U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 5,636,010 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful thing knowing all tresspasses are freely forgiven. What tremendous Peace knowing their is no condemnation by my Faith in Jesus clothed with His righteousness by Faith. It's not only saving from the damnation I deserve for my rebellion, but for fellowship with the Father who is love and desires to demonstrate His love to us.

We were ultimately created for fellowship. God like the angels, has given us free will. We have been given the freedom to respond to His initiative of Love demonstrated on that cross. He won't violate our free will however. He wants His people to love Him, and there is no other way than to test it by faith through trials walking by faith not sight.

Salvation is a gift freely given and demonstration of God's love to us available to the humble, repentant heart recognizing our offense.

So why reject Christ? You don't like or think you can live up to His law? No one could without His Spirit which He gives those that come to Him.

He through Jesus Christ has fulfilled the law (Galatians 3) and redeemed mankind from its curse as we have fallen short of it's perfection. The "good news" is that Christ paid the Just penalty for you if you simply respond by faith to the gospel. The righteousness requirement of the Law is fulfilled in these embracing a beautiful life in fellowship with the Father as their sins are washed away and forgotten by the blood of Christ.

So why reject such a beautiful offer? Christ has done the Work.

How do you think God feels when people reject His ultimate sacrifice for them, being made accursed for them. Bleeding for us,

Does this not touch your heart at all?

Out of all the reading of the Word, I've come to a conclusion man's greatest danger is not Satan, but a prideful hardened heart.

God resists the proud but gives Grace to the humble. Grace is God giving us what we do not deserve, life through his anointed one Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 53
All we like sheep have gone astray, and the LORD hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

John 3:36
He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.

John 3:19-21
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For everyone that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds be reproved.

But he that does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by Grace are he saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God lest any man should boast.

For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, that God has ordained we should walk in them.

God is inviting you into His Kingdom by His Christ. No more corruption, wars, rapes, murders.

No more will animals tear at the flesh of one another which is evidence of our currently cursed creation.

Decay, the laws of entropy, etc all confirm what the scriptures say.. That we currently are in bondage to sin and death due to sin and the curse. God has conquered death and the curse for us. All we have to do is accept it and respond by faith obedient to Him.

Christ bore that curse purchasing it back to the Father, and is offering Salvation to any that call on Jesus from the heart for salvation. God won't hear the proud but declares He will not turn away a broken contrite heart sincerely seeking forgiveness through Christ.

So why reject God's love and offer for salvation through Christ when this is all true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM

14,309 posts, read 9,911,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
(Many paragraphs of theological bloviations and assertions here)

So why reject God's love and offer for salvation through Christ when this is all true?
Because not everyone can accept something as true because it's asserted by someone or written down in a book that is asserted to be from a deity or because a lot of people believe the same things.

You believe all of that theology and dogma because you choose to, not because it is objectively, verifiably true in any meaningful sense of those words.

People don't "reject Christ" in the sense that you mean that phrase. You can't reject an overture from a non-existant being. People reject the set of assumptions upon which the belief in Christ is based, which includes the notion that believing without any sense evidence or other actionable data is a valid thing to do. Your religion turns such thought patterns into a virtue rather than what they are, which is, at best, a waste of time, and at worst, a vice.

You don't have to agree with me of course, but what I want to get across (assuming, perhaps foolishly, that you asked the question sincerely) is that we don't believe. That is why we don't accept. You can't turn belief on and off like a spigot and you can't accept what you don't believe. Some of us cannot believe based on faith, we need evidence.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 AM

30,013 posts, read 15,777,185 times
Quote:
...snip....

Because I, and most of the world, don't believe it is true.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

48,617 posts, read 14,583,580 times
"... they claimed that the first version of the sentence was the more aesthetically pleasing, summoned a qualified poet to testify under oath that beauty was truth, truth beauty and hoped thereby to prove that the guilty party in this case was Life itself for failing to be either beautiful or true. The judges concurred, and in a moving speech held that Life itself was in contempt of court, and duly confiscated it from all those there present ....” (Hitch -hiker's guide to the galaxy)

Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM

16,167 posts, read 11,271,824 times
Quote:
So why reject Christ?
Same reason that you reject Shiva.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,474,169 times
I reject it because it's not fitting to my personality. It is fitting to yours. The religion or belief people pick reflects who they are, what they desire, and imagine. There are many, many choices out there. What you choose tells a lot about you. IMO.

If I were to pick Christianity I would have to desire others burning in an eternity of hell fire, or some other eternal damning end that never ends. I personally can't imagine that. I have no desire to harm anyone, for any reason.

If I picked Christianity I'd have to desire or imagine a demon like creature possessing others. I can't. I think people who do harmful acts are mentally ill. I'd choose research and treatment for them, I'd help the victims through my active participation not praying. That is who I am personally. That's what I desire.

So, I imagine when faced with a choice of heaven or hell I'd pick neither. Which I have, and that reflects who I am, my desires and what I imagine.

Like I've said before, the religion you pick reflects who you are as a human. It's telling. You need guidance as an adult, like a child still needing its mother or father. It helps you get through life in spite of committing yourself to damning others to a hell and such when they don't feel the need for said guidance. It's worth it to Christians. It's not to me, that's why I'm an atheist. I see nothing positive about it at all. IMO.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM

13,391 posts, read 16,877,977 times
Quote:
What a beautiful thing knowing all tresspasses are freely forgiven. The "good news" is that Christ paid the Just penalty for you if you simply respond by faith to the gospel. The righteousness requirement of the Law is fulfilled in these embracing a beautiful life in fellowship with the Father as their sins are washed away and forgotten by the blood of Christ.

Christ bore that curse purchasing it back to the Father, and is offering Salvation to any that call on Jesus from the heart for salvation.

Partly because I wouldn't savor sharing heaven with a remorseful, "broken contrite heart" of a person who's killed and murdered others for profit or pleasure.....Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, or excusing someones past evil deeds...better your God give THEM salvation than a unbeliever like me...I wouldn't want to waste his time when He's got soooooo much forgiven to do.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM

1,808 posts, read 1,700,750 times
Quote:
Because I couldn't follow that path if I wanted to continue to grow as a spiritual person.

You see, I went to church -- I was brought up in a Christian household. I sat in the church, I sang the hymns, and I listened to the sermons (for the record, our local minister has a doctorate in ministry, and writes some very fascinating stuff).

One day, I woke up and tried to objectively consider where my journey had taken me. Were there still lessons that I could learn, or was I comfortable enough that I could walk off the path without getting lost?

After a lot of consideration, the only conclusion I could come to was that it was no longer fruitful for me to walk that path. I needed to find a new way to look at things, a new way to study and grow, and new lessons to learn.

Will I go back? It's hard to say. I certainly didn't 'reject' Christ or Christianity, so when (and if) I go back, there may be more lessons for me to learn. For the moment, though, Christianity is not where I'm supposed to be.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM

794 posts, read 1,262,407 times
Quote:
Out of all the reading of the Word, I've come to a conclusion man's greatest danger is not Satan, but a prideful hardened heart.
You're spontaneously posting how great you are, how fun and excellent your religion is, and yet you think I'm prideful because I think your god's Moderator cut: deleted ? Seriously? You're even capitalising "word" and that's meant to be humble and self effacing?

From now on to demonstrate my incredible humility to all I'm only going to refer to myself in the third person, capitalised. Or maybe the royal we. Hmmm. Consideration is required, We think.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-18-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 AM

65 posts, read 68,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post

Will I go back? It's hard to say. I certainly didn't 'reject' Christ or Christianity, so when (and if) I go back, there may be more lessons for me to learn. For the moment, though, Christianity is not where I'm supposed to be.
I too was brought up in a Christian Home,Went to church the better part of my life and have been a believer and follower of Christ up to the present.Though i no longer subscribe to the Christian religion, nor do i attend church, however i see nothing wrong with attending church services if one understands that church is just another religion like the rest.

I came to this point in my life where i had to distinguish between a relationship with Christ and the Christian Religion because they are two separate things.Christ did not start a religion called Christianity with all it's structures, rituals and bureaucracy. All that is a creation of man and it has hindered some people from seeing the beauty of the person of Christ yet Christianity claims to speak for him.

Personally i dont think i will go back to the church world/christian religion but i will not reject Christ, just because others who claim to speak for Him,have error-ed in their understanding of true spirituality by creating a system that undermines the faith in Christ.

Hope you continually open your heart to Christ even when you are outside the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality