Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
They are different gods with different attributes to Yahweh.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about YOU having experiences with other gods, I'm asking you if you consider the gods of other religions to be real because the followers of those gods claim personal experiences with those gods, in the same way that you claim Yahweh is real because YOU claim to have had a personal experience with him?

But it does in that particular area. If one is presented with verifiable evidence that proves something true or false but one refuses to accept that evidence because it does not gel with what they want to be true then one is not thinking critically.

Look friend! Every single waking minute of your day, you use logic and critical thinking to dismiss thousands of examples of primitive, superstitious, imaginary deities and mythical creatures such as mermaids, goblins, pixies etc, yet you don’t seem able to use that very same logic and critical thinking with which you dismiss other superstitious nonsense to dismiss your own superstitious beliefs. You dismiss other gods and mythical creatures with logic, reason, common sense and critical thinking, but when it comes to your particular god you throw all that logic, reason, common sense and critical thinking out of the window and rely instead on 'faith'.

Maybe people expect such thing because that is EXACTLY what BibleJesus promised would happen...

"You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:14.

...or perhaps you think Jesus was lying on this one huh?
You don't now me, Rafius. How do you know I do all these things?

I will say that you and many on this section of the forum from all faiths are subject to the same mode of thinking. You don't know every single person on this Earth, and you certainly don't know me and it would be wise to treat people as individuals. I feel it's silly to keep lumping people in groups. The indoctrinated vs. the critical thinkers is an isolating ideology and in no way incorporates the full embodiment of an individual. I'm not all "superstition" and you're not a computer.

I'll leave it at that. While you continue to bemoan the belief in God, I'll go off and continue to offer my God given talents to the betterment of this world and it'll be to God's credit. In the words of a Hindu man I happen to admire, I'll be the change I want to see in the world. Arguing with people who are angry with God or who don't believe in Him isn't how I want to go about my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
If God cannot save the girl from being raped because of free will, then how do you explain the occasions when God IS praised for intervening and saving someone from an explosion, a car accident, ect. ?
I am sure my answer will not satisfy you so I do apologize in advance, but all I can say is for me and other Christians, there is an understanding that there are just some things in this life that will never make sense to us - that will never be explained to our satisfaction.

We step out in faith that God has reasons for all that he does, or doesn't do, and are willing to wait for answers in his time and his place.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am sure my answer will not satisfy you so I do apologize in advance, but all I can say is for me and other Christians, there is an understanding that there are just some things in this life that will never make sense to us - that will never be explained to our satisfaction.

We step out in faith that God has reasons for all that he does, or doesn't do, and are willing to wait for answers in his time and his place.
Generally when things don't make sense they are not true, and there is much about god belief that makes no sense....When I left Christianity behind I discovered to my amazement that things did make sense....If you want things to make sense, then you need to stop believing in nonsensical myths.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Maybe people expect such thing because that is EXACTLY what BibleJesus promised would happen...

"You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:14.

...or perhaps you think Jesus was lying on this one huh?

Jesus doesn't lie You have simply misunderstood and therefore misinterpreted what Jesus was saying in John 14:14. As Royalite stated, he is not a genie in a bottle to grant all our wishes.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
You don't now me, Rafius. How do you know I do all these things?
Well let's see shall we? DO you dismiss deities other than Yahweh and mythical creatures such as mermaids, goblins and pixies or am I wrong?

Quote:
I will say that you and many on this section of the forum from all faiths are subject to the same mode of thinking.
Of course they are. They use logic, reason, common sense and critical thinking to dismiss all other gods but the one they personally believe in...just like you do.

Quote:
You don't know every single person on this Earth, and you certainly don't know me and it would be wise to treat people as individuals.
'By their fruit shall you know them.'

Quote:
I'll leave it at that. While you continue to bemoan the belief in God, I'll go off and continue to offer my God given talents to the betterment of this world and it'll be to God's credit.
I did the same when I was younger but I did it because I wanted to benefit others rather than please a god and earn 'get into heaven' points.

Quote:
In the words of a Hindu man I happen to admire, I'll be the change I want to see in the world.
That same Hindu said... "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ"

Quote:
Arguing with people who are angry with God or who don't believe in Him isn't how I want to go about my life.
Yet you are here!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Jesus doesn't lie You have simply misunderstood and therefore misinterpreted what Jesus was saying in John 14:14. .
Oh..you're back! Then why don't you explain where I have misinterpreted; or is this yet another case of the Bible not meaning what it says?

Quote:
As Royalite stated, he is not a genie in a bottle to grant all our wishes
Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Well let's see shall we? DO you dismiss deities other than Yahweh and mythical creatures such as mermaids, goblins and pixies or am I wrong?

Of course they are. They use logic, reason, common sense and critical thinking to dismiss all other gods but the one they personally believe in...just like you do.

'By their fruit shall you know them.'

I did the same when I was younger but I did it because I wanted to benefit others rather than please a god and earn 'get into heaven' points.

That same Hindu said... "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ"

Yet you are here!
Actually I believe in angels. I actually saw one before. But I don't expect you to believe me. You haven't seen one and there isn't any science behind their existence. I think I said the same thing about other gods from ancient times? If I remember clearly, I said I haven't had any experience with them. So no, I don't believe in them. I have heard the voice of God, however, and that's how I know He's real. Before that I just believed in Him. But you haven't, right? And there's no science to back me up so let's just say I don't expect you to believe in Him either. It would be great if you didn't see and believe. But you don't and I can't impose that on you. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to cut people down for not seeing life as you do.

I was actually comparing you to even the Christians on this forum who feel the need to impose their views. You're very similar to them as well and so in that sense, your ego and need to be right is your linking factor to them. I personally see no point in doing so. After all is said and done, for example, the girl was raped. So now you have a certain situation on your hands. Now what do you do? Turn and blame God? I believe in Him and I don't blame Him but you don't believe in Him but you do? Or are you simply trying to get me to be mad at a God I see no point in being angry with? Either way, the girl was raped. To turn and point blame is really only a cause for discord. That's all part of Team Building 101. Hence the reason I say, "be the change you want to see in the world"

And I am here, you're right. I came here with the intention of sharing and learning, not to tear down other's beliefs. Where is the growth in that? To me Christianity is about learning to live with my fellow man and in harmony with God, but these posts only create discord and in no way reflect what I want to put out into the world.

9/11, for example, happened not just to those who believed in God. It happened to those who didn't. Now I'm sure there are those who stopped believing in God when the event happened. Many did not. I didn't. And there were those who never believed to begin with. Nevertheless the events transpired and we had to deal with it, not just christians or those who believed in God, but everyone.

So whether you believe in God or not, there is bad in the world. And I'm sorry if that upsets you that I believe in an unconditionally loving God despite the fact that bad exists in the world. But I see no point in blaming God. All the anger in the world only serves to upset the one who's angry and you might even spread that around to others. You don't know who's lives you're affecting by your mere presence. That, to me, is the God in you. So whether you believe or not, or even if you like the fact that there are people who believe in God in the world, God exists for me.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Oh..you're back! Then why don't you explain where I have misinterpreted; or is this yet another case of the Bible not meaning what it says?

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
LOL, I can't sit here ALL day you know, I do have a life to live - though it's gratifying to know you missed me

Okay, in John 14:14 Jesus says "Ask me for anything in my name and I will do it."

This is but one part of a whole chapter of instruction and explanation Jesus was giving to his disciples about his leaving earth and how they were to continue to work to bring about God's kingdom on earth once he was gone.

When Jesus says to "ask for anything" the disciples were to ask for things in line with God's will, not their own selfish or individual desires. That's what the "in my name" part means.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:22 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:

I am satisfied that you gave me a sincere answer. I generally think highly of people who are able to say "I don't know" when asked a question.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Actually I believe in angels. I actually saw one before. But I don't expect you to believe me.
Just as well, I don't.

Quote:
I think I said the same thing about other gods from ancient times? If I remember clearly, I said I haven't had any experience with them. So no, I don't believe in them.
You're just not getting it are you? I'll try one last time. If you think your god is real because you have had a personal experience with it, why do you not consider that other gods are also real based on the claims by those that believe in those god to have had, just like you, a personal experience of their god. In other words, if your 'experience' with your god is evidence that your god is real then you should be intellectually honest and accept that the personal experiences that those of other faiths have had with THEIR gods is also evidence that THEIR god are real too. If you are not prepared to do that then you are invoking the fallacy of 'Special Pleading' by saying that you will not allow the same terms and conditions to others that you expect yourself.

Quote:
I have heard the voice of God,...
When people talk to gods it's called prayer. When gods talk back to them it's called 'Schizophrenia'.

Quote:
I was actually comparing you to even the Christians on this forum who feel the need to impose their views. You're very similar to them as well and so in that sense, your ego and need to be right is your linking factor to them.
I'll put that down to you being unable to put up a refutation to me.

Quote:
And I am here, you're right. I came here with the intention of sharing and learning, not to tear down other's beliefs.
No, you didn't come here to learn at all. You have no intention of learning. Your mind is made up and you will not change it no matter what you are presented with.

Let me ask you.. If there was one seat left in the boat that was ferrying people to heaven, and everyone who did not get in the boat was going to hell, would you give up your seat for someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality