Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,975,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I role my eyes at questions like this.

Of course there can be! I live this peace everyday in my work life, in my friendships, and in my romance life! Love and tolerance are powerful forces that are so important for us to incorporate into our daily lives and I feel that as soon as we get out of our own egos and let go of this need to always be right and recognized all the time we can learn to live in harmony.
I feel the same way. I'm not personally at war with anyone for their beliefs. Nearly everyone around me has different beliefs than I do and it's never been a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM

694 posts, read 744,933 times
I believe the people above mean throughout the world, but I know what you mean.

Charles Sands

Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,995,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I feel the same way. I'm not personally at war with anyone for their beliefs. Nearly everyone around me has different beliefs than I do and it's never been a problem.
Yeah, I think the only people who really have an issue with it are those who feel the need to impose their views or who feel threatened. But other than that...*shrugs*

Especially in the U.S in places like CA or the east coast like NY, MD, VA, etc. I can't see why that would be such an issue.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
J.R

2 posts, read 1,614 times
I'm sorry that people that are christians do not always act very christian and that anyone who is not christian might be made to feel they are less valued. They are not less valued. In fact we are told to shun sin, not people. You can't save people by degrading them, bible thumping them or coercing them to feel they have to believe.

Believers and non believers will never get along in my opinion for the fact that Rev 6 explains men will kill men and it will continue to happen all the way to the end. Additionally, for every reason a non believer has to not believe, I'm sure I have 2 reasons why they should. The truth cannot be made real to them until they have a personal experience in their life that validates it no matter what I say, and I honestly believe that. I've been into Wicca, Satanism, levitation, seances, and other various things through out my life. I can say now that it was poison. I'm Christian now. Before that I was able to make objects levitate, spoke to spirits and had them in and out of my home and follow me from job to job. There is a world out there people can't see therefore it 'doesn't exist'. That is the biggest lie ever told. I chose my religion then based on what I could see and what gave results because I couldn't bring myself to believe in something that required believing without an in your face type of proof.

No one is less than human or worthy of love because they don't believe what I believe. It's a shame and against the Bible.
Try to find out why you don't believe. It's worth looking into for yourself even if you never talk to anyone else about it.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,845,637 times
Will there ever be peace between the believers and non-believers?

Not as long as believers keep insisting that they are right, everyone else is wrong and we should all think like them....or else!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,313,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
OK. If a handful of "believers" attacks someone or some place because of their beliefs, then all are guilty of this? By treating non-believers unfairly do you mean we should not adhere to our beliefs so everyone can do what they want to do? ...and as far as persecution never happening. The Bible states that during the end times, many Chirstains and Jews will be persecuted, even unto death, for their beliefs. Even Jesus said We will suffer much in His name.

Charles Sands
Oh, is it the end times already? I forgot to set my watch forward to Daylight Savings Endtimes.

On a more serious note, I was just reading a thread where two restaurant owners were saying that atheists have the audacity to want rights. Like they're human or something.
So in light of comments like this, I don't see peace coming anytime soon.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,651,916 times
Here's something to think about. We were not born a Christian,a Jew or a Muslim or any of the other organized religions, we were first born as a human being, we are a member of the human race, all of us and as long as we learn to respect the fact that we are humans and treat one another as humans should, then maybe we can get along. I do not think that a person's religious belief or non belief should ever be a factor in how we treat and respect one another. Religious beliefs are taught to you from childhood and it is only from those teachings that we learn bigotry and disrespect. I do not expect anyone to believe the same as I do, my belief is not for everyone, even among my own people, but that is what makes us who we are. It seems as though too many people put too much emphasis on another person's belief and they will miss out on the benefits of a good friendship and of the opportunity of gaining knowledge. You are born a human being, live and fight for humanity. osay

Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM

7,592 posts, read 6,076,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Will there ever be peace between the believers and non-believers?

Not as long as believers keep insisting that they are right, everyone else is wrong and we should all think like them....or else!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfRkcJ0BLS0

Like one of the comment says, this is more Civilised than most internet thological/antitheological arguments

Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,549,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
To me, the believers are a scary people. History has shown me that no matter how much I try to be a good person, I am always wrong, as long as I do not worship anything.

...And because I am wrong, there are people who think I am less human and there are people who will take a life of a non-believer because of what they believe.

...I never understood the point of this...
Strctly sticking to the OP title, there can never be peace between both groups because both has their extemists. Extremist tend to be close minded and with tunnel vision. They also tend to think in terms of my way or the highway. Again, this applies to extremists of both sides of the issue. Take care.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,452,869 times
Let's get something straight... There isn't really a "war" between believers and non-believers in the first place. Yes. There are differences of opinion - strong ones at times. But, it's not like once I pass a certain checkpoint, I have to pull over to the side of the road, throw my rosary beads on the rearview mirror, put my Jesus fish magnet on the back of my car and toss a Bible in the front seat. It's not like I have to hide all that stuff on my way back home either.

I don't remember anyone being "drafted" by the Secular Coalition of America's Freedom Fighters to engage in battle against the Christian Crusade Brigade. I've never heard of bombs being dropped on Christian villages by the Secular Air Force or having insurrections silenced by a platoon of Christian combatants.

Anyone who has had any sort of experience with war probably realizes the relentless absurdity of calling everything we disagree with in this country a "war." There is no "war" between the Red Sox and Yankees - only a rivalry. There is no "war on drugs," only large expenditures of law enforcement to contain and prevent chemicals from getting into people's hands. There is no "war" between Christians and Atheists - only disagreements on a wide variety of positions.

Let's stop with the euphemisms and the dramatic language to make a situation seem more serious than it is. No one is strapping a bomb to their chest to prove their religious point... Well... OK... You got me there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality