Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

That's right.

I don't know if this thread will fly or not. If not, please just kindly delete my thread here, mods. I mean no harm.

It's just that I think I have what the Atheist wants... proof of God.

Here it is in all Its Glory!

I'm not meaning to be a smart-aleck or anything.

I just truly think I've got an answer, because I had an experience... a perhaps Atheistic experience.

I got into a huge fight with God and determined that God's either dead, or is not there... like as in perhaps Never Was!

So what did I do? I called God out.

I cussed God out and determined that if there was a God, we'd have a knock-down drag-out session right there.

I should have went to Hell over this or should soon wind up there.

But guess what?

God showed up. In spades.

Have a fight with God. Test God! That's right. Do that, and see what happens.

If you can do that, as in right now, not, "Oh, I've done that millions of times years ago!", but do that now with this thought in mind, then hat's off to ya.

What thought is that?

Maybe, just maybe, God gets off on our suffering.

And why would that be?

Another topic for another day.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
You'll have to at least say how "God showed up in spades"

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
I was just about to say the same thing. I tell you what, if you can tell me how exactly God manifested himself in order for you to physically fight with him, I'll give it a go.

I like the way you left enormous empty gaps between sentences - especially after you said "Here it is in all Its Glory!. I thought we were going to get a nice photo or something. But the empty space kind of reinforced the point.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I did that with Santa - same thing happened - except I won.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
By having a fight with god you sound like you made the initial assumption that there was one to have a fight with. That does not sound like someone who allegedly concluded "God's either dead, or is not there". It sounds like the exact opposite in fact.

The insidious nature of religious thought is that if you start from the premise there is a god and fit the evidence to that assumption... it often works. Confirmation Bias and Circular Reasoning are powerful fallacies and many a human mind has fallen for them.

For me if there is no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning on offer to suggest there even IS a god... and there isn't, especially not on THIS thread from THIS op.... then posturing around pretending to have fights with it is pointless arbitrary nonsense.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Sorry OP I'm not usually one to have a go but this has got to be about the worst premise for a god I've possibly ever heard.
I don't have a problem with people believing in god - people can believe what they like as far as I'm concerned but you are about the first person I've heard who imagines god is going to pop up and play fisticuffs right there in your living room. Is this supposed to be your example to convince us atheists?
Just makes you sound like you've had a good night out and are a bit the worse for wear. To be honest with you I've been giggling at the image in my head all afternoon.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
I agree with the others -- you may have convinced yourself, but you haven't convinced me.

If nothing else, this does reinforce William James' notion that religious devotion comes from individual experiences.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Did God give you a limp like he did 'ole Jacob?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I did that with Santa - same thing happened - except I won.
That must have been before my accident....

I was driving down the road, at night, in my truck. I hit something. When I stopped, my grill was all smashed in, and I had this busted up sleigh and some fat little guy with white hair and beard embedded in it. When I looked around, I got a glimpse of a shiny red nose in the woods.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Ha! It would figure that only the radically atheistic folks would come to balk.

God... or let me honor you sophisticated folks... [g]od did not come "down", materialize before me, and kick at my knees nor take a swipe at me.

I've cussed God out before and it always seems to have caused a stir of some sort, perhaps in my own imagination for whom this notion of a God may be.

God showed up and more or less answered my prayer in a way that I'm quite sure of. I cannot cut you off a slice of it, take a picture of it, record it, nor facebook it for you to analyze... with the dull and boring five senses anyway... four of which reside in your stubborn and predictable heads.

I could write a book on the behaviors and "religion" of the common radical atheist, starting with the inability to provide them with end-all, be-all undeniable and indisputable evidence of a Czar of the Heavens and the Sky.

You guys didn't even focus in on my main premise.

But oh well.

I did attempt to just throw in the towel of my waring faith and play it straight like you folks... and live off the belief... the notion that there IS no God and maybe never ever WAS a God. I did that for most of a day and the rest of the night. It was a long cold day... for me.

Describe your experience of how you felt when you decided to just give up on the notion of the existence of a [g]OD...

Let me quess... you felt uplifted and a sense of Freedom fell upon you? Oh, and you also felt pissed off at the world that let you down with the fairy-tales, lies, archaic traditions, superstitions, etc.

Was not the freedom from the bondage of religion as much a Revelation for you as my re-connection with my faith in this Architect of the Universe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality