Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Only in the world of unpardonable sins is suicide unacceptable. I note that within Japanese society it is quite acceptable. It relieves the family, most often destitute ones, of the inevitable costs of medical expense at the end of one's life. I notice that the highest percentage, by an enormous percentage, of medical expenses are paid out within the last few months or weeks of one's life. It might well cost into the $100s of thousands of dollars paid into the greater medical insurance profitizing fund.

So, to look at it all dispassionately, knowing hat (fact) we do indeed all die in the end, why not do it quietly, with self-respect. I know why the great Christian religion despises it, since otherwise all of their sheeple would be crowding around the communal gas pipe trying to speed their entry into Heaven.

And so, understandably, it was decided that suicide had to be yet another unforgivable" sin. Clever, huh?
Plus, if you're dead, you can't tithe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I believe they consider suicide the unpardonable sin, however we don't where his walk with the Lord was so it is God's final judgement not ours as I feel badly for his family.
The Bible is coy about what, exactly, the unpardonable sin is, although there are those who claim to have it nailed. It is variously thought to be suicide, blasphemy against god, or simply "resisting the Holy Spirit" (not accepting Jesus, or according to some, just being particularly resistant, like say, being an obstinate atheist). It has been labeled many other things over the centuries, usually some "sin" that the clergy of that era and denomination considered just too awful to be forgiven. I think the true reason it was written that way is as a counter to "once saved always saved", to keep people uneasy ...

Old 04-16-2013, 12:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I don't know what the unpardonable sin is as identified in the Bible, but the current religious concensus - whether they realize it ir not - is that the supreme Sin is Doubt. Doubt about the existence of gods, doubt about the veracity of scripture, doubt about the claims on which religious authority is based. That is the one area where all the religions of the book will sink their differences and stand together to fight -when threatened with Doubt.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't know what the unpardonable sin is as identified in the Bible, but the current religious concensus - whether they realize it ir not - is that the supreme Sin is Doubt. Doubt about the existence of gods, doubt about the veracity of scripture, doubt about the claims on which religious authority is based. That is the one area where all the religions of the book will sink their differences and stand together to fight -when threatened with Doubt.
That's a fair analysis. Ultimately, unbelief = resisting the holy spirit = blaspheming god = doubt, and that about covers the major theories about what it is. Even if someone asserts that it's some particularly feared bugbear like "sexual sin" or homosexuality or any random thing like masturbating or cursing or smoking or not tithing, those are all resisting the holy spirit in a sense too. You follow those arbitrary man-made rules because you're supposed to believe they are god-made or at the very least directly inferred from god-made rules. Once you break with that fiction in any serious way beyond simply being filled with angst and fear of doubting -- once you actually doubt -- you must become persona non grata.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality