U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,128,382 times
Default "mystical" experiences

Yes, I remember them well ( well sort of ) those "mystical" experiences.
I could never remember the "enlightenment" the day after, so I decided to write one down. So the next morning, I anxiously looked for the paper that contained the hidden "truth" .
And there it was in handwritten pencil; "the frog jumped over the puddle".

Can anyone tell me what it means?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM

7,459 posts, read 6,871,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
the hidden "truth" .

Sure. It's a Zen koan?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,809,497 times
Since we shouldn't do it because it is illegal here.. can we do it in Amsterdam if we vistited?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM

20,003 posts, read 20,299,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I a evengelical christian, not a whako though, I find nothing wrong with enjoying the herb that god put on earth. It says nothing in the bible about it. What do you think?
God word does say this 1 Corinthians 3:16 "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you"?

It is not religion that keeps me from marijuana. As a Christian I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do this, it would not bring God any glory. I don't smoke or drink for the same reason, for me, I feel it is wrong.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Yes, I remember them well ( well sort of ) those "mystical" experiences.
I could never remember the "enlightenment" the day after, so I decided to write one down. So the next morning, I anxiously looked for the paper that contained the hidden "truth" .

ROFL!! We actually have a children's book titled, The Frog and the Puddle...maybe you were reading it by mistake instead of the bible!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,809,497 times
Marijuana and the Bible

From who else but ... The Family Council on Drug Awareness..

but to be fair and balanced..

What does the Bible say about using marijuana or pot? Although I've never thought of marijuana as a god..

Also..

The Bible and Marijuana?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Marijuana and the Bible

From who else but ... The Family Council on Drug Awareness..

but to be fair and balanced..

What does the Bible say about using marijuana or pot? Although I've never thought of marijuana as a god..

Also..

The Bible and Marijuana?
Ok but to be fair is said nothing about eating "special" brownies in those.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,698,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God word does say this 1 Corinthians 3:16 "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you"?

It is not religion that keeps me from marijuana. As a Christian I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do this, it would not bring God any glory. I don't smoke or drink for the same reason, for me, I feel it is wrong.
I understand how you would feel it is a personal matter of conscience. And yes, we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. But one could just as easily say we shouldn't consume fat, or sugar, or caffeine. Indeed, since aspirin and medications are chemical substances that produce certain effects in the body - including some adverse side effects - we should probably avoid those as well. But why don't we?

We put our bodies in danger every time we get into a car and drive down the highway. Or fly in a plane. Or ride a roller coaster. Should we be risking harm to our bodies in those ways?

What about using marijuana for medicinal purposes? If getting a buzz can help alleviate the pain for some cancer patients, is that acceptable?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 AM

24,763 posts, read 27,372,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
kaykay beat me to the fact its illegal!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I had a friend some years ago that had the same thoughts about marijuana being OK for a Christian, but he felt the Lord convicted him that it was wrong, if for no other reason, because it's illegal. And Romans 12(?) or is 13 (?) tells us we should obey legal authority. Just a thought...
Well, I have a very different perspective - not only being from a different religion, but it's basically legal in my state (CA). I have a prescription for my arthritis, and enjoy the herb legally on a regular basis... hasn't caused any negative effects, aside from a bit of the munchies. My religion isn't really specific about it, but my personal view is that G-d put it here as a natural healing device - so why not? We use other herbs & plants of His (or whom/whatever you believe in) creation, when they're found to have a useful or positive purpose. It's certainly better than other Rx drugs I've tried, which caused dizziness, nausea, heart palpitations, stomach ulcers, and more. Wish the stupid federal govt. would get their heads out of their........ sorry, this rant is better for the P&OC forum!

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 AM

24,763 posts, read 27,372,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Ehhh - maybe. It could conceivably be different. I've never smoked pot, so I really couldn't answer this question from personal experience - but when you take a hit off a joint, don't you immediately feel the effects of getting "high"?
Not always... if it's REALLY good weed & a REALLY big hit (i.e. off a bong ), you will feel high within a few seconds. But usually it takes a bit longer to "sink in," depending on how you're feeling and how you're smoking it.

Quote:
It's not the same thing with alcohol, where it's possible to have one, or even several, drinks without feeling buzzed. Is it possible to smoke "a little pot" so that you don't feel it's affects?
There are definitely varied levels of "highness," once again depending on the quality/strength, method of ingestion, amount, even the time of day. One day I'll take a few hits, and go out immediately afterward with no feeling of having an altered state... the next day I might smoke a large joint, and will be in NO state to face the public for hours! And there's your marijuana 101 lesson, not surprisingly from our resident San Franciscan - boy, the people at P&OC would love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality