Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Is killing ever justified?
Yes. Murder? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Probably not a good example for your 'one true morality' theory considering Hitler was a Christian. Whether or not we today would consider Nazism moral, Hilter certainly did, and used the Bible and God to justify his actions. Which by your view, would make Hitler a very moral individual.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Yes. Murder? No.
Then we agree.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Probably not a good example for your 'one true morality' theory considering Hitler was a Christian. Whether or not we today would consider Nazism moral, Hilter certainly did, and used the Bible and God to justify his actions. Which by your view, would make Hitler a very moral individual.
No. He wasn't. That is nonsense.

What teaching of Christianity would you suggest we look to to justify his actions?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
I've often wondered if it is simply an urban myth that much of our (U.S.A.) basic health sciences are based upon Nazi research?!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

What teaching of Christianity would you suggest we look to to justify his actions?
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922

Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922
Sounds eerily and sadly, like many of the "explanations" I've heard from Fundamentalists to "justify" their insane beliefs.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
That was justice being handed down for crimes committed.
justice is what Hitler thought he was delivering.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:

I don't have to justify his actions. Hitler had to, and he felt the Bible and belief in the lord was his justification.

That's (one of the) problem(s) with your belief that the only true moral code is with God and not man. You believe that if man follows his own conscience, he cannot truly claim to be moral because everyone will have a different opinion on what 'moral' means.

If we put morality on God's shoulders to carry for us and take no responsibility ourselves for deciding right from wrong, this issue does not disappear. Every person who reads the Bible will have a different opinion of what God meant when he said x,y, or z. This is why Christianity has so many different sects.

By your beliefs, Hitler was more moral in his attempt at genocide than an atheist who went to war to stop him. Even if you disagree with his reading of the Bible, Hitler looked to God to determine his moral code. He believed passionately that his acts where in service to the Lord. The atheist, however, was acting from his conscience, which to you is immoral because man cannot determine morality.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
So morality is not based on society? How do we determine what is right and wrong?
There has never been a society or group of humans in which some form of immorality (depending on whose definition is in use) hasn't manifested.

In general, people seem to have an innate sense of right and wrong. Some people ignore it; others are apparently born without it (i e. sociopaths and the like, many of whom I've worked with closely.)

There are some societal constructs--some political, others religious, and more--that inculcate their followers with what could be said to be objective immorality...enslavement and genocide, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality