Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just checking...because you've gotten quite upset with me in the past when I directed my questioning on your religion.
Then maybe you should ask yourself why. I seldom get upset with people for disagreeing with my religious beliefs. What does upset me is when the conversation goes something like this...

Questioning poster: You (i.e. Mormons) believe [such and such].
Me: No, that's not what we believe. We believe [such and such] instead. I can understand the misunderstanding, but allow me to clarify; (offers further explanation).
Questioning poster: You're wrong. You do believe [such and such]. [So and so] said it. I read it on [such and such] website.
Me: That website isn't accurately explaining our doctrine. It's wrong when it says [such and such]. A better explanation would be [such and such].
Questioning poster: Nope. You're wrong. You believe [such and such] and that just is incompatible with Christian doctrine.
Me: If we really believed what you claim we believe, I believe it would indeed be incompatible with Christian doctrine. But we don't. As I've explained twice already, we believe [such and such].
Questioning poster: No you don't. You apparently have no idea what you really believe.

That kind of conversation does upset me. It upsets me more the second time I have the same conversation with the same poster. It upsets me even more the third time, and even more the fourth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Absolutely brilliant explanation Katzpur. I have had.many conversations like this myself and I'm an atheist! People who seem convinced they have a better idea about what is going on in your head than you do. People who put words in your mouth that have absolutely nothing to do with what you have said or what you believe. Absolutely classic. You could apply this to many other parts of the C-D forums too.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Then maybe you should ask yourself why. I seldom get upset with people for disagreeing with my religious beliefs. What does upset me is when the conversation goes something like this...

Me: No, that's not what we believe. We believe [such and such] instead. I can understand the misunderstanding, but allow me to clarify; (offers further explanation).
Questioning poster: You're wrong. You do believe [such and such]. [So and so] said it. I read it on [such and such] website.
Me: That website isn't accurately explaining our doctrine. It's wrong when it says [such and such]. A better explanation would be [such and such].
Questioning poster: Nope. You're wrong. You believe [such and such] and that just is incompatible with Christian doctrine.
Me: If we really believed what you claim we believe, I believe it would indeed be incompatible with Christian doctrine. But we don't. As I've explained twice already, we believe [such and such].
Questioning poster: No you don't. You apparently have no idea what you really believe.

That kind of conversation does upset me. It upsets me more the second time I have the same conversation with the same poster. It upsets me even more the third time, and even more the fourth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Absolutely brilliant explanation Katzpur. I have had.many conversations like this myself and I'm an atheist! People who seem convinced they have a better idea about what is going on in your head than you do. People who put words in your mouth that have absolutely nothing to do with what you have said or what you believe. Absolutely classic. You could apply this to many other parts of the C-D forums too.
Very good illustration. Something we should all look at and do our best to avoid doing such.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:

BINGO - post of the day my friend

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times
Quote:
Is it everyone believing the same thing? Or is it being able to disagree? I'm willing to be tolerant of others' opinions on here....are you willing to tolerate mine?

tol·er·ance [tol-er-uhns]
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

Since tolerance is a noun with the verb tolerate as its root, it would be helpful to look at th definition of tolerate.

1allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference:
A regime unwilling to tolerate dissent
accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance:
How was it that she could tolerate such noise? (Oxford English Dictionary)

So in order to tolerate something, one must disagree with that thing, dislike it or find it unpleasant. One may tolerate something without respecting that thing. Tolerance has taken on a connotation of harmony, but disharmony is actually a prerequisite for tolerance. Another definition of tolerate that I think summed it up was "to put up with."

Tolerance is a straightforward and simple concept; when we are tolerant we put up with someone or something we either do not like, do not agree with, or both.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Tolerance is a straightforward and simple concept; when we are tolerant we put up with someone or something we either do not like, do not agree with, or both.
Or as my dad used to put it, "It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable."

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:

Considering I've been a part of some discussions where you've explained it three or four times, I'd say the level of tolerance you display, before your pressure regulator valve kicks in, is impressively high.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are many actions and behaviours that should not be tolerated.
I so agree with this.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:

So you think it's upsetting to be told what you believe despite telling the other repeatedly that they don't know your religion? Welcome to my world. Atheists on this board are doing that nonstop to Christians. At least when I've had the arguments with you I've actually based my statements off of teachings of your actual church's leaders.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
So you think it's upsetting to be told what you believe despite telling the other repeatedly that they don't know your religion? Welcome to my world. Atheists on this board are doing that nonstop to Christians. At least when I've had the arguments with you I've actually based my statements off of teachings of your actual church's leaders.
You know Vizio, your complaints would mostly go away if you didn't always claim your beliefs were facts....Certainly tolerance for your posts would rise quite a bit as it would show honesty on your part. Many of us here have little tolerance for dishonesty, or perhaps that is just one of my pet peeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality