U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2007, 05:53 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,323,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm actually surprised no one thought that God made the marijuana plant for a purpose.....
I'm sure there was a purpose in it. Medicinally there are many good uses for it...ask Giz she's gotten relief from it. It well surpasses all other antiemetics. So like other plants there is a purpose, but some people abuse good things and that is always a problem.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:01 AM

6,584 posts, read 8,520,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I'm sure there was a purpose in it. Medicinally there are many good uses for it...ask Giz she's gotten relief from it. It well surpasses all other antiemetics. So like other plants there is a purpose, but some people abuse good things and that is always a problem.
I'll be honest with you... I'm not a big fan of painkillers just to alleviate day to day inconveniences. The reason your body "hurts" is because it's telling you it doesn't like the way you're doing something. You sprain your wrist, it hurts if you move it a certain way. If it no longer hurts while you are performing the task because of painkillers, than I think you pose a greater risk of injuring it even more, and in the long run, causing even worse pain.

Don't get me wrong, I beg for the novacaine at the dentist, but to put things in perspective, have you ever tried to eat while you're still numb and bitten your lip? Have you ever bit it so hard that you didn't feel it because of the novacaine but said "Wow, that's gonna hurt like an S O B when the novacaine wears off." I think we induce a lot more pain on ourselves when we take pain medications for "petty" usage. No, I'm not implying that gizmo's arthiritis isn't worthy of medication, I have no idea to the extent of it.

I firmly believe I have carpal tunnel, and I've been meaning to get it checked out. However, I notice that when I have correct "typing posture" it doesn't seem to bother me. Now, if I was doped up on meds I would have no idea if I was incorrectly typing. I don't think that that would help me out in the long run. Yes, if my leg got caught in a woodchipper pass me the morphine, but I'm not going to take pain meds for my carpal tunnel. Sorry to get off topic, just something I've been thinking about for a while now.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,323,612 times
Quote:
I'll be honest with you... I'm not a big fan of painkillers just to alleviate day to day inconveniences. The reason your body "hurts" is because it's telling you it doesn't like the way you're doing something. You sprain your wrist, it hurts if you move it a certain way. If it no longer hurts while you are performing the task because of painkillers, than I think you pose a greater risk of injuring it even more, and in the long run, causing even worse pain.

Don't get me wrong, I beg for the novacaine at the dentist, but to put things in perspective, have you ever tried to eat while you're still numb and bitten your lip? Have you ever bit it so hard that you didn't feel it because of the novacaine but said "Wow, that's gonna hurt like an S O B when the novacaine wears off." I think we induce a lot more pain on ourselves when we take pain medications for "petty" usage. No, I'm not implying that gizmo's arthiritis isn't worthy of medication, I have no idea to the extent of it.

I firmly believe I have carpal tunnel, and I've been meaning to get it checked out. However, I notice that when I have correct "typing posture" it doesn't seem to bother me. Now, if I was doped up on meds I would have no idea if I was incorrectly typing. I don't think that that would help me out in the long run. Yes, if my leg got caught in a woodchipper pass me the morphine, but I'm not going to take pain meds for my carpal tunnel. Sorry to get off topic, just something I've been thinking about for a while now.
I'm with you on that. When I went to the doctor for my brokeness last week he gave me a huge supply of vicodin...and I've only taken 1...because that day I drove too much and I couldn't sleep with the throbbing. But normally I'd rather be in a little pain than fuzzy headed...being the control freak that I am I like to have control of myself as well. But like you said for extreme dibilitating pain that interfers with daily living then pain management is needed. Again it's very easy to abuse these things and people need to be careful what they are doing with them. Oh and yes I've had that experience with novacaine...and it's not pretty.

Edit: Also try a wrist guard for the carpal tunnel it will keep your wrist in the right position.

Last edited by irishmom; 10-26-2007 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

12,382 posts, read 14,676,160 times
I agree Irish and Troop..I very seldom take anything for pain, except an extra strength tylenol now and then (even that makes me very sleepy) Never could figure out why a healthy person would want to take medication for each and every little ache and pain

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,728,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Since marijuana = cannabis:

Genesis 1:11 "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so."
Genesis 3:18 "... thou shalt eat the herb of the field."
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith."[1]
Psalms 104:14 "He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man."
According to Rastafarian and other scholars, the etymology of the word "cannabis" and similar terms in all the languages of the Near East may be traced to the Hebrew qaneh bosm קנה-בשם that is one of the herbs God commands Moses to include in his preparation of sacred anointing perfume in Exodus 30:23; the Hebrew term also appears in Isaiah 43:24; Jeremiah 6:20; Ezekiel 27:19; and Song of Songs 4:14. Deuterocanonical and canonical references to the patriarchs Adam, Noah, Abraham and Moses "burning incense before the Lord"
How do I say this....

By asking where it mentioned marijuana in the Bible, I wasn't trying to infer that it wasn't created by God. I was asking where it specifically mentions it as a plant which people smoke. But thanks for the info.

Quote:
I'm actually surprised no one thought that God made the marijuana plant for a purpose.....
I believe ALL things were made for a purpose. I just think we've used them for the wrong purposes.

Quote:

Funny you should mention biting your lip while you're numbed up from Novacaine. Years ago, when my brother had some dental work done, his whole jaw and chin were numb from the Novacaine and he somehow felt he had an itch on his chin. In trying to scratch it, the itch didn't go away, nor did he feel how hard he was scratching. He ended up scratching so deeply that he tore away some of the skin and had a big raw patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I agree Irish and Troop..I very seldom take anything for pain, except an extra strength tylenol now and then (even that makes me very sleepy) Never could figure out why a healthy person would want to take medication for each and every little ache and pain
I actually don't like taking medication if I don't have to - regardless of what its stated purpose is. I try to avoid popping painkillers if I can, but sometimes I get such a nagging ache that I want some relief from it. But if it's minor annoyance, I try to deal with it.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM

7,462 posts, read 6,952,160 times
Moderator cut: Hi everyone! We have managed to veer waaaaay off topic. While I don't think we necessarily want to be "relocated" to "Health and Wellness," I do feel we need to resume getting back ON topic??? Thanks, June

Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,728,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Moderator cut: Hi everyone! We have managed to veer waaaaay off topic. While I don't think we necessarily want to be "relocated" to "Health and Wellness," I do feel we need to resume getting back ON topic??? Thanks, June
I thought we were on topic, my dear.

See.......this is the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I a evengelical christian, not a whako though, I find nothing wrong with enjoying the herb that god put on earth. It says nothing in the bible about it. What do you think?

Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM

12,382 posts, read 14,676,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I a evengelical christian, not a whako though, I find nothing wrong with enjoying the herb that god put on earth. It says nothing in the bible about it. What do you think?
This is the op which I had to go back several pages to find..I believe that most things God God created were definitely for the benefit for man to use. Most of our cancer drugs come from the rain forest and many other drugs come from a variety of vegetation. Marijuana was used in the past to relieve pain and is still the pain reliever choice of some people..IMO though the mere idea of taking the carcinigens from the smoke into your lungs defeats the action of pain relief..Maybe God gave us that plant to be used as a topical pain reliever. Sometimes we just have to wait on research to figure out the benefits and ways to use all the things God has given us

Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,883,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO though the mere idea of taking the carcinigens from the smoke into your lungs defeats the action of pain relief..
Well, the pain relief is still there despite the carcinogens.
I suppose you are saying that the pain relief is not WORTH the intake of carcinogens.
But you cannot know that until you use marijuana for pain relief yourself.
Now a question: taking the THC pill (same effect - no smoke) is OK with you?

Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Yes, I do get relief from it, and without the nasty side-effects of other Rx drugs (I'm allergic to aspirin, and had a horrible reaction to a few others like vioxx). To clear up your confusion, I have severe osteoarthritis in my feet, knees, hips, shoulders, and probably a few other places... I was recommended surgery on the knees last year, but I'm trying to put it off as long as possible. So we're not just talking about a headache, but rather a continuous pain in most of my joints - which only an arthritis sufferer can really relate to. In addition, I have a few other medical problems that are helped by the marijuana, but I'd rather not go into them here.

As for pain relief, I see no reason to be "tough" when there's something fairly harmless that can help... why suck it up? I do have a HIGH tolerance to pain, and can suffer through just about anything! For example, I walked to work & stayed for 6 hours, minutes after breaking a bone in my foot. I also have - ummmm - 14? tattoos and 10 piercings, and was a competitive figure skater (the main cause of my arthritis), so obviously I'm not a baby. Anyway, I don't need to justify my use of this prescription, since I'm the one who has to deal with it on a daily basis. And to keep it on topic, I think God would approve of using his herbs to feel relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality