Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times

Advertisements

Have any of you atheists/agnostics clearly read the New Testament and Jesus scriptures, and still deny it, do not like Christ, and are not becoming Christians?

I was once irreligious, but after studying the New Testament and read Jesus amazing speeches I converted. Being Christian means following Christ (although nobody could possibly be like Him).

How could you not like how Jesus taught us love, forgiveness and peace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
No interest.

And you can learn about love, forgiveness and peace without religion. Religion is not the only way.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
.. You're right the rape, murder, torture, countless holy wars and slavery on and of unfathomable numbers of men women and children since the start of these fables was only a lesson in the teachings of his love, and how to spread it. Silly me for not seeing that!!! Guess that's a "my bad" on Christianity's part

Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Yes, many of us have read the Bible, NT and OT alike, and have not converted or returned to Christianity because of it.

Finding nuggets of useful concepts in the teachings of Jesus does not obligate us to buy into the whole package, any more than finding moral lessons in the Lord of the Rings obligates me to become a hobbit.

Ultimately, fo rme the NT paints a very different picture now than it did when I was a believer. Now I see the story of a Jewish apocalyptic teacher possibly with aspirations of being the messiah, as told by those who rewrote the story to create their own religion, and cement its position. The ways in which the doctrine evolved from something close to Judaism to being openly hostile to its religion, the wresting of control from the jerusalem leadership, by Paul and his gentile converts, these are all much more interesting stories than the mythological content. It is when you read around the edges, so to speak, that you can see the shape of the all to human drama that resonates much more deeply with me than a deity being a blood sacrifice to His father.

-NoCapo

Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
No interest.

And you can learn about love, forgiveness and peace without religion. Religion is not the only way.
I understand that. But having a person to love and pray may make life easier and more comfort. Or?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
At any point in your reading did you stop and question whether or not any of the material being presented can be established as true?

The impression you leave is one which suggests that what you read made you feel good, and that was all it took to get you to believe it.

If you had read the Koran first, you'd probably be a Muslim.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
I understand that. But having a person to love and pray may make life easier and more comfort. Or?
Naw, it didn't work for me.

I have someone to love and who loves me and it doesn't take faith for him to be real for me. He exists regardless. As does his love and affection.

In place of prayer, I will often use meditation and positive affirmation, which also provide some comfort.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
What comfort does he bring? Do you feel comfortable in the fact that you talk to thin air and aren't deemed clinically insane because you put the label religion to the act?

I have my husband to comfort me with actual physical touch and words that i can feel and hear, and I take responsibility for my "sins" and mistakes instead of just pushing them off to an invisibly being to make myself feel better. Praying to a god for us is like you praying to your shoes, it's stupid and you feel like a fool in the end.
Does praying to your god pay your bills to make your life easier, more comfortable? Is he setting you up with job interviews? Making the calls for you. You coming on here trying to convert us or rationalize your belief to free thinkers is ridiculous. We control our lives and like it that way.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You love Jesus because of where you were born/live. Had you been Born or raised other places in the world Jesus would be a nonsense story to you. Btw his story is a reselling of hundreds of similar stories before him. All just as obsolete

Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Have any of you atheists/agnostics clearly read the New Testament and Jesus scriptures, and still deny it, do not like Christ, and are not becoming Christians?
I have read it multiple times. As a founding member of Atheist Ireland I am also one of the people who support their campaign in Ireland to get MORE people to read the Bible. I also heavily support Christopher Hitchens Quote where he said that no true appreciation for the English Literature course in Schools and colleges.... from Milton to Shakspeare.... is truely complete if one does not have a solid foundation in the King James version of the Bible.

All that said I am not entirely sure what you are asking or saying. I have read/studied the Bible indeed but what exactly it is you want me to "accept" or "deny"? To me it is just a work of moral folklore and both it and the words attributed to the Nazarene take their place in the wealth of moral teachings our species has collectively produced.

Quote:
Who says we do not exactly? We might not accept that god exists or that Jesus was anything more than human. But one does not _have_ to accept any of that nonsense in order to see wisdom and utility in the more pleasant parts of what this Moral Philosopher was purported to have preached.

You would do well to separate in your mind the moral teachings of the Jesus character and the claims that said character was not fully human. One can study, accept and even assimilate the former without wasting a breath on the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality