being nailed to a cross must be painful, but I think that many people have suffered much more pain, and for longer periods of time. Without being noticed or finding any compassionate care. There are many people today, suffering and slowly dying from god created diseases (because he loves us, I guess) who will go unnoticed, except maybe by the few people around them. I wonder what anguish a miner experiences, being trapped for several days, 1,000 feet below the earth's surface, not knowing if he will be rescued or die first.
According to the bible, Christ's dying and, 72 hours later, entering into heaven was all pre-arranged. Some people lay unconscious in hospital beds for longer than that...before they die.
Because there was no permanent death involved, Christ's being nailed to the cross was more symbolic than anything else.
If he sacrificed his life, as a martyr, for his beliefs, it can be admired.
But if he knew that within days he would be alive again, it's not much of a sacrifice.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:18 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,908,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
There is about 2000 years worth of Christian writings on this very subject, which is at the core of the Christian belief system. You've been given a brief summary of at least some of the points that have been considered, but you're just repeating your initial point over and over without any evidence that you're paying attention to what anyone is saying.
2,000 years is plenty of time for people to manipulate, distort, and adjust any story.
There is no evidence that Christ entered into heaven. The tomb of Jesus was found to be empty. Who actually saw Jesus fly up into heaven?
The bible, which was written much later, says much, but the bible is not proof of anything.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,562,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
2,000 years is plenty of time for people to manipulate, distort, and adjust any story.
There is no evidence that Christ entered into heaven. The tomb of Jesus was found to be empty. Who actually saw Jesus fly up into heaven?
The bible, which was written much later, says much, but the bible is not proof of anything.
in your opinion...

Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM

3,581 posts, read 6,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
You're missing the point of the sacrifice, too.

The continued existence and success of the Christian faith is the evidence that Christ's sacrifice was meaningful. You wouldn't be talking about it 2000 years after the event if the Crucifixion was meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality