Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
More like they read only to seek out those words and phrases which prove their own points. they have more in common with fundamentalist Christians than they imagine.
there is nothing common between the 2 stop repeating this slanderous lie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm sure that there are those who will present us with a rationale discrediting any link between schizophrenia and demonic possession of old. I believe that there is.
Did I somehow misunderstand you? Could you explain the above statement please.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because they act like they don't have a clue what it says?
Well, since I didn't get a straight answer....

Actually, I suspect it's because you don't like any interpretation of the Bible that is not the one you promote and believe in. (Millions and millions of people have read the Bible. Millions. The chances are pretty good that posters on a Religion and Spirituality board are included in those millions. )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-10-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, since I didn't get a straight answer....

Actually, I suspect it's because you don't like any interpretation of the Bible that is not the one you promote and believe in. (Millions and millions of people have read the Bible. Millions. The chances are pretty good that many of the people on this board are included in those millions.)
No...as I said. It appears that they don't have a clue what it actually says.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
More precisely, it appears to you they don't have a clue.

Whereas they would likely disagree. And do.

Often.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Actually according to a Pew survey on religion and the bible, atheists and agnostics know more about the bible than the religious... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us...gion.html?_r=0

Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually according to a Pew survey on religion and the bible, atheists and agnostics know more about the bible than the religious... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us...gion.html?_r=0
Sadly...that's true. The ones on this thread though, and on this board in general have not demonstrated that knowledge.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Sadly...that's true. The ones on this thread though, and on this board in general have not demonstrated that knowledge.
Vizio. Vizio..... On my earlier post I gave you a little credit. Don't dissapoint me, please....

I still do commend you because you stick to your beliefs, but you're going to have to do much better if you want to present a valid argument on CD when it comes to debating people.

These people know a lot about the Bible, more than me in fact, and I was raised fundamentalist and went through 9 years of AWANA's as a kid (Timothy Trophy and all! ). There's a reason you don't engage people like Rifleman and Sanspeur on this board. They know what they're talking about, and they have PROOF to back their claims.

I get the feeling you're young and ambitious, very likely fresh out of the seminary. Then again, these days, many aspiring preachers get an online credential to minister in their respective faith. I don't know what you have, but your arguments are very weak.

Your faith is strong, but if you are to engage people on CD and be viewed as respectable for doing so, you need to dig a little deeper and challenge people with something other than blind faith and statements like "I don't really know, but my Bible tells me so".

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Vizio. Vizio..... On my earlier post I gave you a little credit. Don't dissapoint me, please....

I still do commend you because you stick to your beliefs, but you're going to have to do much better if you want to present a valid argument on CD when it comes to debating people.

These people know a lot about the Bible, more than me in fact, and I was raised fundamentalist and went through 9 years of AWANA's as a kid (Timothy Trophy and all! ). There's a reason you don't engage people like Rifleman and Sanspeur on this board. They know what they're talking about, and they have PROOF to back their claims.

I get the feeling you're young and ambitious, very likely fresh out of the seminary. Then again, these days, many aspiring preachers get an online credential to minister in their respective faith. I don't know what you have, but your arguments are very weak.

Your faith is strong, but if you are to engage people on CD and be viewed as respectable for doing so, you need to dig a little deeper and challenge people with something other than blind faith and statements like "I don't really know, but my Bible tells me so".
I think there is a lot of academic knowledge of the Bible. I think the skepticism has kept people from having an open mind and looking at all the facts.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I think there is a lot of academic knowledge of the Bible. I think the skepticism has kept people from having an open mind and looking at all the facts.
So can you separate the facts in the bible from the myths? Can you give me an example of each?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality