Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It sounds like your sticking point is the doctrine of the Trinity. It might help if you think of Christ as being a human conceived by the Holy Spirit - Mary's immaculate conception. He is human in body and blood, but due to his birthright also carries the authority to redeem mankind.

Don't get hung up on the nature of the Trinity. It's not essential for many Christians.
My sticking point is exactly what I have written: An omnipotent being cannot sacrifice anything. Jesus - an omnipotent being - cannot sacrifice his life. It doesn't matter whether you use the archaic meaning or the modern expanded meaning of "sacrifice."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
My sticking point is exactly what I have written: An omnipotent being cannot sacrifice anything. Jesus - an omnipotent being - cannot sacrifice his life. It doesn't matter whether you use the archaic meaning or the modern expanded meaning of "sacrifice."
but..one that is 100% God and 100% man can. God is in heaven...God is Jesus..God the Holy Spirit..God in three persons.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
yes..alot of people do have trouble with this one..but you see..I believe nothing is impossible with God..defies mans laws? yes
It's not a matter of simply having trouble with a concept. It's a matter of holding to something that is nonsensical. If we define the number 2 as the sum of 1 plus 1, we rule out certain other possiblities. Once we define the number 2, we cannot come back and claim 1 minus 1 equals 2. Yet, this is exactly what one does when he defines God as an omnipotent being, and then claims that he is also a non-omnipotent being and/or that he is capable of sacrifice.

I'm reminded of the old question; can God move an immovable object?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
but..one that is 100% God and 100% man can. God is in heaven...God is Jesus..God the Holy Spirit..God in three persons.
100% is defined as "in totality." Saying that something is 100% this and 100% something else is nonsensical.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
An omnipotent being cannot sacrifice anything. Jesus - an omnipotent being - cannot sacrifice his life.
We're talking about "earthly, natural life". Jesus came to earth and was "born" as a natural person, even tho He really existed before this. Similarly, His natural body died, and He exists today.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
We're talking about "earthly, natural life". Jesus came to earth and was "born" as a natural person, even tho He really existed before this. Similarly, His natural body died, and He exists today.
Yes, I stated that it is reasonable to accept that Jesus was a god in the form of a man. As a god, he can do this, but as a god, he cannot die, which you seem to agree with. Therefore, as a god, he cannot sacrifice his life (unless you want to define "life" as something other than existence. If this be the case, I may as well say that I sacrificed my life when three of my fingers were amputated.)

Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
but God in the form of man..can die..

Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Yes, I stated that it is reasonable to accept that Jesus was a god in the form of a man. As a god, he can do this, but as a god, he cannot die, which you seem to agree with. Therefore, as a god, he cannot sacrifice his life (unless you want to define "life" as something other than existence. If this be the case, I may as well say that I sacrificed my life when three of my fingers were amputated.)
Yes, He was in the form of a man. The point I was trying to bring out was... just as our bodies will die, so Jesus' body died. Death, however, did not extinguish His "existence" just as it does not extinguish our soul... it will live forever. Some would say that Jesus "spiritually died" too, because He was laden with the sins of the whole world, but that is a different subject altogether..

Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
but God in the form of man..can die..
Are you claiming God no longer exists?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Yes, He was in the form of a man. The point I was trying to bring out was... just as our bodies will die, so Jesus' body died.
As a god, Jesus could take the form of another man, or woman, or dog, or a doorknob. We cannot. Whether our souls live on is irrelevant to the fact that human life can be sacrificed. A god cannot sacrifice anything, because an omnipotent being cannot suffer loss, else he lose his omnipotence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality