Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Your expectations for a second coming are neither here, nor there. When Fact seems to be such a complete cagmag, can anyone trust the fantasy?
Won't you be so red faced embarrassed if you are alive when He returns to rule the earth? I think if I were you I would at least give Him enough respect just in case you may be wrong. That would be the wisest position you could take.

Quote:
(2) (Onias III) The passages in Daniel 8:10-11("casting down some of the host and stars...the prince of the host"), 9:26("shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself") and 11:22("...and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant") are generally referred to the murder of Onias.[Wiki]
Balogna. The very specific years Daniel was given from the going forth of the word to rebuild Jerusalem to the Messiah as Prince was very exact and only Jesus fulfilled that to a 'T'. No one else even came close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I think there was a man named Jesus, however, I think he was a con man. You look at guys like Jim Jones of the 70's. Man has always sought to control others. In the time of "Jesus" the majority of the population was uneducated and there was still so much we did not know or could not explain. It would have been easy to an extent, for an intelligent, crafty con-man to convince poor uneducated people who had no hope, stuck in poverty, that you were the son of God. People are always looking for hope. Even today, people fall for the obvous Nigerian email scam despite how connected we are and how quickly information is spread these days. Back then, you had what? Word of mouth? When you think about how stories morph and change (remember the game you played in school, whisper something in someone's ear and then they the next until it goes full circle. By the time it gets back around to the story starter, it's changed completely?) it's easy to see how with just a little bit of ingenuity, one could have pulled off a few tricks, that by the time everyone heard about them, they were tall tales. Yet, with a built following of gullable poor people, these tall tales are no longer tales, but "miracles" or heroics.
Sorry but you can't con multiple people back to life from the dead and being dead over three days. It ain't gonna happen.

Also, it was not just "word of mouth" as you suggest. There were scribes of the Pharisees and Saducees and others scouting Jesus and writing down His words to try to catch Him slipping up, not to mention others who were taking notes.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Sorry but you can't con multiple people back to life from the dead and being dead over three days. It ain't gonna happen.

Also, it was not just "word of mouth" as you suggest. There were scribes of the Pharisees and Saducees and others scouting Jesus and writing down His words to try to catch Him slipping up, not to mention others who were taking notes.
Where are any writings from any scribes who were scouting Jesus?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM

What is more important? Jesus raising people from the dad or being scouted?

Luk_16:14 Now the Pharisees also, inherently fond of money, heard all these things, and they scouted Him."

Luk_23:35 And the people had stood, beholding. Now the chiefs also with them scouted, saying, "Others he saves! Let him save himself, if this is the Christ of God, the Chosen One!"

While they were deriding/scouting Him for what He said they were also writing down what He said.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
What is more important? Jesus raising people from the dad or being scouted?

Luk_16:14 Now the Pharisees also, inherently fond of money, heard all these things, and they scouted Him."

Luk_23:35 And the people had stood, beholding. Now the chiefs also with them scouted, saying, "Others he saves! Let him save himself, if this is the Christ of God, the Chosen One!"

While they were deriding/scouting Him for what He said they were also writing down what He said.
Again, where are these writings? You can't just make statements without evidence.

God doesn't raise people from the dead now. Why would we believe he did it back then?

Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Won't you be so red faced embarrassed if you are alive when He returns to rule the earth? I think if I were you I would at least give Him enough respect just in case you may be wrong. That would be the wisest position you could take.

Balogna. The very specific years Daniel was given from the going forth of the word to rebuild Jerusalem to the Messiah as Prince was very exact and only Jesus fulfilled that to a 'T'. No one else even came close.
Is this really the best you can do? Threats and denial.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Again, where are these writings? You can't just make statements without evidence.

God doesn't raise people from the dead now. Why would we believe he did it back then?
In spite of everything I argued, explained and demonstrated Eusebius still believes the Gospels to be accurate eyewitness documentation. Total closed mind.,

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I take that back Eusebius, because you can and you do regularly. I meant to state that you can't make statements without evidence and be taken seriously.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
I believe that a man whose name is transliterated to English is "Jesus" probably did live a couple thousand years ago, and that he was a preacher with a flock. As far as anything supernatural? No, I don't believe any of it.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I believe that a man whose name is transliterated to English is "Jesus" probably did live a couple thousand years ago, and that he was a preacher with a flock. As far as anything supernatural? No, I don't believe any of it.
That does seem to be the view that predominates. From Thomas Jefferson (whose 'Bible' simply had Jesus moral example but cuts all the divine and supernatural stuff) to myself, who is persuaded that there was (probably) a real Jesus executed by Pilate for the reason given in the Gospels - sedition - but the Christian god- figure doing miracles did not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality