Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Wha?
We have a book of fiction that we follow?
We have groups and make people pay to belong?
We spread hatred and try to control women?

Nope, nothing like religion at all.
Sure it is. They have a creed, a crisis, assemblies, a pulpit, evangelism (right here on this board), rejoicing over converts, zeal for the cause, an "us against them" mentality....

Is atheism a religion? | Religion and followers of atheism | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sure it is. They have a creed, a crisis, assemblies, a pulpit, evangelism (right here on this board), rejoicing over converts, zeal for the cause, an "us against them" mentality....

Is atheism a religion? | Religion and followers of atheism | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
I agree a group of Atheists can act like a group of people rallying against a common goal. But, the definition of Religion involve worship of the super natural/ super human controlling power, God or Gods. A superman if you will. Don't confuse, as the writer of the article did IMO, that a group who share philosophies or perspectives and value human beings collectively are acting religiously. Devotion is not a requirement.

I think, as your article suggests to me(written by the religious), it's hard for someone who is religious to accept we aren't a religion. They try and find common ground with us, which there is common ground but that's just because we are all human. It has nothing to do with God. IMO.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Ya know, Poppy...I'm pretty much immune to being offended myself...and very little bothers me...except real harm to innocents.
When you do what I do...you are regularly reviled (even threatened) in every way you can imagine. But I knew that going in 28 yrs ago...so I accept it.

As respects the bolded above. I have posted on this scores of times.
The fact of the matter is...the Christians exist in such numbers that they dominate and control. That is just the facts of the matter...any ones opinion about it aside.
I have also noted that for any entity to go against an opposing force that is so overwhelmingly powerful that there is almost no chance of prevailing is just plain foolish. As a former military tactics man...I look at things like this from that standpoint. I make the "spitting into a strong wind" and "throwing punches at an F-5 hurricane" analogies.
At the same time I have admiration for some of the Atheist efforts (a "Rosa Parks" kinda admiration)...I see it as a "fools rush in, where hero's fear to tread" type of effort. I warn them as to how they are wasting the precious minutes and hours of their lives...that they will never get back...spending time putting up thousands of posts to debate Fundie Dogma Adherent strangers. That they are essentially wasting their time. Things may change in the distant future...though I doubt it. It is what it is...and IMO a recognition of reality should dictate any efforts.
Well, I see your points. I do, but, you know I am part of the special services unit of atheism and I also volunteer in the Gay Rights Red Cross from time to time. LOL

It's in me blood to be a fool. I'll press on regardless of time waisted. I have my one piece black rubber debate suit and everything, don't want it to go to waist. Besides I love the emoticons and where else can I use them if not for cd.

When all said and done Goldie Rule, I thoroughly enjoyed conversing with you. I learned a few things. I hope we carry on again sometimes and that rep you got today, that was me!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
No...no specific books...but plenty of writings by proponents of the concept.

Yes...there are Atheist groups...Some contributors to this board have even helped to found them, and they are national in their scope. I'm sure they get contributions to fund operations from the members and others.

They spread a form of hatred...toward the Fundamental adherents of religious dogma. Men or women. They seek to control what the religious are allowed to do to promote their religion and its ideas and concepts.

You don't get on web forums and spent major portions of your time posting thousands upon thousands of posts touting the virtues of something...form organized groups to promote it...and rally against opposing views...if it is not a "religion" to you. Within the broad definition of "religion", of course.
You do know under these statements of yours every group that promotes it's virtues would be considered a religion. Right?

So, Health Access, all of these for example are religions? Like the Atheist groups?

We seek to control of our rights as humans, like every other group and if the religious try to block it we spread a hate for that, not them. Religion is personal, I think I'll hang a sign which says so, next to the Christian sign, Christians will say it's not personal but a rule we should all be made to follow but, but, that doesn't make mine a religious poster just because I hung it up next to theirs.

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-21-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, I see your points. I do, but, you know I am part of the special services unit of atheism and I also volunteer in the Gay Rights Red Cross from time to time. LOL

It's in me blood to be a fool. I'll press on regardless of time waisted. I have my one piece black rubber debate suit and everything, don't want it to go to waist. Besides I love the emoticons and where else can I use them if not for cd.

When all said and done Goldie Rule, I thoroughly enjoyed conversing with you. I learned a few things. I hope we carry on again sometimes and that rep you got today, that was me!
Well, I'll be!
When I see a girl walk out in a black rubber suit...the next thing I usually ask is what music is she gonna have the DJ play to go with that outfit. LOL!

I loved the exchange Poppy...a lot. Your sense of humor is just awesome...you cracked me up! I love to laugh...one of the best things in life.
Always stay true to your views...and give them your support. I have great respect for that...no matter the belief or non-belief.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You do know under these statements of yours every group that promotes it's virtues would be considered a religion. Right?

So, Health Access, all of these for example are religions? Like the Atheist groups?

We seek to control of our rights as humans, like every other group and if the religious try to block it we spread a hate for that, not them. Religion is personal, I think I'll hang a sign which says so, next to the Christian sign, Christians will say it's not personal but a rule we should all be made to follow but, but, that doesn't make mine a religious poster just because I hung it up next to theirs.
Yes...I know that.

I've had many exchanges on this Poppy, here is an excerpt: http://www.city-data.com/forum/26866138-post162.html

See...I am going by the full dictionary definition of "religion".
Of course...it served my purpose to use it to crank with. I just do it so I can pin the "religion" label on them...and have the info to back my argument.
It's not like I don't get the point of the rebuttals to it...I'm hip to the common context of the use of "religion".
But, com'on Poppy!...do you really expect a wiseguy like me to resist using something like that when the rare opportunity arises?!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yes...I know that.

I've had many exchanges on this Poppy, here is an excerpt: http://www.city-data.com/forum/26866138-post162.html

See...I am going by the full dictionary definition of "religion".
Of course...it served my purpose to use it to crank with. I just do it so I can pin the "religion" label on them...and have the info to back my argument.
It's not like I don't get the point of the rebuttals to it...I'm hip to the common context of the use of "religion".
But, com'on Poppy!...do you really expect a wiseguy like me to resist using something like that when the rare opportunity arises?!
I'm glad you don't resist Goldie Rule! Well, the music is on and the black suit is poppin! Here I go........I'm on the hunt for a mystical superhulk willing to represent on the atheist front, he'll have to be of the less needy variety seeing we won't be paying him any attention. When I find him/her or a mix, I will announce with much excitement "we are now, officially, a religion" until then I'll have to find my excitement elsewhere............like on here for example, with my favorite weirdos.

By your definition, yes, I'm definitely religious in my convictions, just not religiously ruled by them. I cannot be tied down, unless of course I've had a few. lol

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
I agree a group of Atheists can act like a group of people rallying against a common goal. But, the definition of Religion involve worship of the super natural/ super human controlling power, God or Gods. A superman if you will. Don't confuse, as the writer of the article did IMO, that a group who share philosophies or perspectives and value human beings collectively are acting religiously. Devotion is not a requirement.

I think, as your article suggests to me(written by the religious), it's hard for someone who is religious to accept we aren't a religion. They try and find common ground with us, which there is common ground but that's just because we are all human. It has nothing to do with God. IMO.
The poster that I responded to said it was "nothing like" a religion. I'm not saying it IS a religion...as much as it's LIKE one.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The poster that I responded to said it was "nothing like" a religion. I'm not saying it IS a religion...as much as it's LIKE one.
According to your apologetic web site's definition of religion, then my bowling team is a religion, and you know as well as I do that is nonsense.

Why don't you tell us in your own words why you think not believing in god is LIKE a religion?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you don't resist Goldie Rule! Well, the music is on and the black suit is poppin! Here I go........I'm on the hunt for a mystical superhulk willing to represent on the atheist front, he'll have to be of the less needy variety seeing we won't be paying him any attention. When I find him/her or a mix, I will announce with much excitement "we are now, officially, a religion" until then I'll have to find my excitement elsewhere............like on here for example, with my favorite weirdos.

By your definition, yes, I'm definitely religious in my convictions, just not religiously ruled by them. I cannot be tied down, unless of course I've had a few. lol
Oh, man! I love it!
That's it! This is too much to take. Take off the suit and pack it...I'm restocking my bar...and tearing the silk border off my blanket.
I'll DM you in a few to find out what airport to book the ticket from. LOL!

You stick by those convictions Poppy. And stand your ground. Everyone is entitled to live their life according to their belief or non-belief...as long as no one is being harmed (being "bothered" is not harm).

This makes me wonder even more...why would anyone want the Atheists to leave this board? They add the fun, wit, and spice to these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality