Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
On the contrary, for me, a belief in the afterlife enhances my mortal life. Because I believe I will be reunited again with family and friends.
Then you give your own subjective and entirely baseless worth to it. And you are welcome to it.

And for many humans the personal subjective worth of an idea seems to outweigh any lack of reason to think the idea even remotely credible. Let alone true.

Quote:
If I thought I would never see family/friends for eternity, it would be very difficult for me to enjoy my current/mortal life.
Any yet many of us do think that way.... and seem to live life with no less enjoyment than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Then you give your own subjective and entirely baseless worth to it. And you are welcome to it.
Baseless? That is your opinion.

Quote:
And for many humans the personal subjective worth of an idea seems to outweigh any lack of reason to think the idea even remotely credible. Let alone true.
Let's face it... many humans do wonder what happens to them after they die. They have been wondering about that for many centuries.

Quote:
Any yet many of us do think that way.... and seem to live life with no less enjoyment than you.
Your choice. But I don't see how you can enjoy anything believing you will never see family and friends ever again. As someone once said, an eternity is a long time!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Baseless? That is your opinion.
Until a base is offered then the suggestion something is baseless is not opinion, but an observation of fact. Get over it.

Quote:
Let's face it... many humans do wonder what happens to them after they die. They have been wondering about that for many centuries.
My point exactly. You are just repeating me now.

Quote:
Your choice.
Not a choice at all. My failure to believe something for which NO ONE.... very much less yourself by far son.... has given basis or reason to believe.... is not my choice. I simply can not choose to believe something for which there is no compelling reason to believe. Belief is a compulsion not a subjective whim.

Quote:
But I don't see how you can enjoy anything believing you will never see family and friends ever again
Then all I can do is be grateful that I did not share your blindness.

For example I just spent the last week in my home country celebrating the 70th birthday of my own mother. And I enjoyed it BECAUSE I know I will never see her worth again. Or such a day again.

If I showed up thinking "yea she could die any moment, but who cares cause ill see her in the next life" then why bother celebrating at all? Where is the worth in this life if it is but a prelude to the main feature? And perhaps a main feature after that, and that, and that?

No I drew worth and wealth from the experience BECAUSE I understood the rareness and transience of it. A rareness and transience that you would rob from it with your unsubstantiated fantastical nonsense.

"Eternity IS a long time" indeed. And we get only a nibble upon the apple. Yet you dilute its worth by fantasies about another time never to be.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Until a base is offered then the suggestion something is baseless is not opinion, but an observation of fact. Get over it.
It's still an opinion. Your thoughts are no more valid than mine.

Quote:
Not a choice at all. My failure to believe something for which NO ONE.... very much less yourself by far son.... has given basis or reason to believe.... is not my choice. I simply can not choose to believe something for which there is no compelling reason to believe. Belief is a compulsion not a subjective whim.
It is a choice. A person can choose to have a belief in the afterlife. I do; you don't.

Quote:
Then all I can do is be grateful that I did not share your blindness.
I don't have "blindness." I have belief and faith.

Quote:
For example I just spent the last week in my home country celebrating the 70th birthday of my own mother. And I enjoyed it BECAUSE I know I will never see her worth again. Or such a day again.

If I showed up thinking "yea she could die any moment, but who cares cause ill see her in the next life" then why bother celebrating at all? Where is the worth in this life if it is but a prelude to the main feature? And perhaps a main feature after that, and that, and that?
Some people never cease to amaze me. I can celebrate someone's birthday just as much as you can even though I believe I will see that person in the afterlife.

Quote:
No I drew worth and wealth from the experience BECAUSE I understood the rareness and transience of it. A rareness and transience that you would rob from it with your unsubstantiated fantastical nonsense.

"Eternity IS a long time" indeed. And we get only a nibble upon the apple. Yet you dilute its worth by fantasies about another time never to be.
It's not "fantasies." It's belief and faith. Why not allow those who have it to do so instead of insulting them? Regarding eternity, you will see what I mean someday.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
If I thought I would never see family/friends for eternity, it would be very difficult for me to enjoy my current/mortal life.
Why? Lets say tomorrow you somehow came to the conclusion that you won't ever see your family and friends after you die. What exactly would change for you that would mean going from enjoying your life to not enjoying your life? What things that you enjoy today you would not enjoy tomorrow?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
life is an illusive term. most think they understand life but dont.
most are sleep walking, but think they are awake.
death is something that happens when u cant wake up.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
life is an illusive term. most think they understand life but dont.
most are sleep walking, but think they are awake.
death is something that happens when u cant wake up.
I disagree.

Death is something that happens when we really wake up.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why? Lets say tomorrow you somehow came to the conclusion that you won't ever see your family and friends after you die. What exactly would change for you that would mean going from enjoying your life to not enjoying your life? What things that you enjoy today you would not enjoy tomorrow?
Wow, I'm surprised anyone would even have to ask "why."

Would you be okay with never seeing your parents/family/friends for an eternity? Wouldn't that sadden you even a little?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I disagree.

Death is something that happens when we really wake up.

I remember someone having an NDE (near-death experience). And she was communicating with someone on the other side (I can't post the exact text because I didn't buy the book). But she asked this person "What is it like being dead?" The answer was, "You are the one who is dead."

Makes sense when you think about it... who is more alive... 80 or so years on Earth or an eternity in the afterlife? (This question directed at only the believers of the afterlife.)

Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 AM

14 posts, read 15,182 times
God gives us life in this world to live and learn to worship Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality