Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sadly...that's true. The ones on this thread though, and on this board in general have not demonstrated that knowledge.
I've challenged you on several of your interpretations. For example Romans 1:27. I gave proof that early Church fathers like Clement and Augustine had very different interpretations to yours. And that the Greek didn't say what you claimed it said.

And Genesis 3:15? - I showed that Augustine had a very different interpretation to yours.

Your answer? "They were wrong."

Which is really funny considering your brand of Christianity is very much based on Augustines' work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I think there is a lot of academic knowledge of the Bible. I think the skepticism has kept people from having an open mind and looking at all the facts.
In my opiniion, you appear to be reading the Bible from a devotional viewpoint, ready to believe everything you read and have been told because you have based your faith on an 'innerant god-inspired" Bible.

Others are reading it from academic, contextual, textual criticism, hermaneutical viewpoints with an "open mind and looking at all facts" - including the historical and cultural contexts, contradictions, obvious myths, pious fraud etc.

It's when you start trying to claim your interpretation is the only "truth", when we've all heard many many people all claiming that their interpretations are the only "truth" (and they are all different), that it gets a little silly and tiring.

Many young aspiring pastors start that way and stay that way, never going on to study the Bible critically at an academic level. Others, once they have studied the Bible at an academic critical thinking level, either give up the 'innerant' stance but still stay strong in their faith, or end up doubting their faith because they realise a lot of what they believed and had been taught about the Bible was not true, or end up as an agnostic.

If a persons faith is based on ignoring evidence, it doesn't say a lot about the strength of their faith.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-11-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you think I am....but I'm not one of these guys that prayed to receive Jesus when I was 3 and then was raised in the church until I went off to Bible school at age 18. I didn't meet Christ until I was 20 years old....after quite a bit of skepticism and worldly living. I've studied apologetics for 20 years and have thought all this stuff through. I'd be inclined to believe I've thought a lot more about this stuff than you have.
You've studied "Apologetics" which is devotional study, not academic 'let's look critically at the facts' study.

Apologetics is the sort of stuff that non-academic non-scholarly people like Josh McDowell write- full of devotional and non-factual claims, ignoring facts and evidence, making huge leaps of faith based on assumptions, all to make people feel good in their faith, but severely lacking in critical thinking and evidence etc.

Can you name some of the books/authors you've 'studied'?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
I told you my background like that for the reason that I think a lot of kids are raised in the church and learn their parents' faith...but they just don't believe it. That's ok--you ultimately didn't believe and you left. I won't demonize you and say you are a horrible person.

Having said that, I grew up catholic. I started to doubt the faith in my teens...and did some studying. I looked hard at catholicism...read the Book of Mormon and checked it out....studied Jehovah's Witnesses, and a lot of world religions. I've had that crisis of faith where I wondered if it was all real. Ultimately I became a Christian when I was 20 years old. I've been a student of logical and philosophical thought for the past 20 years.
Really? How is it logical to ignore evidence just because it doesn't support your beliefs?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
And they're fanciful tales set to poetry. Yay.
Doesn't sound like you've read any or know what the genre is.

Even a brief google search gives a place to start:

Definition of epic in Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English)

Epic Poetry - Ancient Classical Epic Poetry

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
A lot of "nitpicking" here about sundry stuff.

So!...lets get to some now PROVEN FACTS by GldnRule relative to the the broader subject of the OP...and what we might conclude from that.

Now that it is "said and done"....The Bible mini-series: #1 CABLE EVENT!!!!!!
OVER 14 MILLION for the premier episode...27 MILLION tuning in over the course of the series!
Most "telling"...very big "youth viewer" numbers!!
Exceeded ALL expectations and predictions.

A series about The Bible...on the HISTORY channel...soars above any expected heights. What's THAT tell ya?!!

Run a series of a critique of, say, Hawkings dissertations...see what kind of numbers THAT does! HaHaHa!

Those that get all out-of-sorts about Theism in general, specifically religion, and more specifically Christianity...have just had ANOTHER REALITY CHECK of how powerful and formidable what they are up against REALLY is.

From a "Arena of World Merit" standpoint...what that series represented is STILL the "Grand Champion" and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Their main "brand" is electing a new leader right now...and is "resetting" to build strength again.

Atheism is taking a heavy 1-2 shot to the jibs at the moment...something as weak and insignificant as it already is can ill afford. Not that it was ever going to be anything anyway...but the proponents have been crowing about how "dead" interest in religion is as of late, especially with young people.
They say people that follow religion are "deluded". The only "delusion" is their assumption that their "Concept of Nothing" (as respects the existence of God), is anything more than a "nothing concept" as far as its ability to muster any real power or influence.

Some FACTS OF REALITY to glean form this:
Theism---ALPHA CONCEPT!! #1 BABY!!
Religion---"Champion Team" in the League!!
Christianity---Most Valuable Player on that Team!
Atheism---If it was possible to become more "nothing" than the "nothing" it already was...that would describe it. So, make sure you get out and do something really significant...like protest a "Good News Club", or file a lawsuit against a Jesus picture in a small rural Ohio middle-school! That'll show 'em! HaHa!
ONLY 14 Million? Madonna drew nearly 10 times that much at the 2012 Super Bowl halftime show. And, the movie OZ the Great and Powerful, has been seen by over 15 million. Your 14 million isn't very impressive after all, considering more people have seen another fantasy movie.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
A lot of "nitpicking" here about sundry stuff.

So!...lets get to some now PROVEN FACTS by GldnRule relative to the the broader subject of the OP...and what we might conclude from that.

Now that it is "said and done"....The Bible mini-series: #1 CABLE EVENT!!!!!!
OVER 14 MILLION for the premier episode...27 MILLION tuning in over the course of the series!
Most "telling"...very big "youth viewer" numbers!!
Exceeded ALL expectations and predictions.

A series about The Bible...on the HISTORY channel...soars above any expected heights. What's THAT tell ya?!!

Run a series of a critique of, say, Hawkings dissertations...see what kind of numbers THAT does! HaHaHa!

Those that get all out-of-sorts about Theism in general, specifically religion, and more specifically Christianity...have just had ANOTHER REALITY CHECK of how powerful and formidable what they are up against REALLY is.

From a "Arena of World Merit" standpoint...what that series represented is STILL the "Grand Champion" and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Their main "brand" is electing a new leader right now...and is "resetting" to build strength again.

Atheism is taking a heavy 1-2 shot to the jibs at the moment...something as weak and insignificant as it already is can ill afford. Not that it was ever going to be anything anyway...but the proponents have been crowing about how "dead" interest in religion is as of late, especially with young people.
They say people that follow religion are "deluded". The only "delusion" is their assumption that their "Concept of Nothing" (as respects the existence of God), is anything more than a "nothing concept" as far as its ability to muster any real power or influence.

Some FACTS OF REALITY to glean form this:
Theism---ALPHA CONCEPT!! #1 BABY!!
Religion---"Champion Team" in the League!!
Christianity---Most Valuable Player on that Team!
Atheism---If it was possible to become more "nothing" than the "nothing" it already was...that would describe it. So, make sure you get out and do something really significant...like protest a "Good News Club", or file a lawsuit against a Jesus picture in a small rural Ohio middle-school! That'll show 'em! HaHa!
So basically you are saying that some people like to be entertained, not educated. Mmmm okay, what's new?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, it was a joke. What I meant was that Christianity and the The Bible 10 episode series will Enlighten our Nation to science and math and logic and ethics.
Well, What is funny is that they would NEVER make the ACTUAL BIBLE into any sort of series, because its so evil and boring and weird.
I thought the Irony of your comment about Hawkins series was far too truthful. Cherry picking and biased interpretations is all the slothful followers will be exposed to. The oppression, corruption, and self-congratulation from theists in the school systems which you laughed and congratulated was also too pitiable, since it weakens a Nation.

And it's all due to atheist complacency. Scientific complacency as well. Taking over the "community centers" and Sunday propaganda, would do the Anti-religious some good, but they are too complacent to see that. All it needs is a little free-market competition and monopoly busting.
How many people watched Monty Python's Life of Brian?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The dark ages aren't coming anytime soon. Maybe for followers of Satan. This world is getting ready to be shaken up by the manifestation of Heaven on Earth. It's going to be an atheist and scientist worst nightmare because there will be nowhere to run from the truth. The supernatural will become a part of day to day life. There will be a massive influx of Christianity. We ain't going nowhere. The Bible miniseries is just the beginning.
This is what happens when people confuse fantasy with reality.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The dark ages aren't coming anytime soon. Maybe for followers of Satan. This world is getting ready to be shaken up by the manifestation of Heaven on Earth. It's going to be an atheist and scientist worst nightmare because there will be nowhere to run from the truth. The supernatural will become a part of day to day life. There will be a massive influx of Christianity. We ain't going nowhere. The Bible miniseries is just the beginning.
I thought Ray Comfort's Banana was "an atheists worst nightmare"

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.W_s1vPE0Cww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality