Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite tv shows ever happened to quote the Tao Te Ching often. It's called Kung Fu, and it's awesome. This quote seems to be based on TTC Chapter 11:

The Tao of Kung Fu #20 - "Be nothing and become everything." - YouTube

Chapter 11:

We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the center hole
that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space
that makes it livable.

We work with being,
but non-being is what we use.
-----------------------------------

To me it says a lot about dropping ego to open up to compassion for others, and I love how cheesy the show is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Another one about a peaceful heart, seeking not to fight.

The Tao of Kung Fu # 30 - "Peace lies in the man who walks the Path." - YouTube

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

I think I'm just going to keep posting to this myself.

Here's a great story from NPR; it's about a man who gave up possessions, self-interest, and striving to attain things for himself. He was a homeless man in my hometown of Phoenix(being homeless in the summer in PHX is rough), who, after a life as a marine and engineer, gave everything up to live out of his backpack, sleep on the ground behind a senior center, and all the while he was trading stock from pay phones. He amassed millions in the bank and when he died he left it all to other people, charities, and gave NPR $400,000.

He was an atheist and seemed to realize, what the buddhists sometimes call, his buddha nature. A stronger man than I.

Homeless Man Leaves Behind Surprise: $4 Million : NPR

Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Another one about a peaceful heart, seeking not to fight.

The Tao of Kung Fu # 30 - "Peace lies in the man who walks the Path." - YouTube
I remember this show from when I was a kid. I was cheesy and at the time I just tuned it out (literally and figuratively) as I had no reference point for it other than that it was probably about some false religion (I was Christian in those days). I would probably enjoy watching it again today, if I had more time for such things.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I remember this show from when I was a kid. I was cheesy and at the time I just tuned it out (literally and figuratively) as I had no reference point for it other than that it was probably about some false religion (I was Christian in those days). I would probably enjoy watching it again today, if I had more time for such things.
If you have time, search The Tao of Kung Fu on Youtube. Some guy compiled 30 short clips of some of the best Taoist/Buddhist dialogue and teachings from the show. It's usually his flashbacks to his days when he was a temple monk because some situation in the Old West, the setting for the show, reminds him of some teaching. It's very, very cheesy, but I like it. It's funny, I remember turning it off when I was kid too, now I love it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Don't worry everybody, I'll keep this going.

Great one from old wacky Alan Watts. The Zen Woodcutter.
( Mild cartoon blood)
How a woodcutter attains Zen - YouTube

Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Every day in every situation, face it and choose...

The Tao of Kung Fu #27 - "Who can defeat himself?" - YouTube

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
If you have time, search The Tao of Kung Fu on Youtube. Some guy compiled 30 short clips of some of the best Taoist/Buddhist dialogue and teachings from the show. It's usually his flashbacks to his days when he was a temple monk because some situation in the Old West, the setting for the show, reminds him of some teaching. It's very, very cheesy, but I like it. It's funny, I remember turning it off when I was kid too, now I love it.
This is a cool thread- I love that show lol
I was so into the depth of it even as a kid....plus it had some great action scenes when he had to fight.
I also had a major crush on David Carradine
I don't have the time tonight to post much but here's one, I'll be back w/ more soon

The Beginning of Wisdom - YouTube

Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
I think I'm just going to keep posting to this myself.
LOL. I love your perseverance Cacto.
Just to let you know this series was hugely, hugely popular in the UK at the time too. Myself and my brother watched it when we were quite small kids so it must have been quite innocent family viewing I guess (you know we are all giving our ages away here?)

Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
LOL. I love your perseverance Cacto.
Just to let you know this series was hugely, hugely popular in the UK at the time too. Myself and my brother watched it when we were quite small kids so it must have been quite innocent family viewing I guess (you know we are all giving our ages away here?)
That's funny but true. No one seems to know the show unless they're my age or older. I've realized I've become that guy that misses the stuff from the old days and can't stand a lot of new things, the kind of guy I loved to make fun of in my teens and twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality