U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM

21,924 posts, read 28,871,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis
I just found this thread and didn't really feel like wading through all 100+ posts. So if this is redundant, I am sorry.

As far as it being on the "list of not to do's" because it's Illegal, I think has been brought up - Legality and right and wrong are not always the same - some would say are often not the same. This is kind of a copout in a way seeing as how marijuana prohibition causes at least as much, and in many ways much more harm than just smoking it. So while abstaining may cooperate with man's laws, there is a very large injustice that is being passivly accepted.

As far as the "god put it here for us to use" argument. There are no doubt objecters that say "well hemlock was made by god also". the crux of this is that marijuana doesn't cause the same kind of harm - it's relativly harmless.
"Relatively Harmless"???

Since the government made it illegal, they have spent over $1billion in research trying to discover a health risk, to scientifically 'proof' that it is bad for us.

So far the biggest health risk is that 1 out of 1,000 men may grow breasts.

Most men I know would love to have breasts near by 24/7.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 AM

4,086 posts, read 5,122,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I a evengelical christian, not a whako though, I find nothing wrong with enjoying the herb that god put on earth. It says nothing in the bible about it. What do you think?
1. It's illegal, and there's plenty in the Bible instructing us to never disobey governmental authority.

2. It's damaging to the body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit, for Christians. One marijuana cigarette has more tar than several cigarettes, and the tar (resin) in marijuana is far more damaging to the aveoli in the lungs than even unfiltered tobacco (and most tobacco smokers either filter it or don't inhale, but not that cigarettes are really fine either).

3. The Bible clearly instructs us to be filled with the Holy Spirit and not to be given over to intoxication. The whole point of smoking marijuana is to become intoxicated. It's not like alcohol which people drink for culinary purposes, with no intent of intoxication. Marijuana is only used for intoxication.

Those are the Biblical reasons for a Christian to not use marijuana; it's very clear. In addition, there are several non-Biblical reasons for not smoking or using marijuana, such as:
- you're not a 14-year-old anymore, so grow up
- it's illegal
- it's not good for you physically or mentally
- it's a waste of money
- you could lose your job over it
- if you need marijuana to feel good then your life sucks and instead of getting high you should be fixing your life so that you can get natural highs out of your enjoyment of life itself

I'm so sick of the pro-pot movement. I wish people whose bodies left the eighth grade would let their mentalities do the same. What else do pot-smokers do? Have slumber parties? Sneak beers into your jeans jacket so you can go drink them by the train tracks? Throw parties in your mom and dad's house when they go away for a night??? Grow up already, people, and get lives.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,993,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
If it weren't illegal I would say it's the same as alcohol. But the illegal part is there wether you like it or not, so no you shouldn't do it.
If MLK had this mindset, he would have just shut up and sat in the back of the bus.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,092,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
1. It's illegal, and there's plenty in the Bible instructing us to never disobey governmental authority.

Romans 13:1-8 - "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God. ..."

So Martin Luther King, the abolitionists, Martin Niemoller, Heather Mercer, those early Christians who refused to follow the state religion...they were just trouble-making rabble, eh?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny
2. It's damaging to the body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit, for Christians. One marijuana cigarette has more tar than several cigarettes, and the tar (resin) in marijuana is far more damaging to the aveoli in the lungs than even unfiltered tobacco (and most tobacco smokers either filter it or don't inhale, but not that cigarettes are really fine either).
After so many millions of dollars spent on medical research, and all they had to do was ask you instead.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Romans 13:1-8 - "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God. ..."

So Martin Luther King, the abolitionists, Martin Niemoller, Heather Mercer, those early Christians who refused to follow the state religion...they were just trouble-making rabble, eh?
There is ONE exception from obeying governmental authority given in God's Word:

Acts 5:29 "But Peter and the [other] apostles answered and said: "We ought to obey God rather than men."

Martin Luther King recognized that there were situations where he would have to break the law to stay true to God, and did so. If he ever broke the law unnecessarily then he has to answer to God for that. I have no clue whatsoever who Martin Niemoller or Heather Mercer are - I don't watch enough TV to know them I guess.

If you heed God's Word in its entirety then you would understand the idea of obedience to authoriity and what the limitations are.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If MLK had this mindset, he would have just shut up and sat in the back of the bus.
MLK broke the law in favor of God's law. Breaking the law to buy and (ab)use marijuana is just breaking the law to serve one's selfish desires. Huge difference, and any "evangelical Christian", as the OP claims to be, should know the difference.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
After so many millions of dollars spent on medical research, and all they had to do was ask you instead.

No, I got my info from so many millions of dollars of medical research. Get a clue, pothead.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM

4,512 posts, read 4,720,212 times
^
something wrong with your ringtones, mister?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No, I got my info from so many millions of dollars of medical research. Get a clue, pothead.
LOL

You are so funny.

I don't smoke pot.

But it is nice to see how judgemental you are.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality