Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
It makes more sense, actually. The Transdimensional Space Apes have the Secret Math and Arcane Technologies to make a universe. What does God have? Nothing. Just "stuff."
Yeah, God cant even make a rock that's too big for him to move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He is eternal. I know that he never had a beginning.
How do you know that?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
No you don't...You don't even know that such a thing exists...You have just been told that it does and you believed it.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Again the cross purposes. Faith is not science. You do not "know". You "believe".

Someone wiser than I once said that science and faith do not intersect. They are parallel systems of belief.

I personally do not find anything in the teachings of Jesus that depends upon the age of the earth, or the process of evolution, for example.

Also, if you believe that God created the world, did God create radioactive decay, which is the basis of science's estimations of the age of the earth (up to 2.5 billion years old) or do you believe that radioactive dating is the creation of Satan made to deceive us? If the latter, how is it that God permits Satan to create things like fossils and radioactive dating and the speed of light and parallax (used for measuring distance of stars from earth) etc.

Long past time for those holding to medieval understandings of God, nature, and the universe to re-evaluate.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
How do you know that?
He told us.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Again the cross purposes. Faith is not science. You do not "know". You "believe".

Someone wiser than I once said that science and faith do not intersect. They are parallel systems of belief.

I personally do not find anything in the teachings of Jesus that depends upon the age of the earth, or the process of evolution, for example.

Also, if you believe that God created the world, did God create radioactive decay, which is the basis of science's estimations of the age of the earth (up to 2.5 billion years old) or do you believe that radioactive dating is the creation of Satan made to deceive us? If the latter, how is it that God permits Satan to create things like fossils and radioactive dating and the speed of light and parallax (used for measuring distance of stars from earth) etc.

Long past time for those holding to medieval understandings of God, nature, and the universe to re-evaluate.

Just my humble opinion.
What assumptions are you making in regards to the beginning of the universe? I'm guessing your "knowledge" of it is not without faith.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Are you making ANY assumptions with that theory?
In the post you quoted I was not making any assumptions but instead I was highlighting yours.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
What assumptions are you making in regards to the beginning of the universe? I'm guessing your "knowledge" of it is not without faith.
In other words, you are incapable of answering simple questions, but prefer to deflect.

You answer my questions first. Then I will answer yours.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Know what atheists and fundamentalists have in common?
Know what atheist and fundies have in common? They are both paedophiles. Why? Because if I get the set of all atheist... and the set of all theists.... both contain paedophiles.

That is essentially the same point you just made. If you start a point with "Know what atheists and fundamentalists have in common?" you could follow it with literally anything and it will probably be true for no other reason than some subset of both fit your criteria. Yes both groups have people who trawl and troll the pages of Biblical text for quotes to beat each other over the head with. Atheist Dan Barker does it well as he has a massive series of citations where the bible contradicts itself directly. You can hear all of these in his book or you can hear a sub section of them by you tubing his debate against the unfortunately named Kyle Butt.

Neither I nor the person you were quoting when making the above "point".... nor many atheists I have met or mixed with fit your description however. The bible is worth reading, yes. But we do not cite or quote passages of it in our argument against god... for the simple reason there is no evidence IN the bible for god. The entire text is predicated on the starting assumption there is a god. An assumption we simply do not share.

There simply is no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning on offer to substantiate the claim that a god exists. I require no biblical citations, or phrases, to point out that simple and inconvenient fact.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
He told us.
He never told me
He never even told me he's a he
It never even told me it exists

How did it tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality