Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
No one's religion should be influenced by government.
I agree.

Quote:
No you don't, dude. You see prayer as a matter over which the government may exercise advisory authority.
Ok, so I guess you know my thought process and feelings better than I do.

Quote:
But you have no problem with government giving you advice regarding prayer.
The government cannot and will not ever dictate when and where I say a prayer. Like I said, I decide when and where I do. Just because there is time set aside for it, does not mean I would do it every time.

Quote:
You believe prayer is between you, God and the government, dude. That's why you have no problem with the civil authorities issuing religious advice.
Again, you must know me better than I know myself.

Quote:
Why not, dude? You believe the government gives sound religious advice. If the advice is good, why not give the government the power to enforce what you believe is good advice?
Well dude, the government has enough power, we don't need to give them anymore. I think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote:
Where did the state get the power to give us religious advice?
I honestly don't know who gave them that power, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM

415 posts, read 609,967 times
What’s right, or wrong, about the methodology used to arrive at the following interpretation of the Constitution?
The kind of separation that was intended [by the U. S. Constitution] is suggested by Pierre L'Enfant's plan for a national cathedral. In 1791, Congress selected the site to be the capital of the United States. George Washington, previously President of the Constitutional Convention and then President of the United States, then commissioned L'Enfant to design an overall plan for the future seat of government. That plan included a church "intended for national purposes, such as public prayer, thanksgiving, funeral orations, etc., and assigned to the special use of no particular Sect of denomination, but equally open to all." The Founders and Framers favored governmental neutrality among denominations, but they never expected government to be barred from supporting religion generally to please a tiny Godless minority.

--Michael J. Gaynor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality