Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM

38 posts, read 50,320 times

Advertisements

Everyone must be cognizant of the Aware Study at various hospitals around the world. Google Dr Sam Parnia or Aware Study to find out more about Near Death Experiences. Dr Parnia has written a book, just published, which describes the experiences of rescuscitated patients who were clinically dead. Much more informative than books written by people with a religious bias. It appears, at least tentatively, that consciousness does continue for a time at least after the brain has stopped functioning and the patient flat lined. No cerebral, cortex, or cardiac functions. I found the research very interesting, and not from a religious perspective. Also check out book by Dr Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon who had an NDE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLover View Post
Everyone must be cognizant of the Aware Study at various hospitals around the world. Google Dr Sam Parnia or Aware Study to find out more about Near Death Experiences. Dr Parnia has written a book, just published, which describes the experiences of rescuscitated patients who were clinically dead. Much more informative than books written by people with a religious bias. It appears, at least tentatively, that consciousness does continue for a time at least after the brain has stopped functioning and the patient flat lined. No cerebral, cortex, or cardiac functions. I found the research very interesting, and not from a religious perspective. Also check out book by Dr Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon who had an NDE.
How did they measure cerebral and cortex function?

Quote:
At this time, they anticipate being able to release the preliminary results obtained during the first five years of the study in September or October 2013 to mark the fifth anniversary of the launch of the study. ~ AWARE
Can't wait.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
When I was 18, I was in a car accident and dying. All of a sudden all of my pain disappeared. I was floating slowly and so blissfully downward. [Years later, Leo Busgalia would write a children's book about death: Freddy, The Falling Leaf. :-) ] Then suddenly I was 'back'. That's all there was to it. But the experience changed my life, and I lost my fear of death.

Was it 'God'? Brain chemicals? I have no idea, and I don't care. I just know that there's nothing to fear re dying and death.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post

Instead. I experienced being locked up inside a German looking house. And there was an old lady in the house. And she was planning to cook me for dinner.
When you said 'What big eyes you have', did she say.. 'All the better to see you with my dear'.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
An interesting narrative on the out-of-the-body experience is from Robert Monroe.
(not filtered through a religious frame of reference)

Robert Monroe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to his own account, while experimenting with sleep-learning in 1958 Monroe experienced an unusual phenomenon, which he described as sensations of paralysis and vibration accompanied by a bright light that appeared to be shining on him from a shallow angle. Monroe went on to say that this occurred another nine times over the next six weeks, culminating in his first out-of-body experience. Monroe recorded his account in his 1971 book Journeys Out Of The Body and went on to become a prominent researcher in the field of human consciousness. Monroe later authored two more books, Far Journeys (1985) and Ultimate Journey (1994).

Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
This is a very interesting subject and I certainly welcome proper research into it rather than just publishing the experiences and jumping to conclusions about what they signify. If there is a soul that survives after death and an afterlife -place where we all go, I want to know and I certainly have no objection to it. Just as I have no objection to a planned origination of the first cell or a cosmic mind that made and runs the universe. None of that does a thing to prove what sort of entity might be involved, let alone justifying any particular religion. And of course there is really no reason why OOB's NDE's a Soul or an afterlife requires that any godlike entity should be involved.

That is why I can say that my waiting for research to produce results, refusal to accept religion -primed claims as a true explanation and reluctance to accept anecdotes at face value is not prompted by a fear that it will Prove religion (let alone any particular one) but by the principle that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and the plural of anecdote is not data.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
When you said 'What big eyes you have', did she say.. 'All the better to see you with my dear'.
You might be mixing up two different fairy tales.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
You might be mixing up two different fairy tales.
Probably! All due to my deprived childhood no doubt. My parents wouldn't read me a bedtime story.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 57,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Probably! All due to my deprived childhood no doubt. My parents wouldn't read me a bedtime story.
Now you are finally starting to make sense;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality