Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It wasn't supposed to mean that god would give you whatever your heart desires,
but rather, that god would give you right desires. .
Let's break that verse down; Ps 37:4....
First one must ask themselves what does Delight mean.
Delight in the Lord? What could that possibly mean?

Well, how does one delight in a puppy...you kiss it and play with it and smell it and hold it close ...
A flower? You smile and put your nose right in it and touch it's soft petals to your face and display it for it's fragrance to fill a room .
Your spouse? You spend time with them, get close to them, comfort them, laugh with them, hold them near...
All of the above ways to delight in something are "intimate", up close and personal.

To delight in the Lord, for me, is to be still,
feel Him near, to feel His Divine Presence,
To give myself to Him and He to me...it is the most
Intimate relationship and we were made for it.

When one deeply delights in the Lord,
soon the only desire that one really has
Is more of Him...and He gives that desire to the
Heart...along with anything else it may favor.

My understanding of the verse after much practice of it and contemplation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 PM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, as I see it, a person can have the faith of a saint....that God is love, nothing is impossible to Him, He can heal me and so on...lots of faith and love for Him and obedience, for example...BUT, if there is a sliver of "But, He won't heal me. I don't deserve His love, I'm so bad. I deserve this illness (or poverty and lousy relationships and mean boss), there's a lesson in this, I'm being punished..."
That belief in itself cancels the faith for something better...it is being blocked by double mindedness...."Lord help me....well, but there's something I need to learn obviously being miserable". Well, which is it?
Yep, if it works, god gets the credit; if not, it's all your fault somehow. If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard that one ... [sigh]

Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
When one deeply delights in the Lord,
soon the only desire that one really has
Is more of Him...and He gives that desire to the
Heart...along with anything else it may favor.
Ah. Pretty much the same difference as official IFCA dogma then. It really is the only way to spin that verse in the presence of the real world, I guess.

1) If you love god in the right way he will make you happy.
2) If you are not happy you don't love god in the right way.

This vicious circle is the source of so much suffering on the part of earnest, sincere, lovely people who pour their hearts into their relationship with god only to have them broken.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM

So in other words, it makes no difference what anyone would ever say.
I don't like the word "fault" or blame...they just aren't in my vocabulary...but to explain
or give some insight or reason why when we ask for something and it never happens...the way
It works for me is to follow the "formula".

Actually, as far as credit goes...when the woman made her way so weakened and sick thru a crowd
(illegaly bec she was not to be in public with her condition) and touched Jesus' robe...it is quite telling the
He didn't say, Go in peace bec I have healed you...or thank our Father for healing you...but here he is saying
Daughter your faith has healed you. This is not saying anything personally for u to get mad at bec of your brother...but I have a feeling you will take it that way, none the less.
We can have subconscious beliefs or desires or that plan of an exit point that has nothing to do with "fault".
I'm sorry you think that...maybe others have insensitively expressed that it was his "fault"...that was wrong if they did that.

There is no blame or fault in your brother or anyone else as to why he died.
Sometimes we make (well, you may not believe this but I do) a plan that we will exit here when we are 12 or 80, quickly or painfully for what reason only our soul and our Spirit Guide and others on the Other Side know the reason.

I have no desire to change your beliefs, tho, really...my intention was to talk to people who want to be inspired ...not to make believers out of anyone, but to maybe remind someone that needed it.

So, there's nothing for us to say to each other at this point, as I see it.
You believe one thing and I believe another.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I have no desire to change your beliefs, tho, really...my intention was to talk to people who want to be inspired ...not to make believers out of anyone, but to maybe remind someone that needed it.

So, there's nothing for us to say to each other at this point, as I see it.
You believe one thing and I believe another.
Indeed. However, just to be clear, I don't think you are the least bit disingenuous in your beliefs and I wish you well. Nor did I mean to rain on your parade. I think it's great that you want to inspire others.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Indeed. However, just to be clear, I don't think you are the least bit disingenuous in
your beliefs and I wish you well.
Nor did I mean to rain on your parade.
I think it's great that you want to inspire others.
Thanks, mordant. Very kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality