U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,409,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Should Christians have supported slavery or segregation, since that was legal at the time?

Because I'm thinking "legal" doesnt mean "right", and "illegal" doesn't mean "wrong".

For reasons that are sometimes good and sometimes bad, congress writes laws. But just because Congress passes a law, that has nothing to do with the morality of subject. It may just mean that the lobbyist on one side had more money than the lobbyist on the other side.

not only your congress!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 AM

7,433 posts, read 6,694,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

The government has determined it to be illegal. That's the biggest reason you should avoid partaking. If you call yourself a Christian you should obey the government.

Christians in Massachusetts can and do smoke pot legally.

One can have in their possession a specific amount (June thinks its the equivalent of a couple of joints) and not be arrested. Can't find a Jason Upton cd anywhere in the state, but Christians up here can get legally stoned.

"Amen."

Take gentle reefer care.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 AM

1,121 posts, read 1,963,905 times
Well, Jesus did turn the water into wine at a wedding to keep the party going. But I don't ever remember reading that he rolled a joint for himself or everyone else. If that is the case you have probably turned priviledge into license to have your own way. But don't dismay. 100% of people who subscribe to religious beliefs in this world, including myself, have done exactly the same thing at one time or another to make things easier in this human exsistance. That does not mean we are not good and faithful people, it just means that we will face our individual judgement when the time comes and it will matter, or it won't.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,364,492 times
Is the moral of the story that marijuana is okay as long as its legal?
Why aren't we all writing our "representatives" to make them legalize marijuana?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,409,389 times
^
the morals of the people using it may widely differ from rather arbitrary assignations to the morale of its (and their) usefulness...

and that should be food for thought, if still possible, imho.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 06-16-2009 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 06-16-2009, 06:22 AM

4,459 posts, read 3,754,290 times
Quote:
there are a lot of harmful things that grow in the earth that are harmful to us, but aren't mentioned in the Bible.

The government has determined it to be illegal. That's the biggest reason you should avoid partaking. If you call yourself a Christian you should obey the government.
Just like Jesus did?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM

5,356 posts, read 3,142,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Just like Jesus did?

I have to spread it around before I give it again.

I was thinking Dr. MLKing Jr. I wonder if anyone thinks his civil disobedience was wrong, since it violated the law.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,891,576 times
I just found this thread and didn't really feel like wading through all 100+ posts. So if this is redundant, I am sorry.

As far as it being on the "list of not to do's" because it's Illegal, I think has been brought up - Legality and right and wrong are not always the same - some would say are often not the same. This is kind of a copout in a way seeing as how marijuana prohibition causes at least as much, and in many ways much more harm than just smoking it. So while abstaining may cooperate with man's laws, there is a very large injustice that is being passivly accepted.

As far as the "god put it here for us to use" argument. There are no doubt objecters that say "well hemlock was made by god also". the crux of this is that marijuana doesn't cause the same kind of harm - it's relativly harmless. I think someone already mentioned it that a lot of money has been spent trying to convince people that it is the next plague with little result. Yes, smoking a half ounce per day is going to cause some problems - like eating 3 big macs per day will also do. Marijuana can of course be taken by oral consumption in the form of brownies, cookies - pretty much anything that takes oil or butter and bakes at a low temp... This avoids a lot of lung complications, but many people avoid it because it is a very expensive tray of brownies ($100-400+) and takes a while to prepare. Where I was going with this is that much of the health effects of marijuana are studied from smokers. Eating it cuts those risks into tiny fractions.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,891,576 times
Quote:
there are a lot of harmful things that grow in the earth that are harmful to us, but aren't mentioned in the Bible.

This is kind of a copuot kd. The government is NOT always right, and judging by what the religious right has to say, the government is doing hardly anything right. I thought being a christian was about doing what's right, not passively accepting orders from the government despite its (lack of) ethical legitimacy. If that's what being a Christian is about, I want nothing to do with it...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM

21,336 posts, read 26,242,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11
Well, Jesus did turn the water into wine at a wedding to keep the party going. ...
Pardon me, but you clearly missed the main points of that story.

After the week long drunk feast had started, it was brought to Jesus' attention that it was his responsibility to provide further booze.

He did his trick.

Then when they tasted it, the mayor scolded him.

The 'good' expensive booze was normally used at the beginning of the party when folks could still taste it, before they got their buzz on. Jesus had provided the high quality booze as the second round of drink, when normally only cheap rotgut was drank.

Jesus' response was that His Father only provides the 'best'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality