Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Religious Freedom &
I am not going to commit on this issue but here is an article for your consideration and comments. A very interesting read.
That's a pretty ridiculous and biased article. Are we actually supposed to take it seriously?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'll take it that this is actually a serious question/observation. Please note that I said "strictly religious" meaning that it has only religious application. The examples you give are social in nature and are followed even in avowedly atheist governments because there is good reason for them in an orderly society. Any religiously inspired legislation should have to demonstrate that there is good reason for it other than the religious.
From the The Washington, Jefferson & Madison Institute:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.
In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great
pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . .
reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Laws without morals are in vain."
Benjamin Franklin (Motto of the University of Pennsylvania)

"No government can continue good but under the control of the people; and . . . .
their minds are to be informed by education what is right and what wrong;
to be encouraged in habits of virtue and to be deterred from those of vice . . . .
These are the inculcations necessary to render the people a sure basis for the structure and order of government."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
A business owner has to follow the laws of doing business in the state where they operate. Washington state has anti discrimination laws that cover sexual orientation.

Want to open a business? Follow the law.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's a pretty ridiculous and biased article. Are we actually supposed to take it seriously?
Of course!

Then you're supposed to go to the link to Bearing arms.com (complete with photos of guns in the banner) and sign the 2nd Amendment petition.

(No thanks. If I want bias I'll ask the John Birch society to tell me about commies.)

If that sweet old lady wants to run a business in this country she has to abide by the laws.

I'd LOVE to know how many Christians would line up to support her if she said, "I'm sorry but you're Black and my religion tells me you are an inferior race. Please use the door in the back alley and I'll think about whether or not I want to sell anything to you. Don't count on it." Which is exactly what happened prior to Civil Rights legislation in this country.

You, me, that sweet old lady and every single person in this country HAS religious freedom. We are free to choose our religion, (on none), we are free to go to any church we choose, (or none) and the government can not tell us who or what or how to worship. What she wants has nothing to do with religious freedom and everything to do with discrimination.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-15-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A business owner has to follow the laws of doing business in the state where they operate. Washington state has anti discrimination laws that cover sexual orientation.

Want to open a business? Follow the law.
There is also a thing called Freedom of Religion--guaranteed to us by the Constitution. It overrules the state's law of how to conduct business.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
There is also a thing called freedom from fanatics who scream fire, when there is none.
Freedom of speech, does not give you the right to create a panic; and mass confusion.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is also a thing called Freedom of Religion--guaranteed to us by the Constitution. It overrules the state's law of how to conduct business.
That's not correct. There are limits if those religious practices are against the law for everyone.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 AM

367 posts, read 370,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of course!

Then you're supposed to go to the link to Bearing arms.com (complete with photos of guns in the banner) and sign the 2nd Amendment petition.

(No thanks. If I want bias I'll ask the John Birch society to tell me about commies.)

If that sweet old lady wants to run a business in this country she has to abide by the laws.

I'd LOVE to know how many Christians would line up to support her if she said, "I'm sorry but you're Black and my religion tells me you are an inferior race. Please use the door in the back alley and I'll think about whether or not I want to sell anything to you. Don't count on it." Which is exactly what happened prior to Civil Rights legislation in this country.

You, me, that sweet old lady and every single person in this country HAS religious freedom. We are free to choose our religion, (on none), we are free to go to any church we choose, (or none) and the government can not tell us who or what or how to worship. What she wants has nothing to do with religious freedom and everything to do with discrimination.
Actually we have the right to refuse to do business with anyone we choose to in a private business in this country. There is no Federal law against it and has never been a Federal court case on that issue. All the civil rights cases involved offering differing services to customers a business choose to do business with based on race. Like a gas station selling product to someone but then making them use a different rest room based on the color of their skin. Had they refused to do business with them that would have prevented the Federal Government standing in the situation under the Interstate Commerce clause. It's like the apartments that refuse to rent to people under age 55 or gym's that refuse to allow men to use their facilities. While we may not like the reason someone chooses to not do business with someone, they do have that right in most of the United States. This case is based on a state law and I doubt it will hold up once it hits the Federal courts. But then again you never know. If you get it before the right judge you could get any result.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 AM

5 posts, read 3,394 times
i think freedom of religion means to celebrate all of my right in any occasion.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Incorrect. For starters, there are Federal laws regarding discrimination by a business. And the 1st Amendment is not absolute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality