Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM

318 posts, read 566,818 times

Advertisements

Back when I was growing up in small town Minnesota I had to go to my parents Lutheran Church every Sunday Morning. I HATED IT. I really looked forward to becoming an adult so I could make my own decisions about what to do on Sunday Morning.

Now that I am an adult I decided to attend a church for the first time in years. My wife a non practicing Catholic was also interested in attending church.

We researched the local churches and found out the fastest growing ones were the ones that are not connected with an actual religion. They were called contemporary churches with a modern service.

Arriving at the Church we were shocked how people were wearing jeans and tennis shoes and most of the service was singers and a hard rock band singing religious songs with drums and a guitar. Then a preacher in jeans came up to the stage and had this modern sermon that went on and on and on and on. His ego was huge and he gave me the impression he was very pleased with himself.

We asked our friends about this church and many of them loved it. To me, it was a business not a church. What do you think of the modern mega churches with rock music?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,436 times
They make me uncomfortable, but then again I was raised Catholic and am now Episcopalian. Neither of those religions are known for winging it or for their cutting edge taste in music.

A lot of the contemporary churches are nondenominational--not linked to any established branch of Christianity. Thus they can do what they want----no need to follow traditional worship services, etc. Some people really like them, say they can relate better than to a centuries old ceremony they don't quite get the significance of.

I prefer what I was raised with. As a friend of mine said, it's a church service, not a hootenanny.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Different strokes for different folks. I am associated with two churches-a Lutheran and an Assembly of God. The Lutheran is traditional and the AG is not. The AG has lively contemporary music-elelctric guitar, keyboard and the dreaded drums. Not to mention your's truly on my sax.

The Luthern has acoustic guitar, keyboard and your's truly on my flute. I like both churches but prefer the Lutheran. The wife? she gets bored at the Lutheran. Really prefers the AG.

IMO better to find a church that fits who YOU are and never mind the rest. The're all part of the Body of Christ.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Jesus said in the bible from Matthew 6: 25, 28, 30......``There fore I say to you , Take no thought for your life, what you will eat, or what you will drink, nor yet for your body , what you will put on...Is not the life more than meat , and the body than clothes?... So why take you thought for clothes? consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin.....Where fore if God so clothed the grass of the field, which day is , and tomorrow us caste into the oven , will he not more clothes you O you have little faith.....```......... See Jesus said it does not matter what kind of clothes people put on, or worry about what clothes to put on , makes no sense , as these scripture people of these churches take literal..... ....

Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Back when I was growing up in small town Minnesota I had to go to my parents Lutheran Church every Sunday Morning. I HATED IT. I really looked forward to becoming an adult so I could make my own decisions about what to do on Sunday Morning.

Now that I am an adult I decided to attend a church for the first time in years. My wife a non practicing Catholic was also interested in attending church.

We researched the local churches and found out the fastest growing ones were the ones that are not connected with an actual religion. They were called contemporary churches with a modern service.

Arriving at the Church we were shocked how people were wearing jeans and tennis shoes and most of the service was singers and a hard rock band singing religious songs with drums and a guitar. Then a preacher in jeans came up to the stage and had this modern sermon that went on and on and on and on. His ego was huge and he gave me the impression he was very pleased with himself.

We asked our friends about this church and many of them loved it. To me, it was a business not a church. What do you think of the modern mega churches with rock music?
I'm a pastor in a small country church. We are non-denominational, but that's where the similarities end with what you saw. I wear a shirt and tie every week. We sing traditional hymns. We sometimes sing a more upbeat song....but we don't have a band.

What you've encountered is a "seeker-sensitive" church. It's not just that it's an Evangelical, non-denominational....but it's that they have decided to try to "do church" for the unchurched. Personally, I think you'd be better off finding a nice Baptist, Missouri or American Lutheran, or Bible church.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
They make me uncomfortable, but then again I was raised Catholic and am now Episcopalian. Neither of those religions are known for winging it or for their cutting edge taste in music.

A lot of the contemporary churches are nondenominational--not linked to any established branch of Christianity. Thus they can do what they want----no need to follow traditional worship services, etc. Some people really like them, say they can relate better than to a centuries old ceremony they don't quite get the significance of.

I prefer what I was raised with. As a friend of mine said, it's a church service, not a hootenanny.
Same here. I'm Presbyterian and I like the formal liturgy, pipe organ, candles, vestments, etc. A thousand chairs in a warehouse environment with a jumbo-tron and rock band just isn't church to me. But I understand that's my preference and I'm sure different people react differently to the different "styles" of Christianity.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Find a church that fits your style, and preaches Jesus, and Him crucified for the remission of sin.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Find a church that fits your style, and preaches Jesus, and Him crucified for the remission of sin.
what he said ^^

Personally, I'd suggest in the order of preaching Jesus and him crucified....then fitting your lifestyle.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM

334 posts, read 451,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
To me, it was a business not a church. What do you think of the modern mega churches with rock music?

ALL churches are businesses, that said, why shouldn't they play rock music with modern instruments?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
what he said ^^

Personally, I'd suggest in the order of preaching Jesus and him crucified....then fitting your lifestyle.
I agree with your order, but was trying to stay on-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality