Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM

231 posts, read 326,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
wait, I'm sorry. I didn't understand what you mean.
I understand the appeal of forming a god and worshiping it to "find what works for you." It would still just be a god made in the image of man, though. Nothing better than any other idol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,991,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
I understand the appeal of forming a god and worshiping it to "find what works for you." It would still just be a god made in the image of man, though. Nothing better than any other idol.
Okay

Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM

247 posts, read 236,053 times
Quote:
What makes you think choosing one would make it faster? It would literally take forever to study all religions deeply...even just one.
But most folk here in the US stop after hearing about just the first one and never bother looking at any of the rest (very few read their own holy book cover-to-cover even once, much less any in-depth non-critical study); granted, the OP wants to break from what everybody else is doing by looking into Islam though.

Quote:
And why alphabetical? Do you do the same when choosing an ontology, anthropology, epistemology, ethic, politic, etc.?
I'm a little OCD personally ...when standing in front of a huge bookcase, I tend to start at either A or Z (seldom in the middle). ...I guess "Zeus" would be okay since he's Apollo's dad and all. That whole "trying to look at everything" just takes too much time, and then you might start thinking all of them had problems and were just made up or something.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,779,557 times
Quote:
Not convinced there is any other kind. If you have to have one, pick the pone that works for you. my preference would be that it wouldn't endorse genocide, rape, or other assorted injustice, but my preference has no real bearing on the OP's choice of religion. If a particular belief enables him to be a more loving, just, equitable person, he should go with that.

-NoCapo

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
But most folk here in the US stop after hearing about just the first one and never bother looking at any of the rest (very few read their own holy book cover-to-cover even once, much less any in-depth non-critical study); granted, the OP wants to break from what everybody else is doing by looking into Islam though.
The Muslim God is very impersonal by nature. The OP would not be able to talk to him like he did as a child.

Quote:
I'm a little OCD personally ...when standing in front of a huge bookcase, I tend to start at either A or Z (seldom in the middle). ...I guess "Zeus" would be okay since he's Apollo's dad and all. That whole "trying to look at everything" just takes too much time, and then you might start thinking all of them had problems and were just made up or something.
Again, do you do the same with respect to all of metaphysics? I would think your worldview would become extremely conflicted.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Not convinced there is any other kind. If you have to have one, pick the pone that works for you. my preference would be that it wouldn't endorse genocide, rape, or other assorted injustice, but my preference has no real bearing on the OP's choice of religion. If a particular belief enables him to be a more loving, just, equitable person, he should go with that.

-NoCapo
These are conflicting statements.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM

247 posts, read 236,053 times
Quote:
The Muslim God is very impersonal by nature. The OP would not be able to talk to him like he did as a child.
I don't think that's accurate ...I can talk to just about any god and have the same outcome (they ALL seem fairly impersonal to me). Adults can't quite talk to Santa like they did as children either.

Quote:
Again, do you do the same with respect to all of metaphysics? I would think your worldview would become extremely conflicted.
I'm not that conflicted at all, the order in how I tend to choose reading material has little to do with what I choose to believe in (or not).

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,779,557 times
Quote:
These are conflicting statements.
No not really, but let me rephrase for those afflicted with the disease of radical pedanticism...

One's personal belief are just that, personal, and no one should make their own choice based solely on my opinions.

That being said, my opinion is that whatever religion will help you to be more loving, just, equitable, honest, and kind is a good choice. I certainly think it is a better choice than one that promotes violence, fear, guilt, and shame. If asked for my opinion, which is kind of what the OP is doing by posting on a discussion board,this is what I would say.

-NoCapo

Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
I don't think that's accurate ...I can talk to just about any god and have the same outcome (they ALL seem fairly impersonal to me). Adults can't quite talk to Santa like they did as children either.
The OP is not an atheist. However, to want a personal relationship with someone who is impersonal by nature would be futile.

Quote:
I'm not that conflicted at all, the order in how I tend to choose reading material has little to do with what I choose to believe in (or not).
Ok, so what made you stop at Apollo?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
No not really, but let me rephrase for those afflicted with the disease of radical pedanticism...

One's personal belief are just that, personal, and no one should make their own choice based solely on my opinions.

That being said, my opinion is that whatever religion will help you to be more loving, just, equitable, honest, and kind is a good choice. I certainly think it is a better choice than one that promotes violence, fear, guilt, and shame. If asked for my opinion, which is kind of what the OP is doing by posting on a discussion board,this is what I would say.

-NoCapo
I'm guessing by "personal" you mean "private"? This would be exactly the opposite of what the OP said he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality