Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Areligious?
I mean, this is basically the old "I believe in god / am spiritual, but not religious" thing, so "areligious" sounds about right. On the other hand you seem to believe in an impersonal / uninvolved god that's not particularly relevant to daily life, so "deist" might apply, too, as you can't be too spiritual or have your life much impacted by that sort of god. In fact I don't see much practical difference between an atheist and a deist. I'm not sure what the point of deism even is. It strikes me as atheism without the intellectual integrity. If there's a point to deism, it's to attempt to avoid or soften some of the hard truths of reality, but if you ask me it's doomed to failure, ultimately.
Your posts are normally so solid and well thought out, mordant . . . but on this particular issue you do seem to have a mental disconnect with solid reasoning . . . usually called a strong emotional bias. Perhaps you haven't taken the naturalist/reductionist/monist perspective through to ALL its logical conclusions . . . considering the existence of consciousness and its subjective experience of reality. In any case, your prediction of doom is unlikely to correspond to reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
apathetic?
It means Not pathetic, but in the sense that you don't care (or often that you might care a bit, but simply don't worry). Since Pathos means emotions. And pathetic used to mean emotional.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-03-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Your post is very confusing...
He is saying that he spoke to the ghost of Jesus for you and Jesus says you are lost and need to accept whatever hljc has to convey from the nethers of Jesus' separation.

Then he said that the ghost of Jesus was actually the Holy Spirit and that Moses and King David (and I'm assuming all the other Jewish royalty) had talked to the Holy Spirit instead of God the Father.

hljc, I suppose it might have been useful for Moses and King David to know their God was part of a trinity composed of three persons that made up one God. No? Should I ask Lady Amaterasu why the Jewish religion was always false?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Its called being some kind of a mental case that thinks spirituality and inspiration is something like a browse through the grocery store and select what you choose... who and what do U think you are anyway..? what is this contemporary human being, some kind of a joke..?
Please, don't be so hard on David. He doesn't need to be a religious fanatic like the rest of us. I hope he might be a moral fanatic and hard-work fanatic, but that is another issue. David has found his spiritual path, at least a name for it... why would your faction oppress his? David is simply an apathetic agnostic deist*. To him, there is no worthy God interacting with our world currently, but there might be one out there after death (or in the future, or somewhere in the nethers), for which there is not much to worry about (IF GOD BE GOOD) as we live our current lives, since it doesn't seem to interact with our world. The world looks pretty mundane (uninfluenced, the way an Godless world would be) to David, and religions all look deluded.

*correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Please, don't be so hard on David. He doesn't need to be a religious fanatic like the rest of us. I hope he might be a moral fanatic and hard-work fanatic, but that is another issue. David has found his spiritual path, at least a name for it... why would your faction oppress his? David is simply an apathetic agnostic deist*. To him, there is no worthy God interacting with our world currently, but there might be one out there after death (or in the future, or somewhere in the nethers), for which there is not much to worry about as we live our current lives, since it doesn't seem to interact with our world. The world looks pretty atheist to David, and religions all look deluded.

ok.. sounds more reasonable

Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Oh, after the Holocaust, Apartheid, etc., there is no way I have total faith in God. To answer your question, it would the second thing you said. I don't believe it would be pantheism to describe this, though.
Yes, I agree that 'Pantheist' is not entirely satisfactity, nor is 'deistgod' since that has the connotation of belief in a creator.

It sounds to me ...really..not just creating you in my own image ... that you are describing agnostic atheism. The 'problem of evil' is your reason for concluding that the particular god of the Bible cannot exist.
About a possible creator, I presume that you don't see any persuasive evidence,but you will tell me that.

Let me say that I have asked the same questions as you and I rejected the Biblical/Abrahamic god - claims as unbelievable and wondered whether there could be a possible deist/Pantheist sorta god. So I call it 'Sortagod' because - as you say Pantheist isn't quite right. It is ok in the sense of a god of all religions or none, but less as nature postulated as some divine thinking entity.

If this as purely academic matter for you and you are not wondering what religion topick on the off-chance that it could be true (This is what I did, so I'm not being sarcastic ) then you would be an agnostic,not knowing whether any possible sorta god could exist. If on that basis, you decided that you could not give credibility to any sortagod, that would make you a-theist.

But of course, you might not (like many agnostics) like the term, implying as it does that one has made up one's mind to reject god -claimsand religions and have stopped looking. I think that is perhaps why many agnostics shy away from the 'atheist' label.

Perhaps 'agnostic - still searching' might be a suitable term.

Your thoughts and comments, please?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Please, don't be so hard on David. He doesn't need to be a religious fanatic like the rest of us. I hope he might be a moral fanatic and hard-work fanatic, but that is another issue. David has found his spiritual path, at least a name for it... why would your faction oppress his? David is simply an apathetic agnostic deist*. To him, there is no worthy God interacting with our world currently, but there might be one out there after death (or in the future, or somewhere in the nethers), for which there is not much to worry about (IF GOD BE GOOD) as we live our current lives, since it doesn't seem to interact with our world. The world looks pretty mundane (uninfluenced, the way an Godless world would be) to David, and religions all look deluded.

That is about as close as we are going to get to what I feel I am, as I am not, myself, totally sure yet. I am just tired of worrying about this God who could very well just be, well, nothing. I am of the belief that religion is a bit outdated. But, the thing I don't like about organized religion if there is no place for intellectual freedom within the religion. We are just given a prayer book, Torah, Qu'ran, Bible, etc., with no other way than to have to accept what is in them as fact.

One of the things I don't understand is why people haven't brought up the possibility that maybe, if there is a God, he or she wouldn't want us worrying about him, and would just want us to live our lives the way we want to live it. Or, for a different scenario, what if God didn't want us praying to him, some but not all blindly, and instead would rather us question him and really think about him or her. Just throwing in a couple alternate theories.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes, I agree that 'Pantheist' is not entirely satisfactity, nor is 'deistgod' since that has the connotation of belief in a creator.

It sounds to me ...really..not just creating you in my own image ... that you are describing agnostic atheism. The 'problem of evil' is your reason for concluding that the particular god of the Bible cannot exist.
About a possible creator, I presume that you don't see any persuasive evidence,but you will tell me that.

Let me say that I have asked the same questions as you and I rejected the Biblical/Abrahamic god - claims as unbelievable and wondered whether there could be a possible deist/Pantheist sorta god. So I call it 'Sortagod' because - as you say Pantheist isn't quite right. It is ok in the sense of a god of all religions or none, but less as nature postulated as some divine thinking entity.

If this as purely academic matter for you and you are not wondering what religion topick on the off-chance that it could be true (This is what I did, so I'm not being sarcastic ) then you would be an agnostic,not knowing whether any possible sorta god could exist. If on that basis, you decided that you could not give credibility to any sortagod, that would make you a-theist.

But of course, you might not (like many agnostics) like the term, implying as it does that one has made up one's mind to reject god -claimsand religions and have stopped looking. I think that is perhaps why many agnostics shy away from the 'atheist' label.

Perhaps 'agnostic - still searching' might be a suitable term.

Your thoughts and comments, please?
At the end of the day, I might be agnostic. I don't feel like I'm atheist, but rather am not sure if there is a God up there, realized it doesn't really affect me if there is or isn't, and am not going to be told what to believe anymore. I really appreciate you, and most of the other people on this thread for giving me awesome feedback, it's not every time you post something that people are so kind!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
At the end of the day, I might be agnostic. I don't feel like I'm atheist, but rather am not sure if there is a God up there, realized it doesn't really affect me if there is or isn't, and am not going to be told what to believe anymore. I really appreciate you, and most of the other people on this thread for giving me awesome feedback, it's not every time you post something that people are so kind!
I don't think this should be so difficult. Simply answer these questions?

1. Do you have faith that there is a god(s)? No? Go to Question #2. Yes? Go to Question #3.
2. Do you see any evidence for a god(s)? No? Then you're atheist. Go to Question #5. Yes? You are a theist or a deist. Go to Question #3
3. What do you think are the attributes of this god(s)? According to your answer, you should be able to match with one of the thousands of religions. If you have no match, go to next question.
4. Do you think this god(s) is a "hands-off" god(s)? Yes? You are a deist. Go to next question. No? You are a theist. Go to next question.
5. Are you certain that this god(s) does or does not exist? Yes? You are gnostic. No? You are agnostic. These terms are prefixes to atheist, deist, theist. i.e. agnostic atheist.

This is a bit simplistic. But, it should be a good start to eliminate some options.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I don't think this should be so difficult. Simply answer these questions?

1. Do you have faith that there is a god(s)? No? Go to Question #2. Yes? Go to Question #3.
2. Do you see any evidence for a god(s)? No? Then you're atheist. Go to Question #5. Yes? You are a theist or a deist. Go to Question #3
3. What do you think are the attributes of this god(s)? According to your answer, you should be able to match with one of the thousands of religions. If you have no match, go to next question.
4. Do you think this god(s) is a "hands-off" god(s)? Yes? You are a deist. Go to next question. No? You are a theist. Go to next question.
5. Are you certain that this god(s) does or does not exist? Yes? You are gnostic. No? You are agnostic. These terms are prefixes to atheist, deist, theist. i.e. agnostic atheist.

This is a bit simplistic. But, it should be a good start to eliminate some options.
I think you are making things waaaay too simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality