U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2008, 11:36 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,612 posts, read 3,370,648 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe not you, Mike, but most people are sheeple and younger minds tend to follow the crowd.
ha! i have a new vocabulary word. thanks.

also, neb, i doubt that anyone was really taking notes when he didn't join in the recitation. i have never been taken aside and lectured for my lack of singing and praising when i have gone to other religious services. and i have certainly never looked down on someone for not joining in with my own services. people have different ways of paying respects. nothing wrong with that.

no, i don't think prayer should be instituted in school. but if people want to introduce a moment of silence, have at it. i don't think it needs to be a reason for offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
 
Location: southern california
49,305 posts, read 45,862,394 times
Reputation: 40391
IMHO prayer meditation moment of silence thinking of what we are doing and about to do, getting centered is common to many cultures esp asian, this falls way short of holy rolling. i would be far more concerned about the gang banging in our schools. but thank you young lady, the young lady in a way is helping to hasten the demise of a highly disfunctional and unsafe environment, called the public school system. voucher system sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,640 posts, read 14,337,212 times
Reputation: 11080
Have at it at home.
Any law that's been introduced discusses prayer.

A student can rush to class and have their moment before the bell, on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 AM
 
571 posts, read 535,806 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
IMHO prayer meditation moment of silence thinking of what we are doing and about to do, getting centered is common to many cultures esp asian, this falls way short of holy rolling. i would be far more concerned about the gang banging in our schools. but thank you young lady, the young lady in a way is helping to hasten the demise of a highly disfunctional and unsafe environment, called the public school system. voucher system sooner the better.
Huge difference between moment of silence to god and a moment to reflect.

If you want to reflect well, you can do that every morning you can do that before even durning class you dont even have to have quite to reflect. and i agree everyone should reflect but forcing people for a moment of silence to god is the definition of fanatical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
 
415 posts, read 379,340 times
Reputation: 33
What's wrong with this statement?
...the dissentís argument for the original understanding is flawed from the outset by its failure to consider the full range of evidence showing what the Framers believed.

--MCCREARY COUNTY V. AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIESUNION OF KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
 
158 posts, read 322,793 times
Reputation: 82
Default You Want Evidence, Well, Here's For You To Search For Yourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Teaching of atheism, tell me what that looks like! Evolution is a recognized scientific theory, you know, like relativity.



You might want to do a little research, atheists simply donít believe in a god creature. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no dogma, no belief system, we just don't believe in a god thing.
Would you say that there are no christians who believe in evolution? Very curious.



Please tell me where you are getting your information, Iím very confused and canít find any credible scientific evidence to back up your statements.
You want information. Well here's a few sites that contain vast amounts for you to peruse, research, and educate yourself on this and related subjects. There's such a wide range and plethora of knowledge and information to be listed, it would be impossible to give due credit. Not only is Biblical proof presented, but also much secular evidence as well such as historical, legendary, archaeological, and a whole wide panorama of extrabiblical sources from which were and are drawn from.

Ooparts - Ooparts & Ancient High Technology--Evidence of Noah's Flood?

Lambert Dolphin's Library - Lambert Dolphin's Library

Institute For Creation Research - Institute for Creation Research - A Christ-Focused Creation Ministry

Creation Science Evangelism - Creation Science Evangelism - Creation, Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Bible.

Answers In Genesis - Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

These are but a few of the many many sites on this subject that exist. But these sites, especially Ooparts and Lambert Dolphin's Library are chock full of material and links to related subjects.

It's apparant that you are only confused and couldn't find any information on this because you were obviously looking in all the wrong places. You have to think outside the box. There's 2 sides to a coin and obviously you've only looked on one side.

And for the mental midgets out there that want to state such asininities as "why don't we go back to teaching the world is flat or the center of the universe..." Get a clue. Again, more ludacrisity! Many ancient cultures knew in fact the size, shape, and position of Earth in the cosmos. Not everybody believed Earth was flat and was the center of the universe. The Babylonians (Sumerians, Chaldeans, et. al), the Yoruba, even the Greeks more or less, at least some of the educated ones, and not to mention the Phoenicians! The masters of the sea, worldwide travellers, tradesmen, and navigators as they were, there's no doubt that the majority of them knew the shape of the world! The large amounts of evidence from the ancient world proving planetary-wide trade and sailing would also verify this. One doesn't sail over the horizon if they believe that horizon is an edge from which one can fall to their death!

There's evidence of ancient air travel, space travel, atomic power, weapons of mass destruction, etc. The evidence of a younger earth, noahic flood, language confusion, etc. Just because many of you atheists and pagans out there scoff at the Bible in disbelief doesn't hold water. If the bible stated water was wet, you would choose not to believe it simply because it was in the Bible. I hope you enjoy this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM
 
158 posts, read 322,793 times
Reputation: 82
Default Evil Has To Be Held In Check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
IMHO prayer meditation moment of silence thinking of what we are doing and about to do, getting centered is common to many cultures esp asian, this falls way short of holy rolling. i would be far more concerned about the gang banging in our schools. but thank you young lady, the young lady in a way is helping to hasten the demise of a highly disfunctional and unsafe environment, called the public school system. voucher system sooner the better.
There wouldn't be near as much gang banging if prayer was still a part of the schools. Not only prayer, but Bible teachings, public postings of the Ten Commandments, and a general ingraining of God in our schools and in all secular culture would do a great deal to combat the evils our society is plagued with these days. I'm not saying everything would be perfect. Christians are not perfect. That's why Christ died and rose again - so we could have salvation. It was love for us in our fallen state that prompted such loving action on god's part. God allows mankind to make his own choices whether for better or worse. If society decides to kick God out like ours has on the whole, then God in his sovereignty allows this. But He also allows for all the turmoil, evil, and chaos that comes with such action to follow! Our society today verifies the effects of this increasingly Godless society we live in. If evil is not held in check by good, or more accurately, if by our choices, God is not allowed to hold Satan in check, then who will run the show? Evil is running rampant today because as a nation, we have either kicked God to the curb, or allowed Him to be kicked to the curb. Either way, god allows these things, why? Because He's God and can. He allows us freedom of choice. So, we today, are getting what we choose! Child rape and murder, rape and murder in general, gang banging, robberies, domestic violence, greed, rage, hate, etc., etc., are all part of the package and we can say, we're getting what we've asked for! Has murder, child rape, rape, and all the other always plagued mankind? Of course. But in a society that yields itself to God and is under God's protective umbrella, suffers far less from these evils, than a society that removes itself out from underneath that umbrella. Being under God was like the ozone layer. It protects us from much of the harmful cosmic and solar rays. Remove that ozone, and we're cooked! All we today have for the most part is petty human laws with no authority to back them up. If human law is the ultimate in the universe, then no wonder we're in trouble! Laws without God are like atmospheres without ozone! But, I'm sure this will be rejected and scoffed at by the educated idiots, mental midgets, and degree infested dimwits that think their humanistic-atheistic-evolutionistic minds have the answer. Well, our society proves quite the contrary regardless what you say or think!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
 
415 posts, read 379,340 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
There wouldn't be near as much gang banging if prayer was still a part of the schools. Not only prayer, but Bible teachings, public postings of the Ten Commandments, and a general ingraining of God in our schools and in all secular culture would do a great deal to combat the evils our society is plagued with these days.
I love the clever excuses the religious tyrannizers come up with to justify their attacks on the rights of conscience and their wicked trespasses on the jurisdiction of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
 
415 posts, read 379,340 times
Reputation: 33
...religious motives played a very large part in the early establishment of primary schools, and religious textbooks and instruction loomed large in the curriculum. As time went on, however, religious teaching was gradually eliminated from the American public schools. This elimination was brought about not by persons opposed to religion, but by intense sectarian religionists who were afraid of the interpretations that teachers of a different sect might place on biblical matters. One legal basis for the action was found in the American theory of the separation of church and state, since the public schools are state institutions.

--UNIFIED KINDERGARTEN AND FIRST-GRADE TEACHING, By S. C. PARKER AND ALICE TEMPLE University of Chicago, December 1923.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,604 posts, read 17,770,771 times
Reputation: 9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida southerner 3 View Post
You want information. Well here's a few sites that contain vast amounts for you to peruse, research, and educate yourself on this and related subjects. There's such a wide range and plethora of knowledge and information to be listed, it would be impossible to give due credit. Not only is Biblical proof presented, but also much secular evidence as well such as historical, legendary, archaeological, and a whole wide panorama of extrabiblical sources from which were and are drawn from.

Ooparts - Ooparts & Ancient High Technology--Evidence of Noah's Flood?

Lambert Dolphin's Library - Lambert Dolphin's Library

Institute For Creation Research - Institute for Creation Research - A Christ-Focused Creation Ministry

Creation Science Evangelism - Creation Science Evangelism - Creation, Evolution, Dinosaurs, and the Bible.

Answers In Genesis - Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics

These are but a few of the many many sites on this subject that exist. But these sites, especially Ooparts and Lambert Dolphin's Library are chock full of material and links to related subjects.

It's apparant that you are only confused and couldn't find any information on this because you were obviously looking in all the wrong places. You have to think outside the box. There's 2 sides to a coin and obviously you've only looked on one side.

And for the mental midgets out there that want to state such asininities as "why don't we go back to teaching the world is flat or the center of the universe..." Get a clue. Again, more ludacrisity! Many ancient cultures knew in fact the size, shape, and position of Earth in the cosmos. Not everybody believed Earth was flat and was the center of the universe. The Babylonians (Sumerians, Chaldeans, et. al), the Yoruba, even the Greeks more or less, at least some of the educated ones, and not to mention the Phoenicians! The masters of the sea, worldwide travellers, tradesmen, and navigators as they were, there's no doubt that the majority of them knew the shape of the world! The large amounts of evidence from the ancient world proving planetary-wide trade and sailing would also verify this. One doesn't sail over the horizon if they believe that horizon is an edge from which one can fall to their death!

There's evidence of ancient air travel, space travel, atomic power, weapons of mass destruction, etc. The evidence of a younger earth, noahic flood, language confusion, etc. Just because many of you atheists and pagans out there scoff at the Bible in disbelief doesn't hold water. If the bible stated water was wet, you would choose not to believe it simply because it was in the Bible. I hope you enjoy this.
Not one of the links you posted led to an unbiased site...They are all either biblical or creationist sites and the information there is less than useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top