Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
I think someone is "REACHING" on that one. A species of man roamed the earth for roughly 135,000 years, then vanishes in a matter of 5,000 years because of large eyes? Those eyes were not a liability during that first 135,000 years?

Then, Cro-magnon comes along about 40,000 BC, and only sticks around for 30,000 years, in spite of having smaller eyes, and a much larger brain cavity? What gave rise to the demise of Cro-magnon? The last one known was around 10,000 BC, and the first of our own species comes along around 6,000 BC. There are some 4,000 years that are unaccounted for, and during that 4,000 years, our brain cavity shrunk down even smaller than Neanderthal. So, if it was brain capacity that was the demise of Neanderthal, why are we here? Why isn't Cro-magnon here instead?

I don't know what kind of creamer this guy has in his coffee every morning, but I believe I'll pass on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would agree with that. I think we make mistakes when we arbitrarily assign the title of "species" to ancient animals or people. I don't believe there were thousands of variants of canines at the time of creation....but now we have a huge variance ....
So you believe in evolution....

Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Neanderthal, it appears, like Homo Erectus, were not adaptable. Not on the scale to which Homo Sapiens have been.
And it is debatable as to how similar Neanderthal and Sapien DNA are, and as to how much the two interacted.

We seem to have a pattern though, Neanderthal was not able to adapt to a changing world as Sapiens. So they went extinct. No evidence at all of a great conflict between the two exists.

Sapiens, well, we are now exploring Mars via remote control and mapping the DNA molecule in detail. Something about the Sapiens' Cro Magnon brain allows for this level of learning and development.
Well, in some of us at least.
Perhaps this is proof that the Neanderthals still live among us!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Neanderthals have never existed. Why people are even having a conservation about it is beyond me. Keep believing that lie. Just like evolution.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I think someone is "REACHING" on that one. A species of man roamed the earth for roughly 135,000 years, then vanishes in a matter of 5,000 years because of large eyes? Those eyes were not a liability during that first 135,000 years?

Then, Cro-magnon comes along about 40,000 BC, and only sticks around for 30,000 years, in spite of having smaller eyes, and a much larger brain cavity? What gave rise to the demise of Cro-magnon? The last one known was around 10,000 BC, and the first of our own species comes along around 6,000 BC. There are some 4,000 years that are unaccounted for, and during that 4,000 years, our brain cavity shrunk down even smaller than Neanderthal. So, if it was brain capacity that was the demise of Neanderthal, why are we here? Why isn't Cro-magnon here instead?

I don't know what kind of creamer this guy has in his coffee every morning, but I believe I'll pass on it.
Dtango pointed out in the post above yours (as did I earlier) that Cro-magnons were not a separate species - they were modern humans.

Neandertals had a slightly larger brain capacity than humans.

I do think the eyes hypothesis is questionable, but something did allow humans to have stronger social structures and trade routes over large distances, while neandertals were known to be homebodies. That something in the brain structure leading to social ties over distances could account for better adaptability to changing climate and prey.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Neanderthals have never existed. Why people are even having a conservation about it is beyond me. Keep believing that lie. Just like evolution.
I wish we did have a conservation of Neanderthals!

Our world could always use a new wonder. (Though they abound for those with awareness and senses intact.)

But I'm pretty sure you meant "conversation."

And how can a truth like evolution be a lie?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Well golly, neanderthals couldn't have existed because as we all know, the Earth is only 6,000 yo!

There's no sense in pointing out the truth to YECs because they simply don't have the ability to evaluate data and use logic. It's like arguing with a stubborn child. They get their beliefs solely from what family, friends, and skilled preachers tell them. Why, if there are millions of fossils in museums around the world (dated by a variety of means to be older than 6000 yo), it must be because Satan planted them there!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't think Neanderthals were more peaceful than humans. Their usual way of hunting was to ambush the larger animals and spear, club, and tear them apart, iirc. We have at least one site where one group of neandertals did that to another group and cannibalized them very thoroughly. http://io9.com/5715409/murder-scene-...s-went-extinct

From what I remember of DNA studies, the evidence is that most crossbreeding was between neandertal men and human women. I'm guessing not consensual, but who knows.

I doubt they saw each other as completely different species, it would have been something like "the skinny people" and "the big ugly tribe".
Among our own species, hunter-gatherers have generally been peaceful. Too busy hunting and gathering to wage war.

Farmers tend to be more or less peaceful for the same reason. Look at the Native Americans that Lewis & Clark met during their explorations. The vast majority were peaceful. Of course there were some warrior clans. Which leads me to my first theorem of human social organization. There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who want to join the gang that plunders, and those who want to join the gang that protects themselves from the plunderers.

Somewhere in the past I recall a documentary that claimed evident that the Neanderthal brain, while larger than ours, was wired differently such that the Neanderthal could not conceptualize as well as the Cro Magnons, therefore could not adapt to changing conditions. How they came to make that claim is beyond me.

There is something else that is bothering me. According to more than one source there was a precipitous decline of humans neighborhood 80,000 years ago and that all of us alive today are the descendants of the surviving population of 5,000-12,000 . Except, that population was the Neanderthal, wasn't it. Cro Magnon did not appear for several more millenia after that. I'll have to do some more reading.

This continues to be a very good thread and I am having a great time reading through it. Thanks to all of you for your posts.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I guess Satan created all those fossils and planted them to deceive us, drive us from God, and lead us into everlasting punishment.

Is Satan allowed to create things?

Hmmmmmm......

PS Which teachings of Jesus would change if there were Neanderthals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality