Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times

Advertisements

Some of these posts are just really weird and kind of off the subject. You know who you are so please stop doing that.

I still don't think it does anything. What faith I have I have is in certain people. What will get me through it is my friends and family that are there for me when I need it, the praying and the non-praying. Peoples actions matter, praying doesn't.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM

109 posts, read 360,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Which brings us back to the OP: Prayer without actual hard work.

I don't think that child suffers because of God's wrath or original sin, BTW. I believe he suffers because we've done a lousy job of taking care of each other and helping each other. We fail to do as we were told by Christ: feed the hungry, take care of the sick. Build a system of food distribution and figure out how to provide clean water to people who have none. Which is needed not just in Africa but on the rez in the Four Corners region. And there is LOTS of blame to be passed around. No need to stop at rolling your eyes that people pray for parking spaces if you get my drift.

Many children died in the bible because of sin, sin from mom and dad and sin for not listening to the man of God. How many babies went into the ark? Sin is sin no such thing as original sin and this sin and that sin. My bible makes it clear all unrighteousness is sin.

Hosea 13:16": Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Amen the Apostle Paul makes it clear unless one or both parents are holy free from sin; their child is just as under the wrath of God as the parents are.

1st Cor 7:14"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy."

When King Herod went crazy or Pharaoh went crazy how many children where saved except for Moses and Jesus? None.

Matthew 2:16": "Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men."

Amen, children inherit sin from their parents unless they repent and turn around.

Jeremiah 2:29": Wherefore will ye plead with me? ye all have transgressed against me, saith the LORD.

"30": In vain have I smitten your children; they received no correction: your own sword hath devoured your prophets, like a destroying lion."

Get in your bible before it is too late

Proverbs 1:24": Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

"25": But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

"26": I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

"27": When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

"28": Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

"29": For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

"30": They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.

"31": Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

"32": For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

"33": But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew39abc View Post
Many children died in the bible because of sin, sin from mom and dad and sin for not listening to the man of God. How many babies went into the ark? Sin is sin no such thing as original sin and this sin and that sin. My bible makes it clear all unrighteousness is sin.

Hosea 13:16": Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Amen the Apostle Paul makes it clear unless one or both parents are holy free from sin; their child is just as under the wrath of God as the parents are.

1st Cor 7:14"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy."

When King Herod went crazy or Pharaoh went crazy how many children where saved except for Moses and Jesus? None.

Matthew 2:16": "Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men."

Amen, children inherit sin from their parents unless they repent and turn around.

Jeremiah 2:29": Wherefore will ye plead with me? ye all have transgressed against me, saith the LORD.

"30": In vain have I smitten your children; they received no correction: your own sword hath devoured your prophets, like a destroying lion."

Get in your bible before it is too late

Proverbs 1:24": Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

"25": But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

"26": I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

"27": When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

"28": Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

"29": For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

"30": They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.

"31": Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

"32": For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

"33": But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
Pure lunacy and sickness brought forth for all to see. Thank You!

As I aptly pointed out in post #138........

Nah, in the minds of fundies like JeeperZ, it is God's will that the child like the one in the picture is suffering. Don't you see, it is part of God's punishment for the countries in Africa and other regions of the globe for being so godless (as in, not worshipping their god). Starvation, floods, sicknesses and epidemics, and other natural disasters are God's way of punishing the wicked (aka anyone other than the types of people similar to JeeperZ).

Above is one of JeeperZ's like thinkers...... Beyond pathetic.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

Nah, in the minds of fundies like JeeperZ, it is God's will that the child like the one in the picture is suffering. Don't you see, it is part of God's punishment for the countries in Africa and other regions of the globe for being so godless (as in, not worshipping their god). Starvation, floods, sicknesses and epidemics, and other natural disasters are God's way of punishing the wicked (aka anyone other than the types of people similar to JeeperZ).

It is more than enough to evoke complete despair for the human condition that such thinking has survived for over 2000+ years of knowledge and understanding.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So? This type of scene plays out in Africa every single day. I guess all the starving are just beyond the range of a food station not 6 metres away.
??????

I merely offered information about a Pulitzer-prize winning, famous photograph that younger people might not know. There was no hidden meaning in my post and no reason for you to snarl.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

Agreed.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
??????

I merely offered information about a Pulitzer-prize winning, famous photograph that younger people might not know. There was no hidden meaning in my post and no reason for you to snarl.
I appreciated it, as I had not heard that information before, thanks.

Some here are so testy, just itching to always argue

Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
There's that bit in the bible about taking his name in vain. Praying for a parking spot is about as "in vain" as it gets, but hey....no skin off my nose. Knock yourself out.
It would be worth remembering that not all prayers are to ASK for something.

Many prayers are prayers of thanksgiving for something given or received - and not something physical or tangible either.

Prayer is just conversation with God - it came "be" in many different forms.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It would be worth remembering that not all prayers are to ASK for something.

Many prayers are prayers of thanksgiving for something given or received - and not something physical or tangible either.

Prayer is just conversation with God - it came "be" in many different forms.
Yep.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
There's that bit in the bible about taking his name in vain. Praying for a parking spot is about as "in vain" as it gets, but hey....no skin off my nose. Knock yourself out.
I think it's the result that's puzzling, not as much what is prayed for. You know that boy prayed. It's logical to me that it doesn't work because if it did, even in the slightest bit, you wouldn't have that picture to post. IMO, of course.

Nobody I know is more deserving than that child. If you can look at that picture without shedding tears and searching the net for something you can do about it other than pray, I'm surprised, that's what surprises me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality