Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you can't remember anything from that period, how can you say with any degree of certainty that you didn't experience anything during that period? You experienced birth, and I can safely say that it was a relatively traumatic event in your life; yet you remember absolutely nothing about it.
He also experienced being a single celled organism. As well as being an egg and a sperm, two separate haploid cells, at the same time. as well as being an oocyte and a spermatocyte... as well as being his Dad's single cell version and his Mom's single cell version... and on and on.

But you are right. Although even if you can remember, you wouldn't absolutely know. For sure if you can't remember, you can assume you forgot (in which case that old you is "asleep/dead" and not really part of you) or you weren't making memories.

I wonder, do you know what YHWH remembers about the Void? What might YHWH remember about what happened before time? Is there no very first thing that YHWH remembers? Than how can YHWH know he was the first? I suppose the Buddhists sort of answer these questions in their theologies and mythologies... But perhaps there is only the animal path (the other one being an illusion of grandeur, and the other 4 being completely hypothetical or metaphorical).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-22-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I am sorry but I do not understand the question or point of the OP. Has some evidence been discovered I have not heard of that suggests Human Consciousness exists before the formation of the brain it resides in and hence there is some kind of "Life before conception" or some such?

If so I would be agog to hear it.
Nothing new that I'm aware of Nozz. Do you think the afterlife for you will be just like your "prior life?"

Btw, those that believe in reincarnation and those that say they have had "prior life" memories and experiences might have some interesting stories to tell.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you mean the 9 months in my mother's womb? Because we didn't exist before conception.
Do you think the "after-life" will be different?

What makes someone "exist?"

Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have no problem accepting that. I'm simply saying that there are reasons (you've provided a very good one) why we can't remember things that actually happened to us before a certain age. I can understand why an atheist would say that nothing did happen to us prior to our birth, that we did not even exist in any form at that time. My own feelings are that we did, and I'm saying that in order for this to be the case, we would not need to be able to have a memory of that existence.
I see. Thanks Kp. It's like saying that you have a hunch that that's what took place. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 03-25-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Do you mean the 9 months in my mother's womb? Because we didn't exist before conception.
So, in other words, the human spirit really isn't eternal?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
So, in other words, the human spirit really isn't eternal?
What's the LDS teaching on that? Does a person's soul/spirit exist before conception?

I'm curious. Again. Eternally. Probably before conception, lol.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Nothing new that I'm aware of Nozz. Do you think the afterlife for you will be just like your "prior life?"
I see no reason to think my perspective on either will be any different... given there is nothing on offer to suggest that I even HAD or will HAVE one at either time. You seem to be harping on about some kind of existence of human consciousness before and after the existence of the brain. If you are... im agog to hear your reasoning on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Btw, those that believe in reincarnation and those that say they have had "prior life" memories and experiences might have some interesting stories to tell.
So do those who claim they were abducted and abused anally by aliens.

Alas having an interesting story to tell... and having a story to tell that engenders even a modicum of credence.... are two entirely different things. I have no doubt people have many colourful and captivating stories to tell us if we stop and listen.

Is there any reason to think any of that brand of story true or credible or real?

No. Not a single one I have heard. Much less from you.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
While at birth a newborn possesses consciousness, it does not as yet developmentally possess self consciousness at that stage. After death, after the light is switched off, begs the question as to whether consciousness can exist after death. It would appear to be difficult to know what exists, "where" one goes, once the "switch" has been turned off, as one would be incapable of possessing self-awareness, self knowledge as to what exists, where one has returned to, much less have the capacity to enter into, or know the experience in lacking the ability of self-consciousness.

How much, if any self consciousness survives once the "switch" is turned off? One would not possess the capacity, the ability to "know" what it experiences without the switch being left on.

Consciousness ceases after death. How, therefore, would the individual be capable of knowing where it is after death?

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
While at birth a newborn possesses consciousness, it does not as yet developmentally possess self consciousness at that stage. After death, after the light is switched off, begs the question as to whether consciousness can exist after death. It would appear to be difficult to know what exists, "where" one goes, once the "switch" has been turned off, as one would be incapable of possessing self-awareness, self knowledge as to what exists, where one has returned to, much less have the capacity to enter into, or know the experience in lacking the ability of self-consciousness.
How much, if any self consciousness survives once the "switch" is turned off? One would not possess the capacity, the ability to "know" what it experiences without the switch being left of.
Consciousness ceases after death. How, therefore, would the individual be capable of knowing where it is after death?
The production of consciousness ceases after death . . . as does our ability to "experience it" (by playback) here at this level of being. But what has already been produced is in a field form of energy (a separate level of being) from this physical one. We have no direct way to know what that level of being entails . . . but since a sense of Self is integral to what is produced (as we experience it) . . . it is hard to imagine why or how that would cease to be true.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default No oggah-da-boogadah here please!

Quote:
So you say, Vizio. But then you'll claim, absolutely, that post-death such consciousness does exist, so we can spiritually and physically climb up into that handy folding chair that God has set out for us?

One wonders, in exactly what useful and recallable form, such a stream of conscious memories or physicalities would take.

But then... if such consciousness is in any way measurable, it would have been measured by now, presumably surrounding the recently deceased person's humble and now rapidly cooling physical form.

And yet, all sorts of galvanometers, EMF readers of fantastic sensitivity, X-, gamma, beta, or "misunderstandia"- Rays, or any other form of directed beams or bundles of energy, "transient flutterations" as part of some claimed aura or field that purportedly surrounds a being...

...all immeasurable to date. And yet we have the absolute believers...

So... if it's not in any way measurable or unable to react with our existant status as purely physical persons, then it's also all speculative, do you not agree, Mystic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality